Red Geraniums In Window

Posted on | October 13, 2011 | 19 Comments

I’m getting a bit grumpy about the impending winter. I don’t mind the snow but the dark days really get me down. I’m brainstorming ways to combat my seasonal depression and my first tip is flowers. I ordered Paperwhites and two Amaryllis to get me through till January. Tending to growth in the darker days of the year will give me some perspective.I’m reminded of the red geraniums I spotted in the windows at the Olsen House in Maine a few summers back. I have a shelf in a window in my kitchen that I could fit three plants in terra cotta pots across. Red buds and happy green translucent leaves will surely put a smile on my face as the light trickles in and I drink my morning coffee.

Andrew Wyeth & Olsen House in Cushing, Maine
Snug Harbor Farm
Ben Pentreath’s Tulip Border Tips

Comments

19 Responses to “Red Geraniums In Window”

October 13th, 2011 @ 11:30 am

Beautiful! My lemon trees are blossoming right now and that’s lifting my mood too.

2. Jaime
    October 13th, 2011 @ 12:39 pm

Such a great idea. I love it

3. Shelly
    October 13th, 2011 @ 1:14 pm

I know how you are feeling, I just brought in my citrus and ferns. :(
    At my old house I use to fill my fireplace mantel with geraniums in the winter. I think it does help the winter blues.

4. Desiree
    October 13th, 2011 @ 2:00 pm

Red geraniums are my fave and i have a kitchen window with shelves just like this. such a great idea!

5. Donna O'Brien
    October 13th, 2011 @ 4:41 pm

I find your blog to be very soothing and full of lovely and timeless ideas. My husband overwintered our geraniums from last summer and we had a great display in our window boxes. I’m going to do this in a kitchen window to remind me that summer is really just around the corner. I too wind up in a depressed state each winter: ugh!

October 13th, 2011 @ 4:53 pm

Thanks Donna, that’s sweet of you to say!

7. Steve
    October 13th, 2011 @ 4:54 pm

I resort to heavy drinking during the dark months. Geraniums might be a good alternative.

October 13th, 2011 @ 5:27 pm

That helps too Steve. But we’re going to go into winter thinking this is the year we won’t gain 10 pounds and become a lush. :)

9. erin
    October 13th, 2011 @ 7:47 pm

this, i love. paperwhites and amaryllis are about the only things that keep me going come winter. and tea. lots of tea. though perhaps steve has the right idea ;)

10. Abigail
    October 14th, 2011 @ 7:51 am

I’m from Maine and never really minded the bit of winter darkness until I moved to Paris, France where I live now. Here, it’s still pitch black at 8:30 in the morning during the winter! Plus the sun never comes out – it’s just gray for months.

Anyway, I think live plants are a great way of coping! Might I suggest potted herbs, too? Not only will they smell like summer when you run your hand through them or the sun hits them, but they’re functional too and give your meals a boost of fresh. (That totally sound like an infomercial – sorry! :p )

October 14th, 2011 @ 11:07 am

Wow 8:30 Abigail! That would kill me because I’m not a morning person.

I’ve done herbs but I get a little freaked out about them growing in a house we are renovating and then we ingest..maybe a little crazy of me?

Snapshot of my rosemary and parsley I brought in a few years ago: http://www.katyelliott.com/blog/2009/10/bringing-herbs-in-for-winter.html

12. Shelby @ Lady Gouda
    October 14th, 2011 @ 2:16 pm

So very pretty. Red geraniums always make me so happy when I see them in the summer months in New England, I love that you brought them inside to perk up this space. What a great idea!

13. Rosemary
    October 16th, 2011 @ 4:12 pm

Great post Katy. Flowers in the window remind me of my 93 year old grandmother in Wisconsin. Every year she brings in her flowers so that she doesn’t have to purchase new ones each year. You have to love the frugality of it. I’m fortunate that I have flowers blooming all year long here in Southern California as we don’t experience near the type of winters the rest of you do. Our winters tend to be just a little more subtle. :-) I still force paperwhites each year though as it’s a Christmas tradition for us. Maybe I’ll try my hand at Amaryllis this year.

Oh and if the geraniums don’t work in the dead of winter might I suggest a quick trip to San Diego and its near perfect weather,it might beat those winter blues too.

14. ileana
    October 17th, 2011 @ 12:28 am

what a beautiful idea and post. i’m sure the red and bright green against a snowy backdrop will be so cheery in the winter months.

15. janet gordon
    October 17th, 2011 @ 8:51 am

How very evocative of Maine and my Nova Scotia red geraniums are with the northern atlantic light streaming in. It seems no matter how poor and stark the surroundings sometimes are, downeasterners manage to have geraniums in clay pots or even in old fruit cans on the windowsills in the kitchen!

16. Ann
    October 17th, 2011 @ 1:11 pm

These are my favorite; my grandfather always had them planted at his place in the country. They remind me of being out there, just beautiful!

17. Jennifer
    October 23rd, 2011 @ 11:37 pm

A Swedish friend once told me it is a very Swedish tradition to have geraniums in your window. You often see them in the artwork of Carl Larsson:
    and sometimes Elsa Beskow, too.
    Those Swedes know how to brighten long winters…

October 24th, 2011 @ 10:53 am

aw, very interesting Jennifer. Thanks for sharing.

19. That's Not My Age
    October 24th, 2011 @ 2:03 pm

I do like geraniums because they’re hardy. I leave them on my balcony over winter and they’re the only plant that survives!