Make A Holiday Wreath

Posted on | November 28, 2011 | 17 Comments

holiday green wreath with winter berry Make A Holiday Wreath

The thing I like most about the holidays is making gifts and decorating. I’m not into fussy things and I try to keep it simple. I made a wreath for my front door at the Christmas Workshop at Snug Harbor Farm in Maine over the weekend.

To start we cut tree trimmings into smaller pieces. Tony showed us how to arrange the greens and tightly wrap the stems onto a round wire frame. The key to a good wreath is keeping the floral wire tight. He recommended holding the wreath in your left hand, keeping the wire spool short, wrapping the wire around the frame and then allowing the coil to drop to the table. Dropping the heavy wire spool locks the greens into place. Give the wire a little tug and then continue to layer greens as you move around the frame.

I’ve always had a problem with the sides flopping out like wings on my wreaths. Going tighter made a huge difference. I added winterberry, boxwood, and eucalyptus into my wreath. The winterberries are so happy and festive.

I hung the wreath on my front door Sunday afternoon and layered greens, winterberry and boxwood in the urn planter next to my front step. I don’t think I’ve ever had my holiday decorations up so early! Below snapshots from my day.

DSC9804 Make A Holiday WreathBarn at Snug Harbor Farm where where I took the wreath class.

DSC9775 Make A Holiday WreathTony showing us how to create steps and negative space in a wreath.

DSC9782 Make A Holiday Wreath
Bundles of winter berry, boxwood and eucalyptus for our wreathes.

my wreath Make A Holiday WreathA snapshot my wreath in progress.

holiday wreath for front door Make A Holiday WreathMy wreath with touches of winterberry, boxwood, and eucalyptus.

Holiday Pack Basket For Front Door
Simple Boxwood Wreath Wrapped In Ribbon
Spots of Holiday

pixel Make A Holiday Wreath

Comments

17 Responses to “Make A Holiday Wreath”

1. Erin
    November 28th, 2011 @ 9:13 am

i have a whole bag of greens from my visit home. planning to make own mini wreath today! your shots from the class are beautiful.

2. Steve
    November 28th, 2011 @ 9:40 am

What a beautiful post! That barn space off the shop is so charming it’s ridiculous. I really want to get up there with my tripod to try to capture it. Try to.

3. Emily
    November 28th, 2011 @ 9:43 am

Beautiful! Love the mix of greenery/berries that you chose.

4. ashley maureen
    November 28th, 2011 @ 9:50 am

what a great class! the perfect way to kick off christmas time and learn a thing or two as well.

5. mary
    November 28th, 2011 @ 11:41 am

I am so glad you took this class – your wreath looks awesome! I’m going to try to tackle my window boxes today.

6. redbrickbuilding
    November 28th, 2011 @ 1:59 pm

Your wreath is lovely. Show us photos of the urn!

November 28th, 2011 @ 2:19 pm

Here’s a peek of the urn: http://instagr.am/p/WNZGF/

8. chelsea
    November 28th, 2011 @ 4:33 pm

so gorgeous! i love these photos.

9. Shelby @ Lady Gouda
    November 28th, 2011 @ 4:37 pm

Just beautiful. This gets me in the spirit, despite the balmy weather out there!

10. redbrickbuilding
    November 28th, 2011 @ 5:03 pm

Thank you. It’s glorious!

11. Emily @ Finding My Aloha
    November 29th, 2011 @ 3:46 am

W.O.W. These pictures are just dreamy. I love that you made it yourself! I just love the classic timelessness boxwood brings to holiday decor!

12. Abigail
    November 29th, 2011 @ 4:01 am

your wreath came out beautifully and what an amazing way to spend a Saturday! I was imagining how amazing it must have smelled in that old barn with the fresh greens everywhere and the crisp Maine air. ::sigh:: it was almost like being there :)

13. Susan
    November 30th, 2011 @ 8:58 am

How gorgeous is that barn?!! Love it…I am making a wreath with D*S tomorrow night, excited! ;)

14. joanna goddard
    November 30th, 2011 @ 12:25 pm

this is so beautiful, katy!

15. Noelle
    December 3rd, 2011 @ 2:02 pm

Just beautiful and I can just imagine how great it smells! wonderful! Love your blog, look so forward to all of your posts!

16. Igor
    December 7th, 2011 @ 6:20 am

Simple yet beautiful! Love the idea of such a festive welcoming door. And the lights are magnificent!

17. Wendimere
    December 6th, 2012 @ 9:53 pm

Katy, this is one of the all-time favorites I’ve seen in a wreath. Gorgeous blend. It came together beautifully. Any possibility of a DIY from you before I tackle it on my fumble-fingered own?