Jenny Lind Style Dresser

Posted on | August 16, 2012 | 50 Comments

jenny lind dresser Jenny Lind Style Dresser

I’ve been searching for an antique dresser for the nursery. I was exploring a hundred different dresser styles but wasn’t really sure what I wanted. Did I want something country cottage style or more grown-up Swedish look? I spotted this dresser at Grace Sales in Marblehead and fell in love. It’s Jenny Lind style with a detachable mirror. The drawers all slide and it’s in really good condition. Better yet? I picked it up for $210!

I could paint the dresser or leave as is? So now that I have the dresser I need to pick a crib. There are a million cribs on the market but most of them feel a bit more modern. The more traditional styles tend to have cutesy curves and feel too feminine for me. I want something that’s a mix of both that I can mix with antique pieces like my dresser.

At first, I really fell for the Sparrow Crib by Oeuf ($730) and the Mid-Century Crib from Dwell Studio ($980). Both have simple lines and I love the round spindles that give the cribs a shaker feel. What I don’t like are the solid panels on the ends. I want a crib that has spindles all around and gives me clear visibility of baby from all angles of the room.

modern white cribs Jenny Lind Style Dresser

I like the idea of having spindles all around but I would prefer the spindles to be round. I found a few traditional styles and one very modern round version from Stokke. I have a number of friends who swear by the Stokke Sleepi System that includes a bassinet option that coverts to a crib and then a toddler bed. And within any piece of furniture it can be swayed in a different style direction with a mix of more traditional pieces in the space. Below my four picks.

white cribs spindles traditional Jenny Lind Style Dresser

1. Millbrook Iron Crib from Restoration Hardware Baby & Child, $849. Very traditional and doesn’t convert to a toddler bed.

2. Stokke Sleep System, $999. Modern but could be a cool mix with more antique pieces. And I like that conversion option and that can easily roll around from room-to-room. But the round sheets kinda drive me crazy.

3. Jenny Lind Cribby Da Vinci, $199. Very traditional and budget-friendly but I worry about the sturdiness of the construction based on online reviews.

4. Liberty Crib from Franklin and Ben, available through Giggle $349. Similar to the Jenny Lind crib but looks a bit heavier and has extra scalloped edges.

Oh whoops and one more! I forgot to add…I spotted this crib on Unison’s website. They sell super adorable stripe crib sheets and skirts! I’m pretty sure the crib pictured is the Anderson Crib from The Land Of Nod ($749)?

unison sheets crib Jenny Lind Style Dresser

So which one would you choose? For nursery inspiration check out my “Baby Stuff” Pinterest board.

Related Post:
Brainstorming Nursery: Watery Pinks, Blues and Greens

pixel Jenny Lind Style Dresser

Comments

50 Responses to “Jenny Lind Style Dresser”

1. erin
    August 16th, 2012 @ 2:01 pm

i actually really like the jenny lind da vinci. it’s affordable and won’t compete with the dresser. i might be tempted to leave the dresser finished as is, and paint the crib a softer gray or blue or green.

2. christina
    August 16th, 2012 @ 2:13 pm

picking a crib is such a hard decision! i found the sparrow crib to be really flimsy, so you might want to look at it in person if you are seriously considering it. i ended up with the argington bam crib which has spindles all the way around for the same reason that you dislike some of the cribs. it also converts from a bassinet to a crib to a toddler bed. i have heard good things about the classic jenny lind cribs. good luck!

3. Brindy
    August 16th, 2012 @ 3:17 pm

It is absolutely gorgeous. Great find. My girls are in desperate need of a new dresser and just yesterday I was goggling ‘Jenny Lind Dresser’ but had no luck. I love it.

4. casey
    August 16th, 2012 @ 3:55 pm

I just bought the Jenny Lind crib by Da Vinci and find it to be really good quality (sturdy, durable finish) for the $$ (so inexpensive)! Oh, and super-easy to assemble, which was a nice bonus. We left off the awful casters because they look so cheesy. You can see it all put together (w/o casters) on my blog. Good luck!

