So how’s the old house coming? We have a bunch of small projects we’re working on; each one involves a ton of research, hours spent sourcing (home depot doesn’t carry antique hardware) and then we have to complete the project. I underestimate the time involved for every single one.
Case in point: exterior door. Our front door is not original and I want to replace it. But what would be appropriate? The photo I have of the house is from the last 125 years (?) and I doubt the door seen is original. What I’ve found in researching is 8 and 6-panel doors fit the period of my house. I prefer the 8-panel because its really unique and feels more Georgian. I’m having a heck of time finding one and I’m hearing from fellow renovators they’ve never even seen one at salvage. And if I were to buy a reproduction, who stateside makes them? Once I find the door I can then choose hardware, have the molding around the door fixed and add an exterior light. Below a few more projects we have in the works.
The renovation is kicking our butt lately and we’re having definite moments of wanting for it all to be done. It’s exhausting to work, write a blog, renovate and somehow fit a trip to the gym and a homemade dinner using my farm box veggies in a day. Most days the only thing on that lists that gets accomplished is work, not taking the time exercise is taking a toll on my anxiety levels and waistline. I don’t want to be a complainer because I know it’s all part of the process and I can’t expect to finish everything overnight. So I tell myself again, Patience Katy, little-by-little.
We decided to add thumb latches to the doors in the den. We need to find three sets. The detail shot shows the nails were are looking for attach the HL hinges and latches spotted at Old House Parts in Maine.
I’ve decided to add interior shutters to the windows in the den. Through my Historic New England Homeowner membership I am getting some help researching a style that is appropriate. They’re also helping me with how to properly restore my fireboxes in this room too.
We gutted an old beadboard cabinet, fixed the walls and painted the molding green. Next we need to install shelves for a bookcase.
I’ve been fixing the little gaps between the molding and the wall using Lightweight Joint Compound. You think this would be quick but it takes hours. This wall needs a touch up with paint but the gaps have been filled.
I picked Clunch as my entire house molding color. I ordered a gallon along with a little more Verte De Terre to finish up the den.
Greg got started stripping the molding and the door in the entryway. The door and molding will be painted, Clunch. We’re not there yet but the walls in the entry with no molding will probably be wallpapered.
This is the BIG project we’re avoiding. The back extension needs to have it’s clapboards replaced and bunch of other things including rotten window sills and the bathroom tower out of view in this photo needs help too. Greg was going to try to attempt it himself but it just hasn’t happened. We’re going to get estimates this week so we can hopefully get it done before winter. And then we can paint!!