Downton Abbey Earthenware Mixing Bowls

Posted on | February 6, 2012 | 21 Comments

Are those Mason Cash bowls I spy in the Downton Abbey kitchen? Mason Cash debuted its first collection of earthenware in Derbyshire, England, in 1800. Traditionally the bowls have a white interior with a light brown exterior glaze with a distinctive embossed pattern. The traditional bowls are making a bit of a comeback stateside. Dishwasher safe, affordable and available in a range of sizes from 1 1/2 cup to 9-quart. What’s not to love?

I purchased three in different sizes through amazon.com. The 6-quart style is large to make a big batch of biscuits. I’ve always had a problem with smaller bowls when I incorporated the buttermilk. Small pieces would fly out of the bowl making the process quite frustrating and messy. Finally a bowl that’s big enough! Below traditional mixing bowls and pudding pots from Mason Cash available through amazon.com and williams-sonoma.com.

Mason Cash mixing bowls in traditional white with light brown exterior available through amazon.com.

Mason Cash pudding bowl in off-white through amazon.com.

Mason Cash mixing bowl set available in white interior and exterior glaze exclusive to williams-sonoma.com.

Mason Cash white pudding bowl set available through williams-sonoma.com.

Stone Cottage Kitchen Floors
Dreaming of a Fancy Girl Kitchen
Plain English Kitchens

Comments

21 Responses to “Downton Abbey Earthenware Mixing Bowls”

February 6th, 2012 @ 12:31 pm

I have a third generation (at least) one of these from my granny. I can’t imagine making Irish soda bread in any other kind of bowl!

2. nicole
    February 6th, 2012 @ 12:38 pm

sometimes i flip over to your blog in the middle of the workday and think: are you bugging my house? is this for real? i was just going back through the episodes from last season this weekend and pining over those bowls to my husband. that show has absolutely captured me. now, if you can just tell me where lady sybil’s lavender blouse is from, i’ll be forever in your debt.

3. heather
    February 6th, 2012 @ 12:44 pm

You’ve got a good eye! Ive always admired these ceramic bowls. I need some for my own kitchen…well, first I need a kitchen with enough space to put them, but that’s a whole other story ;)

February 6th, 2012 @ 12:49 pm

The mason cash bowls replaced a set of plastic bowls I’ve had since college. I had concerns about bpa in the plastic b/c they are at least 10 years old and I often soak beans etc. Was looking for affordable alternative and found these.

I love the styling and earthy colors of the Mason Cash bowls and hope to have them for many, many years.

5. Paula
    February 6th, 2012 @ 3:34 pm

We had the largest size many years ago that, sadly, was broken. I seem to remember that it had a flat edge on one side of the bottom that allowed you to tip the bowl against the table, but it doesn’t appear that current models have this feature. But perhaps my memory is faulty.

6. Tara
    February 6th, 2012 @ 6:22 pm

You can find vintage Mason Cash (including full sets) at antique malls and flea markets. I see them ALL the time.

7. Trina
    February 6th, 2012 @ 6:48 pm

Great bowls and great resources. Love visiting you. I lived in Farmington, Maine for eleven years and I miss it dearly. It’s been wonderful to wander back to Maine through your posts.
    Trina

8. Suzanne
    February 7th, 2012 @ 2:43 am

I noticed those too.
    So in love with Downton…
    and your site…
    Thanks for your inspiration and letting us live vicariously through you!

9. Allison Warren
    February 7th, 2012 @ 7:15 am

Katy – I love your site, its thoughtful and informative. I would like to add your site to my blogroll, and I think we have lots in common. My house is also the inspiration for my blog. Thanks again for sharing your ideas.

February 7th, 2012 @ 11:23 am

Thanks Allison!

11. Jen
    February 7th, 2012 @ 1:43 pm

Get out of my head!

12. Suzanne
    February 7th, 2012 @ 2:34 pm

I never would’ve noticed! ..Another thing to covet.. Thanks for that. ;)

Downton references never fail to make my day!

13. Jennifer
    February 7th, 2012 @ 9:07 pm

I LOVE Downton Abbey. Those bowls are gorgeous!

14. Diane@Orangerieandblue
    February 8th, 2012 @ 1:01 pm

Ok, I watch Downton Abbey every week (sometimes twice!) and never noticed those bowls! My mother has that same large mixing bowl that she purchased in England (circa 1969-71), but the name on the bottom says Green’s, and looks like this one I found on etsy: http://www.etsy.com/listing/73926004/pottery-bowl-t-g-green-co-ltd-gripstand
    — which looks almost just like the Mason Cash one above, although the rim looks a bit different. It was interesting to me that when I looked further, I found that in December 2001, Mason Cash purchased T. G. Green Pottery.

15. Joyce
    February 9th, 2012 @ 5:31 pm

Its so hard to find the antique ones these days – thanks for sharing!

16. Laurie
    February 9th, 2012 @ 7:07 pm

I have one that I’ve made bread in for years. Oh, I like the pudding bowls. Definitely on my wish list!
    Just watched my first DA episode last night. I’m in trouble.

February 9th, 2012 @ 7:29 pm

Joyce,

My friend Agnes recommended checking ebay too. She uses them in her restaurant in New Paltz, NY. https://www.facebook.com/katyelliottblog

18. Make it & Fake it
    February 20th, 2012 @ 2:55 pm

Loving the William Sonoma once! the Nigella lawson bowls are also amazing! you should check them out!

love K

19. Sarah
    March 25th, 2012 @ 3:20 pm

Hi!
    Mason & Cash have stopped making the mixing bowls in white, unfortunately…I know because I sell Mason & Cash in Sweden and buy directly from UK HQ. In Sweden white is more popular than the traditional cane coloured, so it´s a pity. Maybe they will change their minds some day.
    Now I´m going to have a good look at your blog (this is my first visit)
    All the best.
    //Sarah

20. christine
    May 9th, 2012 @ 5:08 pm

I have these bowls and LOVE them. x

21. Daisy
    May 11th, 2012 @ 3:26 am

The bowls are really amazing!Love them all!