August 16th, 2012 @ 4:16 pm

Cute Casey! Looks great! I’m seriously leaning towards the Jenny Lind and figure it might be worth a shot!

6. Janice
    August 16th, 2012 @ 4:31 pm

Spending a little more money on a crib you love makes sense ifi it will be used for more than 1 child. My fav crib is the Franklin and Ben Liberty crib and the (pricier) Anderson crib from Land of Nod. I love the Jenny Lind dresser just as it is. You can always paint later if you can’t live without it being painted!

7. Brooke R.
    August 16th, 2012 @ 4:52 pm

We have the Jenny Lind by Da Vinci and it has been super sturdy and great for us. I say go for it as it will compliment the dresser so well!

8. Jennifer
    August 16th, 2012 @ 9:25 pm

We have the Davinci cribs for our twins and they have been hald up well for the first 14 months! If you’re going to paint it, use a non-toxic paint because babies will gnaw on the rails when they teethe.

9. L
    August 17th, 2012 @ 7:08 am

We also have the DaVinci Jenny Lind crib. I was worried about the quality but it’s very sturdy and has been great for the past 2+ years. I also have the Argington sahara and while it’s sturdy, I don’t like it as much. It has solid ends and when my daughter moves around/kicks her feet against the end of the crib it’s super noisy/echo-ey!

I checked out Oeuf’s sparrow crib and thought it was surprisingly flimsy, too. I’ve had good luck w/ Land of Nod furniture – well made and good quality.

Don’t worry about getting a crib that converts to a toddler bed – sometimes it’s easier to just move your child into a larger bed (like a full w/ bedrails) when they’re ready.

10. Susan
    August 17th, 2012 @ 8:00 am

We have the Millbrook, highly recommend it. I used to have a baby boutique, and honestly toddler conversion kits are overrated. By the time you might be ready to use it they will be going into a big bed with safety mesh panels. I wouldn’t worry too much about conversion.

11. Leah
    August 17th, 2012 @ 10:50 am

Love the dresser… as far as cribs go, the Liberty and Anderson cribs get my vote. Both look sturdy. Do these ones offer conversion options? Just a practical thought as baby gets bigger. I like these cribs because they seem less “institutional” looking and perhaps it’s just the product shots, but they look joyful.

12. Rosemary
    August 17th, 2012 @ 6:19 pm

Oh Katy, that’s a beautiful dresser, beautiful wood grain! Painting it would ruin it, imho.

13. Anonymous
    August 17th, 2012 @ 10:14 pm

I used the ikea gulliver crib, study, simple and similar look to oeuf and these others. Plus a fraction of the cost (about $120)

14. Tanya
    August 17th, 2012 @ 11:54 pm

Also used the gulliver from Ikea. Simple and modern. Sturdy. Converts to a toddler bed. Loved it.

15. JC
    August 18th, 2012 @ 11:22 am

That is a gorgeous dresser. It looks refinished, but it’s still a beautiful antique piece. I’m 99% sure it’s Birch (a good, sturdy wood with beautiful grain – often with curls like on the two drawer fronts).

16. Rosemary
    August 18th, 2012 @ 1:55 pm

The only change I’d make to that dresser would be to replace the white, probably plastic, knobs with round wood knobs that match the dresser. One of the knobs is missing, which necessitates replacement knobs in any case.

17. Renee Fitzgerald
    August 19th, 2012 @ 11:11 am

I think save your money for other things and go with an inexpensive crib. Before you know it, your little one will be ready for a twin bed… and a cell phone… and that really cute shirt from Abercrombie …. college…. :)

18. Kristin
    August 20th, 2012 @ 11:40 am

So funny – as I was reading this, the doorbell rang and it was our crib, getting delivered! We looked at all the same cribs and ended up buying the Liberty. They’re setting it up now. It looks really nice in person, and we matched it with a simple dresser from another line – there isn’t one that matches the crib, just a changing table.

