Olive Gray with Black Shutters

Posted on | November 4, 2011 | 14 Comments

benjamin moore hampshire gray exterior paint Olive Gray with Black Shutters

I receive many requests for house paint colors for historic homes spotted in Marblehead. My neighbor recently painted her 1809 home a gorgeous olive gray. The color was custom but it’s really close to Hampshire Gray by Benjamin Moore. The shutters and doors are painted black with white trim.

Hampshire Gray is part of Benjamin Moore’s historical paint collection; the olive undertones are really striking, polished and sharp. Clarksville Gray which is a lighter tone is a favorite of mine too.

Remember the color you see on your computer screen varies and is not an accurate representation of the paint color. Always, always, always paint a sample swatch on your house and view in different light conditions before committing to a specific shade.

Historic New England offers paint consultations for period correct exterior or interior paint colors and treatments. Find out more about the homeowner membership and benefits on their website: historicnewengland.org. I sent in photos of my house new and old to find out what would be “period correct” for my house. Excited to hear what they come up with!

olive gray and black shutter old house Olive Gray with Black Shutters

House Colors: Gray, White, Green or Black
Painted House Numbers On Front Door
Old Slides Of My House And Mugford Street

pixel Olive Gray with Black Shutters

Comments

14 Responses to “Olive Gray with Black Shutters”

1. shanna
    November 4th, 2011 @ 3:23 pm

Oh I just love this color combination. It’s funny: I feel like I’m a pretty good judge of interior colors and what to choose but exterior always baffles me. We’ll have to replace the roof and siding on our house in the next 10ish years and I’m already doing my homework on what will look good! Bookmarking this for sure. Have a great weekend!

2. Steve
    November 4th, 2011 @ 4:16 pm

That’s really handsome. I love it.

I’ve always felt that historic homes should be serious colors. Grays, Olives, Browns, Taupes and/or white. The only exception might be ochre but it’s my least favorite of the bunch.

That being said, I do like some of the fun colors I see in Marblehead like the purple house that’s got the corner missing. But I could never do it myself.

3. Monica Dunkley
    November 4th, 2011 @ 4:56 pm

that is a beautiful house. Sigh.

4. Susan
    November 4th, 2011 @ 7:56 pm

It looks so great!

5. nicole
    November 5th, 2011 @ 10:56 am

that’s so pretty. fyi: we painted our maine revival hampshire grey this summer. i can send you pics if you’d like to post it for everyone. the color is beautiful and has a lot of depth. we’re getting ready to paint the front door iron mountain, an ashy black, also from benjamin moore, inspired by homes in beacon hill. love grey/green houses with soft black accents.

6. Natalie
    November 5th, 2011 @ 2:18 pm

Oooh I love it! Thanks for sharing! :)

November 7th, 2011 @ 8:26 am

Beautiful! I’m excited to read what you hear back re your own home too!

8. Leslie
    November 7th, 2011 @ 11:27 am

This is my favorite color combination. Beautiful!

November 7th, 2011 @ 2:03 pm

Nicole,

I e-mailed you a note regarding your house. :)

10. Patsy
    November 8th, 2011 @ 10:21 am

Katy, if you are using a local painter and a local paint shop, they are able to match any color you see around town, even ‘custom’. It’s like a painter’s mafia – lol!

November 8th, 2011 @ 10:50 am

Of course you can match a color or do a custom mix. But I think a lot of readers around the world are trying to replicate a new england old house “look” or own an old home too. It’s nice to know the color on the chart as a jumping off point. Makes the task of picking a color slightly less daunting.

12. Nicole D.
    September 26th, 2012 @ 11:39 pm

Nicole—I’d love to see pics of your house. I found this site because I was googling Hampshire Gray …love the color and I am considering painting our home Hampshire gray. I’d love to see it from another perspective. If you don’t mind sending pics you can email… (nicoledavis23@gmail.com).

Thanks!!
    Nicole D.

September 27th, 2012 @ 11:27 pm

Hi Nicole D.,
    We have not painted our house yet. We have some major construction to finish on the exterior first. Hoping for spring 2013. -Katy

14. Nicole D.
    October 14th, 2012 @ 11:31 pm

I see…i am sure it will be beautiful! I saw that another commenter on this page (nicole) mentioned she painted her house hampshire gray and could send pics. I know that it was a long time ago, but wondered if she might have sent pics to you? I have been googling the color, and I think this is the only site with that color as exterior. Thanks for posting such helpful information on your blog…looks like you guys are doing some great work on your house!