Provençal Kitchen in Bonnieux, France

Posted on | May 17, 2012 | 20 Comments

provence dining room tile floor Provençal Kitchen in Bonnieux, FranceDining room overlooking a valley in Bonnieux.

We eloped and hopped a plane to Paris! After a few days in the city we took a train down to the Luberon region of Provence. We rented an apartment for a week in a large 15th century home in the hillside village of Bonnieux. The apartment had a huge kitchen and large dining table that looked out over a valley.

Every morning Greg went out for a run and then stopped at the village boulangerie for fresh croissants and a baguette. We ate breakfast at the large dining table overlooking the valley. During the day we shopped at local markets and farmstands for fresh produce. I found beautiful local strawberries, greens and heirloom tomatoes. I made salads, simple pasta dishes with fresh cheeses and bread for dinner. The experience was amazing.

When I travel I get tired of eating out and really start to crave simple meals. The kitchen in the apartment had everything I needed: oven, gas stove, full set of dishes, french press, fridge, utensils etc. A large dining table (above) was a beautiful spot for breakfast in the morning. At night I would open up all the windows to listen to the birds diving through the valley while I made dinner. It was magical, peaceful and serene.

The apartment is for rent on a weekly basis through Sharon and Paul of The Marston House in Wiscasset, Maine. The couple live in France during the winter months and spend their summers in Maine. Greg and I stayed at their Wiscaseet Bed & Breakfast last fall. I’ll be sharing more photos of their beautiful apartment in France expertly decorated by Sharon in the coming days. Stay tuned!

The Marston House
Rental information
marstonhouse.com
207.882.6010
info@marstonhouse.com

breakfast at home france1 Provençal Kitchen in Bonnieux, FranceBreakfast in the apartment with fresh croissants and local strawberries.

provencal dining room Provençal Kitchen in Bonnieux, FranceView of dining room looking towards den and hallway to bedrooms.

fruits french farmstand france Provençal Kitchen in Bonnieux, FranceFarmstand along the D900 in the Luberon region of Provence.

vegetables may france market Provençal Kitchen in Bonnieux, FranceVegetable for sale at the friday market in Bonnieux.

strawberries france market Provençal Kitchen in Bonnieux, FranceFresh strawberries and fruits at market in Bonnieux.

vegetables provence market Provençal Kitchen in Bonnieux, FranceBeans, tomatoes and greens at market in Bonnieux.

DSC1517 Provençal Kitchen in Bonnieux, FranceLunchtime treats.

DSC1438 Provençal Kitchen in Bonnieux, FranceI opened the windows at dusk to listen to the birds while I cooked.

views bonnieux dusk Provençal Kitchen in Bonnieux, FranceView from windows looking down to the terrace below.

tile floor worn rug france Provençal Kitchen in Bonnieux, FranceTile floor in dining room and worn rug in den.

terrace dusk bonnieux france Provençal Kitchen in Bonnieux, FranceView from windows looking down to the terrace and out to the valley.

provence kitchen Provençal Kitchen in Bonnieux, FranceKitchen during the day with beautiful tiles and bowls covering the island.

DSC1470 Provençal Kitchen in Bonnieux, FranceGreg helping with dinner.

breakfast table kitchen provence Provençal Kitchen in Bonnieux, FranceBreakfast table and fireplace in the kitchen.

DSC1454 Provençal Kitchen in Bonnieux, FranceKitchen at dusk with the windows open.

DSC1478 Provençal Kitchen in Bonnieux, FranceGreg waiting for me to sit down for dinner. Sometimes we ate in the kitchen and some nights at the large dining table.

Related Post:
We Eloped!
The Marston House Antiques: Bed & Breakfast

pixel Provençal Kitchen in Bonnieux, France

Comments

20 Responses to “Provençal Kitchen in Bonnieux, France”

1. Diane in Northern Cali
    May 17th, 2012 @ 6:24 pm

How wonderfully romantic Katy!
    The *perfect* honeymoon location, thank you for sharing it with us.
    Sooooo very happy for you guys, congratulations and best wishes!
    xoxo

2. nicole
    May 17th, 2012 @ 6:44 pm

how beautiful. you two are absolute loves and so glad you had a good time. sending you our best wishes from southern maine. xo.

