Book: The Art of Instruction

Posted on | October 3, 2011 | 7 Comments

art of instruction book Book: The Art of Instruction

I’m always on the hunt for books my design friends and their kids can enjoy together. Beautiful colors, drawings and educational; The Art of Instruction: Vintage Educational Charts from the 19th and 20th Centuries represents the decade long collection of Katrien Van der Schueren owner of Viola! gallery. Large-scale wall charts were once used as teaching tools in Europe during the late 1800′s to the 1920′s. Over 100 are reproduced into two collections, botany and zoology. I’m fascinated by each plate and kinda want to buy two copies—one to enjoy and the second to cut up and frame. Below a few of my favorites. The book is available through amazon.com for $35.

marigold chart Book: The Art of Instruction
swiss moss fern chart1 Book: The Art of Instructionmistletoe chart Book: The Art of Instructionles frutis chart Book: The Art of Instruction
herring education chart Book: The Art of Instruction

Images Courtesy of Chronicle Books.

Book: Markets of New England
Cookbook: River Cottage Every Day
Book: Country By Jasper Conran

pixel Book: The Art of Instruction

Comments

7 Responses to “Book: The Art of Instruction”

1. Steve
    October 3rd, 2011 @ 2:20 pm

I think the black ones are just stunning. You run across them every now and then on ebay and etsy, some are newer (’60s and ’70s) and they usually have some damage which I think adds to the appeal. I ran into one on etsy a while back from the 1800s like the one you showed at the Marston House for $175 and I could kick myself for not buying it. Marston House wanted $1600 for theirs.

October 3rd, 2011 @ 5:12 pm

Hi Steve,

Many of the charts featured in the book can also be purchased in large reproduction format from Katrien’s gallery. See here: http://www.voilagallery.com/walldecoration/educational-charts.html

3. Rosemary
    October 4th, 2011 @ 12:27 am

Katy,

Your link to Katrien’s gallery could get me into so much trouble. Love these!

4. Rosemary M. Simpson
    October 4th, 2011 @ 11:19 am

Katie, these are stunning! Thanks for posting them. I’ve sent the link to people I know who teach visual arts and computer graphics and who are always on the lookout for great information visualization examples.

5. Herringone
    October 4th, 2011 @ 12:53 pm

My old school had loads of different ‘skol-planscher’ as we in Sweden call them :) They were nearly 100 years old and my teacher really enjoyed using them. Wish I had them all on our walls at home!
    Thank you for bringing back memories.

6. Sara
    October 4th, 2011 @ 4:02 pm

I love this post. So nice to know about the book and the prints.

7. Noel
    October 5th, 2011 @ 11:03 am

Here’s another source for large scale educational charts: http://theevolutionstore.com/

I found an old Hagemann life science flip chart in an antique shop years ago. The posters are
    quite large and beautiful.

Noel