Heritage Houses at Strawbery Banke

Posted on | November 14, 2011 | 8 Comments

On Sunday we were up in Portsmouth, New Hampshire and took a long walk through the Strawbery Banke museum. I noticed a number of the home had been recently renovated since my last visit.

The Heritage Houses are a collection of ten homes on Strawbery Banke’s property being restored to their original period condition to be leased as residential and office space. The initiative is meant “to generate an income stream that will maintain the buildings and contribute to the long term sustainability of Strawbery Banke.” I would be interested in learning more how the incorporation of modern conveniences are being addressed while still maintaining the homes historic integrity. Photos from inside the The Wheelwright House can been seen here.

The homes are breathtaking and very similar in structure to my house. We’re in the process of fixing some rotten window sills, corner boards and clapboards and the Heritage Houses offered beautiful inspiration. Above and below snapshots from our morning.

So who’s moving to Portsmouth to have the chance to rent one of these homes? I want to live in The Wheelwright House!

The Wheelwright House is part of the Heritage home collection and can be rented. “Sea captain John Wheelwright came home from the American Revolution to build a house that is a typical reflection of middle class family life in the late 1700s”.

The Cotton Tenant House a modest house constructed by Leonard Cotton in 1835; specifically as apartments. The renovation will be completed in spring 2012 and available for rental.

I dream of a kitchen garden with a collection of herbs.

A green lawn and bright yellow foliage on the property.

An old six paneled door caught my eye.

Purple berries spotted on a shrub.

A gorgeous cobble driveway.

A close-up of the berries. I think it’s Beautyberry?

Olive Gray with Black Shutters
Checking out Strawbery Banke
Pumpkin Beauty: Cogswell’s Grant House

Comments

8 Responses to “Heritage Houses at Strawbery Banke”

1. Steve
    November 14th, 2011 @ 10:52 am

Look how close the clapboards are on that oche house where you’ve zoomed in on the entryway. That’s amazing!

November 14th, 2011 @ 10:55 am

Hi Steve!

They look fanned. They are wider apart above the door. Clapboards often get closer together as the move down the house. As I understand this helps with water shed and rot.

3. Abigail
    November 14th, 2011 @ 4:59 pm

Yay, a quick trip home :) I’m from just over the bridge in Kittery Point and my father was curator at Strawberry Banke when I was little so it holds a special place in my heart.

A few years again, I took a day class offered through Kittery Rec. that was taught by the head gardener at S. B. The gardens themselves are a really fascinating time line of what was being grown through a number of time periods. I was particularly struck by how the variety of what was grown decreased as the decades went on.

4. catherine mccarthy
    November 14th, 2011 @ 5:52 pm

We visited Strawbery Banke/Portsmouth this past Summer. Such a great place. I’d relocate there in a heartbeat.

5. Don
    November 14th, 2011 @ 10:27 pm

Katy,
    Great pictures! I love Portsmouth and the old homes there. Strawberry Bank is so cool, I’d like to be there.

6. Katherine M.
    November 15th, 2011 @ 12:26 pm

I love seeing a post featuring one of my favorite places! My family and I usually visit Strawberry Banke several times a year, and always appreciate the meticulous preservation and timeless beauty of the village. Hard to believe that it’s already the time of year to start planning for the museum’s annual living history candlelight stroll event in December. It’s always a magical time!

7. Susan
    November 16th, 2011 @ 2:00 pm

These remind me of my dollhouse. ;)

8. Abigail's Mommy
    December 12th, 2012 @ 4:47 pm

Thanks for sharing the picture. I love that place! (Maine girl currently living in Texas)