May 17th, 2012 @ 7:30 pm

This is stunningly beautiful. I’m so happy you got away – and to such a perfect destination. It all sounds divine! So happy for you both!

4. S@sha
    May 17th, 2012 @ 9:04 pm

That looks amazing! Congratulations on your marriage. Did you wear a cute dress to elope?

5. bumbleathome.blogspot.com
    May 18th, 2012 @ 1:39 am

I think that flat in Bonnieux couldn’t have suited you more, it looks heavenly!

6. helen james
    May 18th, 2012 @ 10:50 am

Oh Heaven heaven and more heaven , so beautiful, and biggest congratulations, I also eloped,x x

7. Karen
    May 18th, 2012 @ 1:14 pm

This looks amazing…

8. Don
    May 18th, 2012 @ 6:01 pm

Katy, did we leave the house in good shape for you? And I trust that Greg found the wine we left for him. So glad you two were there. It is a little slice of heaven there. I like the view on the road in town with Mt Ventoux.
    Viva la France!

9. Susan
    May 21st, 2012 @ 10:23 am

I feel transported…I’m sure it was hard to leave such a breathtaking place! The essence of Provence.

10. Mary
    May 23rd, 2012 @ 5:18 pm

I am so jealous! This is a quintessential French apartment. Just gorgeous. Something you will never forget. Hope you are having a wonderful time!

11. Justine@designskool.net
    May 28th, 2012 @ 10:54 pm

I love Paul and Sharon – always wanted to stay there!

Congrats to you!!!

12. mary
    June 3rd, 2012 @ 12:05 am

this is idyllic. oh my gosh. i’m a little jealous ;)

13. Andie
    September 29th, 2012 @ 10:00 pm

Can you tell me where you got those beautiful angel wings? And also the 3 pics in the kitchen- who is the artist? Love it!

14. Grace
    October 7th, 2012 @ 11:08 am

I found your blog while looking for images of pumpkins over door frames.

How fun that you stayed in Wiscasset, Maine, and discovered your French appartment rental while there. My family lives in Wiscasset(I now live in Newton, MA. I am excited to contact the owners of The Marston House about their lovely flat.

Small world! Wonderful blog….

15. myfrenchawakening
    January 25th, 2013 @ 3:28 pm

Lovely to read any moments in Provence and your own personal journey. Can’t wait to get there again in May. Thanks Katy. X

16. Emily
    April 16th, 2013 @ 12:05 pm

What a stunning place, I’m glad to have stumbled across this blog!

17. Hollyce Jeffriess
    May 19th, 2013 @ 10:59 am

Dear Katy, I lived in that flat, from 1988 to 1999, with my ex-husband, Jerome Waag, (head chef at Chez Panisse in Berkeley)and his mother Natalie. Natalie Waag hosted “a week in Provincal” cooking holiday there. I was thrilled to see that the renovations that Jerome did, (he built the kitchen counter and cupboards) are just as I remember. Thanks for sharing the photo’s, I have many found memories of the flat, and the village, as well as the surrounding villages near by. The market in Apt. Did you by any chance see the ghost? ;) Hollyce Jeffriess Martinez Ca.

18. Hollyce Jeffriess
    May 19th, 2013 @ 11:00 am

19. Sylvie
    July 16th, 2013 @ 1:06 pm

OMG. I just came across this site this morning, 7/15/13. Your photos bring back such wonder memories!
    Spouse and I spent a wonderful week with Nathalie Waag back in 1995 before she sold her apartment to the American couple from Maine. Miss Natahlie opened up her home to two couples at a time. There we watched and learned all about the Provencal way of cooking. The meals. Oh those wonderful meals! We sat at that very same round table each night and drank that wonderful French red/rose’ wines from the area. By day, Miss Waag would take us to the various marketplaces then stop for lunch in various villages. Since then, both these apartments has been beautifully updated by the new owners. (Check it out online on their website.) Simply beautiful!
    Am so happy for you and your marriage and that you had such a wonderful time in Bonnieux. Well, who wouldn’t. Wishing you many wonderful and happy years together!
    Vive la France!