Posted on | December 13, 2012 | 14 Comments
Frances at 5 weeks. Romper from Boden.
I can’t believe how quickly the past weeks have gone by! Frances is already so big and weighed 12 lbs at her 1-month check-up. She’s so sweet and we love her to pieces.
We’re getting ready for Christmas (urg, still need christmas tree). I’ve really wanted to start a tradition of making Frances one handmade gift from me each year. I planned on knitting her a garter stitch hat and a matching simple baby blanket from Rose Quartz yarn I bought this summer at Swans Island in Maine. But with 12 days to go I’m nervous I won’t get the projects finished—the hat is the only thing I have on the needles! For back-up I picked up a hat and mittens handmade from Misha*Puff in Maine. Maybe it’s cheating but I figure I should cut myself a break with a newborn? And it’s more important for me to enjoy this time with her then to run myself ragged. Other traditions on my list (so far):
- Make a gingerbread house together for Marblehead’s Gingerbread Festival
- Make homemade sticky buns to snack on while we unwrap presents (We started this one a few years ago)
- Make homemade Christmas stockings
- Cut down a Christmas tree on my birthday (dec 9th and we already missed this year!)
- Open up one present on Christmas Eve (tradition from my childhood)
We have some house projects coming together in the next few weeks—my Christmas presents! Stay tuned for details on how to install a washer/dryer (essential with a baby) in an old house and building a simple bookcase to hold all my design books for this room on the wall we found the mummified squirrel.