Brainstorming Nursery: Watery Pinks, Blues and Greens

Posted on | July 10, 2012 | 21 Comments

190277152975942224 WytkjTUA c Brainstorming Nursery: Watery Pinks, Blues and Greens

Source: middlechildcomplex.tumblr.com via Katy on Pinterest

You might be perplexed by these images and say to yourself, I thought she was planning a nursery? I realize none of these rooms are very kid-like but from each photo is a tiny bit of inspiration that will become the perfect space for my baby girl.

I could go a million directions with a nursery from rainbow modernist to more baby-themed motifs. But for some reason these are the images I keep coming back to that feel “right”. Watery pinks, blues and greens are colors you’ll see appear over and over in the house once it’s complete. Sometimes they’ll have a more traditional/formal nod and other times infusions of modern and scandinavian style cues. Below notes on what’s catching my eye. In the coming weeks (I’m 25 weeks!) how it will all come together.

Psst I’m pinning my favorite baby/kid ideas at pinterest.com/katyelliott/baby-stuff/

Brainstorming Nursery: Watery Pinks, Blues and Greens
A collage created by Jane at Ill Seen, Ill Said a collection of image from Ochre and Stevan Alan spring 2011. Love the mix of color and texture

worn rug france Brainstorming Nursery: Watery Pinks, Blues and GreensA rug in the apartment I rented in Provence this past spring. Sharon of The Marston House told me she would bring it back for me next Spring! Love the muted shades!

Brainstorming Nursery: Watery Pinks, Blues and GreensA peek of Nicolette Camille’s apartment as seen on Design*Sponge. Great wall color, mirror and hint of pink tapestry.

Brainstorming Nursery: Watery Pinks, Blues and GreensAnother shot from Nicolette’s apartment. Beautiful snapshots she took of clouds. Love this idea for a children’s room.

ochre housebeautiful Brainstorming Nursery: Watery Pinks, Blues and Greens
The owners of Ochre’s Shelter Island home as featured in House Beautiful. Love the colors, mix of texture, rock water color painting and sky colored paneled paintings. I would like to find an old dresser to use as a changing table. Something about the color in the above cabinet really grabbed my eye.

david flint wood Brainstorming Nursery: Watery Pinks, Blues and Greens
Love this room from the book Rooms To Inspire By The Sea via Mrs. Blandings. I thought about building a bench so we can all have family reading time together. Love all the different stripes mixed together.

Brainstorming Nursery: Watery Pinks, Blues and GreensSpotted on this site, like the bed idea for when she older but also like the stripes now for a potential crib skirt.

country living phillip ficks Brainstorming Nursery: Watery Pinks, Blues and GreensA former blacksmith shop featured in the current issue of Country Living. Love the sage green painted floors. I need to put down new flooring in the nursery and like this idea against crispy walls and antique pieces.

pixel Brainstorming Nursery: Watery Pinks, Blues and Greens

Comments

21 Responses to “Brainstorming Nursery: Watery Pinks, Blues and Greens”

1. Jaime
    July 10th, 2012 @ 7:29 pm

so many (beautiful) and great ideas here.

2. Hana
    July 10th, 2012 @ 8:16 pm

really, truly beautiful inspiration. i would do a nursery just the same. can’t wait to see the process! xo

3. Elizabeth
    July 10th, 2012 @ 9:01 pm

Katie, I love your post! I too have worked hard to create spaces in our house that are comfortable for our children but also flow with the rest of the house. I found lots of inspiration in european sites and magazines, particularly from Spain and France. The rooms tend to be softer more muted colors and more visually restrained.

On a side note did you perchance check out the OKL Barclay Butera sale today? They had the most amazing daybed that would be SO lovely in a child’s room: (hope this link works) https://www.onekingslane.com/product/13864/788612.

Wishing you a great third trimester!

July 10th, 2012 @ 9:20 pm

Elizabeth that daybed is cute, cute!!

5. heather
    July 10th, 2012 @ 10:39 pm

I like them all, and they’re all soothing environments which would be great for nurseries. Truth be told, they are ‘babies’ for so short of time….and we found that our daughter was a year before she actually used a crib (she’s was in a bassinet til then) and within months was ready for a real bed. So I say, decorate now for an easy transition into the kid years. And beautiful neutrals will work as he/she grows, and accomidate any siblings that might chance along later!

6. charlotte
    July 11th, 2012 @ 6:10 am

This might just be my all time favourite interiors inspiration post – I want to live in it!

