Make A Seed Stitch Leather Button Neckwarmer

Posted on | January 30, 2012 | 15 Comments

DSC0537 Make A Seed Stitch Leather Button Neckwarmer

Inspired by a knit cowl designed by Knittles; I made a seed stitch version with five leather buttons. The neckwarmer is easy to knit and super cozy. Using the same seed stitch technique from my scarf project; I increased the width and shrunk the length. Five leather buttons ($0.79 each) I picked up at MJ Trim in New York secure the neckwarmer in place. The fitted style keeps my neck warm on bitter cold days without the bulkiness of a long scarf. Pull the neckwarmer up to cover your face or push down below your chin for a comfortable fit.

My Version
1 skein (100g/87yd) of Rowan Yarns Big Wool in Linen
US size 13 knitting needles (I could have used #15 but I have a loose purl stitch)

Cast on 21 stitches (odd numbers only)
Row 1: Slip 1 knitwise, *p1, k1; repeat till end. (you should end with a knit)
Repeat the pattern till you use up the skein.
Bind off and tuck in ends.

Secure five buttons on one side of the neckwarmer. I used leftover yarn and tied each button through onto the backside. I then positioned the button to poke through the overlapping top layer to the front side. I didn’t knit button holes but used the gaps between the purl and knit stitch. Below snapshots of the neckwarmer I made. Enjoy!

handmade seed stitch cowl Make A Seed Stitch Leather Button NeckwarmerHandmade seed stitch (moss stitch) neckwarmer.

handknit seed stitch neckwarmer Make A Seed Stitch Leather Button NeckwarmerFront of neckwarmer.

leather button neckwarmer Make A Seed Stitch Leather Button NeckwarmerButtons attached to backside of neckwarmer.

backside of seed stitch neckwarmer Make A Seed Stitch Leather Button NeckwarmerBack of neckwarmer.

Make A Seed Stitch Scarf
Knit & Crocheted Cowls
Handknit Cable Pillows: Make or Buy

pixel Make A Seed Stitch Leather Button Neckwarmer

Comments

15 Responses to “Make A Seed Stitch Leather Button Neckwarmer”

1. heather
    January 30th, 2012 @ 4:14 pm

This is beautiful! I love these types of cowls. And since you ‘taught’ me the seed stitch, I’ve really been enjoying it. Its so simple and pretty!~

2. veronica
    January 30th, 2012 @ 4:45 pm

Don’t you just love the look of seed stitch??? That looks so cozy & I love the leather buttons, they remind me of a coat my grandmother used to wear.

3. Leslie
    January 30th, 2012 @ 5:23 pm

I LOVE this! So pretty!

4. erin, reading my tea leaves
    January 30th, 2012 @ 5:40 pm

lovely! the buttons are such a nice addition.

5. Renee
    January 30th, 2012 @ 9:12 pm

I wish I could knit, that neckwarmer is super cute!

6. Ileana
    January 31st, 2012 @ 9:27 am

I really like it. It is both stylish and warm.

7. Meghan Shadrick
    January 31st, 2012 @ 9:28 am

Love it! It looks like something you could buy at a boutique store.

Now I just need to learn to knit : )

8. My Dog-Eared Pages
    January 31st, 2012 @ 10:07 am

I adore this! I need to learn how to knit, too. perfect leather buttons. LOVE. ; )

9. elissa
    February 1st, 2012 @ 10:04 pm

looks great! i’m going to casually send this link to my friend who knits and hope she gets the hint!

February 1st, 2012 @ 10:41 pm

Thanks guys! You could knit this in any pattern. If your a beginner just knit in garter…would be really cute too!

11. salmon
    February 4th, 2012 @ 10:55 am

so pretty! and i love that you didn’t need to create buttonholes … i’m still way too beginner to think about buttonholes.

12. Omar
    April 30th, 2013 @ 10:42 pm

I do believe all of the concepts you have introduced for your post.
    They’re really convincing and will certainly work. Nonetheless, the posts are very short for newbies. Could you please prolong them a little from subsequent time? Thank you for the post.

13. Sandra
    June 23rd, 2013 @ 10:36 am

Wow, fantastic blog layout! How long have you been blogging
    for? you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your site is
    excellent, as well as the content!