Paperwhites with Periwinkle Shells

Posted on | November 21, 2011 | 12 Comments

paperwhites in footed terra cotta and shells Paperwhites with Periwinkle Shells

The tide was way out on Sunday morning and the periwinkle shells grouped together in a long curving band the length of the beach. I gathered a few in my hand inspecting all the different shapes and colors. I thought, “What could I make with these?” I dropped a few handfuls into my bag and kept walking. I spotted a group of perfectly round dark smooth rocks at the end of beach; dark grays rocks are a particular favorite. I have bowls with different collections scattered around the house.

When I got home I filled a large glass footed urn with gray rocks mixed with broken mussel shells. I nestled five paperwhite bulbs in a circle within the rocks and filled the container with fresh water; making sure I didn’t add too much because my bulbs could rot.

The tiny little periwinkle shells got a cold fresh water bath while I planted individual bulbs in dirt. I picked up the the terra cotta urns from a recent trip to Snug Harbor Farm in Maine. I scattered the periwinkle shells around the bulb just covering the dirt. I liked the contrasts of the rough bulb, tiny twisting shells, and smooth terra cotta. I added a few more and watered the bulbs. Hopefully by Christmas I’ll have paperwhites blooming in my windowsills and on my kitchen table.

paperwhites and shells and rocks from beach Paperwhites with Periwinkle Shells
adding shells to cover dirt Paperwhites with Periwinkle Shells
rocks and mussel shells in vase Paperwhites with Periwinkle Shells
perewinkles covering dirt Paperwhites with Periwinkle Shells

Make An Antique Terrarium
Typeface Drawer For Beach Treasures
Ben Pentreath’s Tulip Border Tips

pixel Paperwhites with Periwinkle Shells

Comments

12 Responses to “Paperwhites with Periwinkle Shells”

1. Steve
    November 21st, 2011 @ 9:38 am

Great idea and wonderful photos!

2. mary
    November 21st, 2011 @ 9:42 am

Ooooh, tiny shells! What a great idea. I used little pebbles for mine but love, love the shells.

3. Patsy
    November 21st, 2011 @ 11:02 am

Oh, I love that!! I use sea glass, may have to change it up this year. Love the glass hurricane idea, too – won’t have to tie the paperwhites together when they get tall.

4. My Dog-Eared Pages
    November 21st, 2011 @ 12:07 pm

A fantastic idea and I adore the shape of your Snug Harbor urns… perfect!!

5. Jessica
    November 21st, 2011 @ 12:09 pm

What a lovely use for all the things my husband and I can’t resist bringing home from the beach. I haven’t checked your blog for a couple of weeks and just read the auction post. Congratulations on your first auction experience, and sympathy – it’s so frustrating to be outbid on the piece you really want. Anyway, I wanted to suggest Devin Moisan auctions in Dover, NH – our old New Hampshire house has a few pieces in it from his auctions, and Dover’s not much further north than Portsmouth. Also, I noticed that there’s a cherry slant-front desk in the next auction…not quite as lovely as your escaped bow-front, but still pretty!

6. LindsB
    November 21st, 2011 @ 1:47 pm

Best use of shells I’ve seen in a long time! Love how they look with the paperwhites.

7. Michael Penney
    November 21st, 2011 @ 6:49 pm

I just KNEW those pots were from Snug Harbor when I saw that opening shot! They look gorgeous Katy! I can’t believe you’re at the beach near Christmas!!

Michael

8. mopar
    November 21st, 2011 @ 7:09 pm

So pretty and original. Love bulbs and paperwhites during the cold winter season — so festive.

9. quintessence
    November 25th, 2011 @ 2:24 pm

So charming!! I love the little shells in those pretty pots!! And they look great next to your hurricane with the larger pebbles!

10. Abbey
    November 28th, 2011 @ 10:21 pm

I love this!! It just made my whole evening. I love periwinkle shells and such a nice use for them. Hope you had a good thanksgiving!

11. christine e-e
    November 29th, 2011 @ 10:52 pm

ohhhh! such love-ly-ness…. i hope you’ll show us a picture of your flowers when they bloom?

12. Herringbone
    December 5th, 2011 @ 10:37 am

Hi Katy,
    Just spotted one of these photos at awelltraveledwoman.tumblr.com :)
    (on page 3)