19. emily @ thirtyeight20
    August 20th, 2012 @ 1:05 pm

I happen to really like the Jenny Lind styles, and I think one would play off your dresser adorably. You’ve posted a few times, I think, about chairs and beds with similar turned legs and spindles. I think the Jenny Lind matches your personal style (at least as presented on your blog!) more than a more modern choice.

Side note: I agree with Renee Fitzgerald’s previous comment about less expensive cribs. Huge jumps in price are not necessarily relative to any difference in quality. My daughter will celebrate her first birthday this Friday, and her $70 IKEA crib has been completely great and perfectly sturdy and safe — as all cribs have to be by law.

20. Tonya
    August 20th, 2012 @ 5:14 pm

We have the Jenny Lind DaVinci and love it. My daughter is 17 months old and I have no complaints about the sturdiness of this bed and plan to eventually convert it to a toddler with the extra rail. I would however recommend leaving the wheels off. Not only are they a garish brass and plastic, but they really slide around! Best wishes on your pregnancy!

21. Erika
    August 20th, 2012 @ 10:59 pm

I also wanted a Jenny Lind style because I like the traditional styling and we have the real deal cradle that’s been in our family for 100+ years–wanted similar styles so they would match. I got the Da Vinci one, as shown, and we have no complaints. Like another commenter here, ours has held up for 14 months now –and with a very large baby boy. I don’t necessarily think it’s heirloom quality in terms of durability (unlike our cradle, it may not be great in a century or more), but it is absolutely fine considering the price.

22. Polina
    August 20th, 2012 @ 11:11 pm

After having two kids my only advice is: go with the cheapest. After all you only need it for a short period of time. When i was pregnant for the first time, i spent almost all 9 months looking for a PERFECT crib and eventually bought a really expensive one together with a bunch of other “absolutely nessesary things every first time mother needs” or at least what baby stuff industry wants you to believe is nessesary :). By the time my daughter turned 5, we redesigned her room 3 times from top to bottom. All of the baby furniture was given away. When i got pregnant again (by accident) we just bought cheap ikea crib for $69 and guess what???? ;)))) Turned out this is the only thing the baby really needed and that chip crib worked just as well ;))

23. LLindstrom
    August 21st, 2012 @ 9:41 pm

I have a little girl who is 3.5 and has been out of her crib for a year. If I had to do it over, I would spend the money on wallpaper, curtains, dresser, chair (not the glider kind but a comfortable one with arms), chaise (my favorite piece of furniture in her room – it was good for late night feedings and now is good for reading before bed), or love seat but not on the crib. They are in and out of it before you know it. For our first child, I bought a crib from Pottery barn and waited 4 months for it on back order. I also bought a storage set for her playroom from pottery barn, which I had the privilege of assembling too. After all of that, I do not see that much difference in quality between Pottery Barn (land of nod, restoration hardware etc) and IKEA. IKEA makes some great simple cute cribs and they have to pass the exact same safety standards as all of the other cribs that are sold in the US.

24. Lauren
    August 22nd, 2012 @ 8:02 pm

I have the Davinci Jenny Lind in black and I absolutely love it. We’ve moved twice in two years (yikes) and it has fared beautifully and is still very sturdy. Echoing LLindstrom: cribs come and go, but quality antiques she can take to her college apartment are forever!

25. Deborah
    August 26th, 2012 @ 2:50 pm

Love the dresser – will be great for your little one for many years. Got to agree with many others, splurge on the items which will grow with your child. A crib is only used for such a short time, even with multiple children (in fact by children 2 and 3 our crib was only being used at nap-time -we found sleeping and nursing so much easier with babe next to us – not for everyone I know, but worked for us!).

