Make A Seed Stitch Scarf

Posted on | December 9, 2011 | 29 Comments

hand knit seed stitch scarf pattern Make A Seed Stitch Scarf

I learn to knit for seed stitch. It’s my favorite; a simple combination of knit and purl the stitch is gorgeous for hats, scarves, mittens, sweaters and even pillow covers. It took me a while to get the hang of purling then, it took me even longer to remember to switch back and forth between the two. Inspired by Jill Bent’s beautiful scarves I spotted back in 2009—this is mine finished on my 33rd birthday.

I’ve come to realize the only way seed stitch works is to be a confident knitter. If you second guess yourself the stitches won’t have an even tension. Or worse yet, you’re so careful making sure you’re on the correct stitch you’ll be too exhausted to finish the project. Is this scarf a metaphor? Yes.

I made my scarf using three skeins of Blue Sky Bulky; a 50/50 alpaca and wool blend in silver mink. I used this pattern found on the Purl Bee to get me started. The Purl Bee’s pattern doubles the yarn and uses size 36 needles for what they call, The Eleventh Hour Scarf. The technique can be adapted to fit any yarn or needle size.

My Version
3 skeins of Blue Sky Bulky in “silver mink” #1002.
US size 13 knitting needles (I could have used #15 but I have a loose purl stitch)

Cast on 15 stitches (odd numbers only) If you want the scarf to be longer, cast on fewer stitches.
Row 1: Slip 1 knitwise, *p1, k1; repeat till end. (you should end with a knit)
Repeat the pattern till you’ve used up all three skeins.
Bind off and tuck in ends.

Below snapshots of me at the beach showing off my scarf this morning.

katy at beach in seed stitch scarf Make A Seed Stitch Scarf

DSC0051 Make A Seed Stitch Scarf

gray handmade moss stitch scarf Make A Seed Stitch Scarf

Handknit Cable Pillows
Seed Stitch Scarves from Jill Bent
Knit & Crocheted Cowls

pixel Make A Seed Stitch Scarf

Comments

29 Responses to “Make A Seed Stitch Scarf”

1. Hannah
    December 9th, 2011 @ 4:10 pm

It’s such a lovely colour and looks so snuggly and warm. Good job!

2. Kim
    December 9th, 2011 @ 5:08 pm

Your scarf and your photos are beautiful. Love the color you chose and the soft look of the yarn. Well done!

December 9th, 2011 @ 5:17 pm

So beautiful and beautiful on you!

Happy birthday, Katy!

4. My Dog-Eared Pages
    December 9th, 2011 @ 5:26 pm

It’s a beautiful stitch and great color! Wonderful photos and Happy Birthday!!

5. mopar
    December 10th, 2011 @ 12:09 am

How beautiful! Thank you for the pattern. Happy birthday!

6. Clementine
    December 10th, 2011 @ 3:38 pm

This scarf is so lovely. I am going to have to learn the seed stitch – great colour as well. Happy Birthday!

7. ileana
    December 10th, 2011 @ 3:42 pm

beautiful beautiful project. I love the soft color and the sound of silver mink. and happy birthday

8. Vesna
    December 10th, 2011 @ 7:03 pm

To die for. I would snap that up in a store in a hot second.

9. Brooke
    December 11th, 2011 @ 7:40 am

The seed stitch is beautiful and I love the color you’ve chosen. I saw the post on the Purl Bee as well and immediately added the seed stitch to my list of knitting techniques to master.

10. Chaucee
    December 11th, 2011 @ 8:55 am

This stitch is one of my favorite to use. All my favorite scarves I made with this stitch!

11. Shelby @ Lady Gouda
    December 12th, 2011 @ 10:22 am

You are inspiring me to get crafty. I have never been a knitter, but I just love the look of this scarf. Seriously Katy, you are on a roll this season!

12. erin
    December 12th, 2011 @ 10:36 am

such a lovely scarf, katy. and really lovely photos of you!

December 12th, 2011 @ 11:17 am

Thanks guys for all the scarf love! I’ve taken a lot of knitting lessons from Jeanne who use to own a yarn shop in Marblehead. Unfortunately, the shop has closed but she still offers private lessons. E-mail me if your interested.

14. Anna
    December 14th, 2011 @ 2:21 pm

So pretty! I’m thinking more and more that I need to learn how to knit.

15. abigail
    December 15th, 2011 @ 8:38 pm

Katy, this is my favorite stitch too! so dense and warm yet interesting to look at plus non knitters are super impressed by it! As it looks more complicated that it actually is! ; ) I knit a cowl neck for myself in a soft pink baby alpaca yarn this fall- in seed stitch and I love it! It’s my go to warm accessory.

Your scarf is so lovely and perfect for New England!

~abigail

16. Jill
    December 16th, 2011 @ 8:16 am

Katy, the scarf is so lovely! Seed stitch is the best, as is that yarn! Thanks so much for the link (it feels nice to have inspired someone to knit something) and happy birthday :)

17. Rachel
    December 18th, 2011 @ 5:10 pm

In England, we call this moss stitch. I love it in either country.

18. salmon
    December 30th, 2011 @ 12:37 pm

this looks great, and thanks for the tips on adapting this pattern! i just my first scarf with this, using Lamb’s Pride Bulky yarn on 10.5 needles. i cast on 23 stitches, which makes it maybe a bit wider than it needs to be, but it worked. i love the color you chose.

December 30th, 2011 @ 6:44 pm

Good to know Rachel!

salmon, your scarf sounds beautiful too!

20. rebecca
    February 20th, 2012 @ 7:46 pm

it’s so beautiful! i am starting one for a friend for her birthday. is the slip one knit wise part of the pattern or just for the very first stitch? or the very first stitch for every row? thanks for your help!

February 20th, 2012 @ 7:50 pm

Hi Rebecca! It’s for every row. The slip one knit wise will make a nice edge up the side. Here’s a longer explanation using the same technique: http://www.katyelliott.com/blog/2011/12/make-a-seed-stitch-scarf.html

22. rebecca
    February 20th, 2012 @ 8:15 pm

thank you so much! i can’t wait to do it, i hope it turns out as nice as yours. :)

23. Andrea
    November 17th, 2012 @ 11:24 am

I’m a beginner knitter and was wondering if a super bulky merino wool yarn would work for this seed scarf pattern. The gauge for the yarn is 7.5-8 sts = 4 in. US 17 or 19 needles.
    Thanks for your help!

Andrea

November 18th, 2012 @ 12:55 pm

Hi Andrea,

I say, give it try but do a sample swatch. The width might need to cut down to compensate for the extra bulk of the yarn.

Good luck!

25. Carlissa
    January 5th, 2013 @ 9:32 am

Hi! I stumbled upon this blog post while searching for scarf patterns! I love it and it will be by next project.
    One question, how wide and long did this end up to be?

Thanks so much!

26. Marcia MacDonald
    February 2nd, 2013 @ 12:39 pm

I love your blog.
    This is a really great textural scarf.
    I do wish more people would knit with US sourced
    wools. There is lots of great alpaca wool grown right here in the US- like mine!

27. Jan
    July 21st, 2013 @ 12:05 am

I was wondering how you got the two-tone color effect. Did you use two different yarn colors or was the one yarn variegated? Also, you didn’t double the yarn, right? Thanks, Jan

28. Mary Jo
    December 11th, 2013 @ 8:07 am

Why did you have to slip the first stitch in each row.

29. http://engagementprinciples.com
    July 7th, 2014 @ 1:38 pm

Hello! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any problems with hackers?

My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing several weeks of hard work due to no backup.

Do you have any methods to prevent hackers?