7. Susan
    July 11th, 2012 @ 7:50 am

A beautiful palette!

8. Louisa
    July 11th, 2012 @ 1:20 pm

Beautiful colors! I’m a long-time reader but I don’t know if I’ve ever commented. Love your blog! I can’t wait to see what you do for a nursery.
    I noticed you were searching for a good diaper bag – I went through a bunch, and used an LL Bean tote for my daughter for a while. Then I found MZ Wallace bags and fell in love. So many pockets, some are made of microfiber so gunk wipes right off, and so many cute styles. Hope that helps!

July 11th, 2012 @ 2:00 pm

Great diaper bag idea Louisa! Now that you reminded me my sister used one of their bags for diapers! This one is cute: http://www.mzwallace.com/mzwshop/product.php?products_id=2163

10. Kim
    July 11th, 2012 @ 5:27 pm

Speaking of diaper bags, I’m on the search for one as well. I’m considering a Utility Canvas bag, specifically this one: http://www.utilitycanvas.com/collections/bucket-totes/products/copy-of-bucket-tote. (I’m looking for something made with natural fibers.) I like that it is completely machine washable! I saw mention of it on Lena Corwin’s (wee textile) blog.

11. Lisa
    July 12th, 2012 @ 9:28 pm

There’s something whimsical about (nursery)watery colors. They are fun, perfect as it could be, and that’s just beautiful.

12. jen jafarzadeh
    July 13th, 2012 @ 5:23 pm

the nursery will be amazing! One lucky little girl. I love the color palette. I think nursery decorating is best when it’s instinctual rather than following “have-tos”. Juniper has a dark blue wall and funky clouds everywhere because it just spoke to me. I’m pretty sure my mom hates everything I chose and thinks it’s ungirly ;) Wish I could paint some floors!

13. christina
    July 15th, 2012 @ 4:10 pm

I loooove how thoughtful these colors feel – I absolutely adore the idea of a unique nursery like that…the colors evoke the feelings calm and the various essence of a nursery but still retain the design integrity of your home and I think that’s amazing and genius!

14. Loi Thai
    July 16th, 2012 @ 3:13 pm

Dear Katy -
    This is going to be such a sophisticated nursery. I think the watery colors are perfect. So serene and lovely. Congratulations! Thanks for your email. Happy to re-discover your blog.
    Cheers from DC,
    Loi

15. barbara stroud
    July 19th, 2012 @ 1:34 pm

@Kim – I cannot vouch for Utility Canvas enough! We have so many of their items and each one is fabulous. One in particular Katy may find useful is the Utility Canvas Floor Mats (to change your baby on, or to put on a surface that you want to keep him/her off of), I believe its 25″ x 37″. We use as arm covers on the sofa (dog sleeps on arm of sofa). They wash and dry easily!

16. barbara stroud
    July 19th, 2012 @ 1:35 pm

OOPS… here’s the link for the floor mat:

July 19th, 2012 @ 1:38 pm

@barbara stroud I forget to include a comment on this feed back to Kim.

Utility Canvas is awesome. I know the owners from my college days and have quite the assortment of bags and clothes from them. Great stuff that really holds up well!

18. Svatava
    July 22nd, 2012 @ 12:34 pm

Beautiful color inspiration!

19. Anne
    August 28th, 2012 @ 9:17 pm

Unsolicited advice: go with something in the purple family, and steer clear of yellows. Color theory and psychology has suggested that large amounts of yellow, even pale yellow, in a room aggravates the eyes and through that the nervous system- apparently making babies cry more and have more difficulty getting to sleep, and people fight more in yellow rooms, supposedly. Purple, on the other hand, particularly bluer/grayer purples, tend to help people get to sleep. Blues and greens are also calming because they require less work for our eyes to focus on (particularly green).

20. Interior Design Calgary
    October 10th, 2012 @ 10:13 am

The log cabin looks awesome, I wouldn’t mind living there.

21. Natalia Gallagher
    April 10th, 2014 @ 1:11 pm

Great post. I have loved looking through all of your past posts especially the nursery posts as I will be decorating a nursery here shortly. I especially like the detail you bring to your rooms and you can really tell that everywhere you look there is a deliberate and well thought out design. I saw some similar pieces at http://www.interior-deluxe.com . I use that site a lot for my renovations especially when trying to get the character and deliberateness that flow so naturally in your pictures.