26. Olga
    August 28th, 2012 @ 2:56 am

I agree with people who said to go with the cheapest. My 2 month old baby is almost never uses his crib anyway, as he ends up in our bed, and we all get fabulous full night of sleep. It’s recommended that babies sleep in the same room as their parents for the first 6 months of life, so I would go with something that you can put in your bedroom (like an “arms reach” co-sleeper)

27. seraphima mclean
    September 2nd, 2012 @ 9:10 pm

Love the Jenny Lind by Da Vinci. We used it for both my now 5 and 3 year old children and will use it again. Very sturdy and well constructed and so affordable. We have the Jenny Lind bookshelf from Land of Nod which looks cute with it. Love the dresser you picked up and would love to find a couple for my two as they are now in vintage jenny lind twin beds. Can not wait to see your nursery all put together!

28. Erin
    September 3rd, 2012 @ 12:19 am

The jenny lind crib is great. I looked at most of the same ones you have listed and went with the budget friendly one. The castors are horrible. I found vintage wooden castors on ebay that are perfect. I just had so many other things I wanted to purchase for the nursery that felt like more of a priority…upholstered chair, artwork and bookshelf.

29. Elizabeth
    September 7th, 2012 @ 1:41 pm

I like the liberty crib the most. If it makes you feel better my mom put all 4 of us in the Jenny Lind crib and now my sister-in-law is using the same crib for her 3 girls. It’s 33 years old and still going strong!

30. Sarah Barksdaledesign
    September 7th, 2012 @ 4:43 pm

I really like the Millbrook Cribb by Restoration. Its classic and dramatic at the same time.

31. Rosemary
    September 8th, 2012 @ 8:13 pm

Hi Katy,

I’ve decided to try and stop worrying about how you are, and am instead looking forward to your monthly update about how you are and how the house is coming along.

With care, affection, and interest

Rosemary

32. Lara Jade
    September 11th, 2012 @ 3:11 am

For interior design I always prefer on simple but stylish furniture that is made for eye catching. I’ve got some idea from your blog to create some furniture for my new design plan.

33. Alex @ Revedecor
    September 14th, 2012 @ 11:27 am

I like Stokke Sleep System, even if it costs a lot…

34. hannawebster
    September 20th, 2012 @ 7:02 am

Dresser is looking nice. Especially I like the wooden work. It is absolutely great!!!

35. Rosemary
    September 21st, 2012 @ 8:18 pm

Katy,

Please let us hear from you! Despite my determination not to worry, its now been a loong time since we’ve heard from you and we can’t help worrying – even though I said I wasn’t going to. If you can’t write, please have someone else sub for you and let us know what is happening with you, the baby, the house, whatever. Talk to us. Please.

Rosemary

September 22nd, 2012 @ 4:00 pm

Hi Rosemary!

I’m doing fine! Just really, really busy with house projects, baby growing (35 weeks) and still working full-time. I’m hoping to post soon but I’m exhausted in the evenings. Follow me on facebook https://www.facebook.com/katyelliottblog and twitter too! https://twitter.com/elliottkaty

37. Rosemary
    September 22nd, 2012 @ 8:32 pm

Hi Katy,

Thanks for the note. It matters to know you and the growing baby are OK.

Affectionately,

Rosemary

38. Rosemary
    October 3rd, 2012 @ 2:13 pm

Hi Katy,

I suggest that you replace the two-month-old Jenny Lind post with a paragraph that explains why you are currently not updating the blog. People who come to your blog don’t necessarily know anything about your Facebook or Twitter presence, and in any case come to the blog for blog-specific interests that don’t reflect in the other media. My sister in California, for example, visits the blog because she grew up in Marblehead.

39. Stephanie Romano
    October 3rd, 2012 @ 6:07 pm

Excuse me, but seriously Rosemary?? Cut the girl some slack and try to be a tad more gracious. This blog is a hobby she should engage in when she can, not a duty she is obligated to you (or your sister) to perform.

