Rustic Winter Potato Leek Tart

Posted on | January 1, 2012 | 12 Comments

DSC0484 Rustic Winter Potato Leek Tart

On New Year’s Eve I spent the day in the kitchen cooking wintry treats. For lunch, we had Martha’s Alsatian Potato Pie featured in her cookbook, New Pies & Tarts. I spotted a similar version in Nigel Slater’s, Tender. In Slater’s version (click for preview of recipe) he uses cheddar and crème fraîche rather then Gruyere and cream. For dessert I made La Tartine Gourmande’s Petits Pots de Crème in vanilla and chocolate! So good!

This tart is perfect for a cold winter day. We haven’t had any snow but a few raw days that remind us it’s surely around the corner. Hearty potatoes pair well with leeks and warms your bones on days it seems impossible to break the chill.

Adapted from Martha Stewart’s Alsatian Potato Pie.

Ingredients
3 (about 1 1/2 pounds) Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
Coarse salt
1 cup heavy cream
5 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium leek, white and light-green parts only (I used two and will probably use 3-4 next time)
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 large egg yolk
1 (14 ounces) frozen puff pastry, (such as Dufour), thawed
All-purpose flour, for work surface
1 1/2 cups grated Comte or Gruyere cheese

Cover potatoes with water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add a pinch of salt; cook until just tender, 13 to 15 minutes. Drain. Mash and let cool.

Meanwhile, bring 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons cream, the garlic, and nutmeg to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook mixture until reduced by half. Season with salt and pepper; set aside.

And one more pan to clean; which makes me bonkers! Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add leeks; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in parsley; season with salt and pepper. Set aside.

Divide thawed puff pastry onto a lightly floured surface. Mine was square so I kept it’s square shape. Martha made hers into a long rectangle.

Whisk together 1 large egg yolk with 1 tablespoon of cream. You’ll use this to seal the pastry and create a glaze over the top.

Scatter the mashed potatoes on the pastry, then layer with leek and Gruyere making sure to leave a 1/4″ inch border. Photos below. I was able to do two layers; 1. potato/leek/cheese/ 2. potato/cheese. I wish I had cooked more leeks because my second layer lacked leeks. Yes, I could have used less leek in the first layer but I’m my taste buds are telling me the leekier the better! Top with the other piece of thawed pastry. Crimp the edges and brush with egg wash.

Make a few slits in the top of the tart (you’ll pour the heavy cream mixture in the slits during the cooking process.) Stick the tart in the fridge for about 20 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Remove the tart from the fridge and place in the preheat oven to cook for 35 minutes or until the tart is golden brown and puff. Remove the tart and pour the reduced cream mixture into the slits taking care and allowing the cream so soak in. Place back in the oven for an additional 10 minutes.

Let cool and serve warm or at room temperature with a simple green salad.

DSC0472 Rustic Winter Potato Leek TartScatter potato onto puff pastry.

DSC0477 Rustic Winter Potato Leek TartAdd cooked leeks.

DSC0479 Rustic Winter Potato Leek TartGrate Gruyere over leeks.

DSC0480 Rustic Winter Potato Leek TartAdd more potato.

DSC0482 Rustic Winter Potato Leek TartAdd more Gruyere over potato.

DSC0483 Rustic Winter Potato Leek TartTop with puff pastry and seal.

DSC0488 Rustic Winter Potato Leek TartOut of the oven.

DSC0496 Rustic Winter Potato Leek TartServe with a light green salad for lunch, brunch or dinner.

Recipe: Homemade Baked Beans
Recipe: Chocolate Guinness Cake & Dingle Pies
Recipe: Fennel-Steamed Mussels Provencal

pixel Rustic Winter Potato Leek Tart

Comments

12 Responses to “Rustic Winter Potato Leek Tart”

January 1st, 2012 @ 2:40 pm

YUM! A woman after my own heart!

2. Lauren Hairston Collado
    January 1st, 2012 @ 3:40 pm

Sounds and looks delicious! I love love love savory pies.

3. S@sha
    January 1st, 2012 @ 3:52 pm

Yum, that looks delicious. And it looks like it would hold up really well as leftovers for taking to work for lunch.

January 1st, 2012 @ 4:16 pm

yes, would be great leftovers for work! The crust is flaky so beware to put in a container to control the mess.

5. heather
    January 1st, 2012 @ 4:40 pm

This looks so good and perfect for a cold winter day. Even worth the extra dirty pan!~ :D

6. erin
    January 2nd, 2012 @ 9:26 am

looks amazing. perfect way to ring in the new year!

7. Abigail
    January 2nd, 2012 @ 1:15 pm

this looks 100% incredible! i can’t wait to try it. Bonne Année 2012 to you :)

8. Tessa
    January 3rd, 2012 @ 12:34 am

this looks delish. two of my favorite foods – potatoes + leeks. i might have to change my dinner plans for tomorrow and make this instead. growing up we often had leeks rolled up in ham and topped with a gruyere cream sauce and baked in the oven. my mum always served it with mashed potatoes. i make it now for my children. though they think the cheese is a bit stinky. thanks for the recipe. it’s a a real “pinner”!!
    tessa

9. veronica
    January 3rd, 2012 @ 2:09 pm

this looks incredible – I can’t wait to try it. want to share, also, that I’ve made the rustic butternut squash pizza you shared back in november several times now & it’s always a big hit. happy new year!

January 3rd, 2012 @ 2:15 pm

Thanks Veronica!

Here’s a link to the butternut squash pizza: http://www.katyelliott.com/blog/2011/11/rustic-butternut-squash-sage-pizza.html

11. lyn
    January 4th, 2012 @ 10:46 pm

wow, this looks so great katy. I will make this soon. thanks for sharing your cooking adventures. your photos are so inviting.

12. Johnd56
    May 7th, 2014 @ 5:50 pm

Thank you, I have just been searching for info about this subject for a long time and yours is the greatest I’ve found out so far. However, what about the bottom line? Are you positive concerning the supply? ffedbabdcefg