40. Anonymous
    October 10th, 2012 @ 9:20 pm

Still loving the blog and following you facebook. I must agree with those that say go for a cheaper crib. They outgrow them so quickly. This one is great from IKEA http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20203332/, similar to the Anderson crib (see WREN handmade’s blog for the crib in situ http://wrenhandmade.typepad.com/wren_handmade/baby/page/2/) totally affordable and everything you need. I frequently buy furniture from IKEA and paint it (usually a shade of grey/pale blue/cream) to de-IKEA it.
    If all else fails, take out one of those drawers and make it baby’s bed for a few weeks, it’s what my grannie did with her babies :)
    Enjoy this wonderful time.

41. Mandy Neer
    October 10th, 2012 @ 9:23 pm

Enjoy this wonderful time.

42. Mandy Neer
    October 10th, 2012 @ 10:15 pm

Oh, and I should say, I do realise IKEA is not necessarily your style; I don’t mean to offend!

43. Nancy
    October 14th, 2012 @ 11:31 pm

Sorry, but I agree with Rosemary’s comment, Stephanie, and I don’t think you need to be that rude. Rosemary’s comment wasn’t contentious. If you put yourself out there as a blogger, and people truly enjoy checking in on your blog, and all of a sudden the blog just stops, with no explanation, people who have invested in the “relationship” wonder — with care, not exasperation — what happened to the author. It’s true she’s not obligated to “perform” the blog, but when you’re accustomed to checking out the blog every day, and all of a sudden it ceases to exist, for all intents and purposes — and you do not realize she’s on Twitter or Facebook (which, face it, many of us aren’t), you worry. It would be kind to her readers to type an explanatory paragraph, and would only take moments. I have very much enjoyed her blog, and did indeed wonder what happened myself, and every time I clicked on her blog in my “everyday reading” list, I worried when I saw the same post I’d seen for the last two months.

44. Lindsay
    October 16th, 2012 @ 10:26 am

Congratulations on expecting your little one! When you mentioned you want a crib that allows you to see the baby from any angle, I had to laugh. For me, as my babies became more aware of me in the room I was glad for the side panels so I could hide from them. Otherwise they would never have gone to sleep!
    Enjoy every moment of this special time.

45. Ashleigh
    October 17th, 2012 @ 3:34 am

Love the dresser! What a great find!

Another vote for IKEA’s Gulliver. Our son has been in it for almost 2 years, and it’s as good as new. Ikea makes their baby furniture to European safety standards, which are higher than the US’s when it comes to formaldehyde content.

We also have the Oeuf Sparrow, which we got as a Gand-me-down for our daughter. It seems well-made, but honestly having them both now I am happy we went with the more affordable option!

October 20th, 2012 @ 12:34 pm

Hi everyone!

Still pregnant and due anyday now! Hopefully during my maternity leave I’ll have the time to start updating this blog again! Thanks for your patience and continued support!

xoxo. katy

47. architects Ilkley
    November 6th, 2012 @ 8:00 am

It has to be the Anderson Crib from the Land of Nod – this is just beautiful

48. Deborah
    November 6th, 2012 @ 5:29 pm

Love the dresser! I have to let you know that I had the DaVinci crib and it was very study. It made it though my 2 kids, my cousins 2 kids and she passed it on to a friend. Your child will move out of the crib so quickly, I feel it’s better to invest your dollars on the big kid bed instead. As for seeing though the sides, you might regret that when you are trying to sneek out of the baby’s room without the Baby seeing you! (Later on down the road.) :)

49. thea
    March 13th, 2013 @ 2:43 pm

beware of those painted floors- if old they may be lead paint- and many refinishers won’t want to handle them- and you shouldn’t either – repainting is one good – and cheap – way to deal with them – have just done this and am pleased with result- low voc, of course-

50. Serrurier Colombes
    November 7th, 2014 @ 7:03 am

I think the Liberty Crib From Ben Franklin are the most used and also the safest. So I should choose, I will choose its lind.