The Marston House Antiques: Bed & Breakfast

Posted on | September 19, 2011 | 21 Comments

the marston house antiques The Marston House Antiques: Bed & Breakfast

Over the weekend we went up to Wiscasset, Maine to do some antiquing. Many of the shops close in early October and I was hoping to find some end of the season deals. We stayed at the Marston House part antique, part bed & breakfast run by design duo Sharon and Paul Mrozinski. Part antique shop, part bed & breakfast. Two beautiful rooms are available in the carriage house with fireplaces and full bathrooms. Breakfast is delivered each morning in a basket between 8-9 am. Greg and I felt so spoiled drinking delicious coffee, warm biscuits and granola with a fire going on Sunday morning. The rooms are quite affordable at $110 a night.

In the main house the shop includes two large rooms filled with antique linens, wares, and furniture the couple has picked up in France. Sharon and Paul spend the summer in Maine and winters in France searching for “antique homespun textiles and furnishings from the 18th and 19th century that are simple, useful and full of soul”. The couple also has three properties for rent in the south of France too.

I really enjoy their design aesthetic. The pieces selected are simple, uncomplicated and interesting. Nothing feels too fussy and the spaces they’ve created are enjoyable and welcoming. Below snapshots from the shop as well as our room in the carriage house.

Thanks to Sharon and Paul for having us! We’ll see you in France next!

The Marston House
Sharon & Paul Mrozinski
101 Main Street
Wiscasset, Maine
207.882.6010
marstonhouse.com

DSC 9008 The Marston House Antiques: Bed & Breakfast
DSC 8956 The Marston House Antiques: Bed & BreakfastDSC 8976 The Marston House Antiques: Bed & BreakfastDSC 8988 The Marston House Antiques: Bed & Breakfast
DSC 8970 The Marston House Antiques: Bed & Breakfast
DSC 8990 The Marston House Antiques: Bed & BreakfastDSC 8989 The Marston House Antiques: Bed & Breakfast
DSC 8977 The Marston House Antiques: Bed & BreakfastDSC 8971 The Marston House Antiques: Bed & BreakfastDSC 8994 The Marston House Antiques: Bed & Breakfast
DSC 9020 The Marston House Antiques: Bed & Breakfast

DSC 8938 The Marston House Antiques: Bed & Breakfast
DSC 89411 The Marston House Antiques: Bed & Breakfast
DSC 9049 The Marston House Antiques: Bed & Breakfast
DSC 9053 The Marston House Antiques: Bed & Breakfast
DSC 9060 The Marston House Antiques: Bed & Breakfast
DSC 9073 The Marston House Antiques: Bed & Breakfast
DSC 9055 The Marston House Antiques: Bed & Breakfast

Wiscasset, Maine: The Marston House & Treats
Tide Out At Crescent Beach
Andrew Wyeth & Olsen House in Cushing, Maine

pixel The Marston House Antiques: Bed & Breakfast

Comments

21 Responses to “The Marston House Antiques: Bed & Breakfast”

1. Steve
    September 19th, 2011 @ 1:32 pm

Totally oozing with New England charm! If I stayed there this weekend, they’d be charging my credit card for the pine dresser I stole out of the room. I also love that (clam/mussel?) vintage chart hanging on the wall.

2. Jessica
    September 19th, 2011 @ 1:47 pm

ah, looks like heaven. (and so affordable!)

September 19th, 2011 @ 1:50 pm

I know Steve! I love that dresser too! The chart is beautiful in person.

4. Desiree
    September 19th, 2011 @ 1:52 pm

this place looks amazing! any idea where I can find bittersweet wreaths just like that?

September 19th, 2011 @ 1:57 pm

Hi Desiree,

I’ve never seen bittersweet available mail order or online. I would check local farms and farmer’s markets in your area.

6. Amanda (Dear Frances)
    September 19th, 2011 @ 2:06 pm

Oh wow, that bittersweet wreath contrasted against that door is to die for! I was SO bummed this summer when I had just one afternoon to squeeze in some antiquing in Wiscasset, on the way to visiting family in Boothbay Harbor (where I’m from, originally), and most of the antique shops were closed (including the Marston House)! Growing up, Wiscasset was just the town that I dreaded getting through on my way from Western Maine to Boothbay (Rt 1 traffic!), and where I would venture a couple times a summer to the flea market. But now as an adult, I have a completely new appreciation of it and can’t wait to check out more of its shops (and now, the accommodations at the Marston House!). Thanks for the post!

September 19th, 2011 @ 2:09 pm

Yup, a lot of the shops are by appointment only during the week and then open saturday and sunday. I would call ahead or plan to visit the town on the weekend.

8. mary
    September 19th, 2011 @ 3:02 pm

Lucky duck! I have had my eye on this place ever since I read about it in Victoria magazine. We drove through Wiscasset and right past it twice on our drive to and from Bar Harbor. Next time I’m stopping in for sure!! Great photos!

9. Rosemary
    September 19th, 2011 @ 5:36 pm

I wonder if this house and it’s previous owners, has any relationship to the historic Marston House here in San Diego?
    http://marstonhouse.org/ Did you happen to get any history on why it’s called Marston House?

September 19th, 2011 @ 7:08 pm

Hmm I’m not sure Rosemary. But I can ask.

11. Ann - Hill Country House
    September 19th, 2011 @ 11:39 pm

Marston House is one of my favorite places to visit when I get to Maine. Lucky you to stay there! I am so happy to find your blog and will be adding you to my daily reads. Love your part of the country! Ann

12. Heather
    September 20th, 2011 @ 8:53 pm

What a beautiful place! I love the sparse, homespun aesthetic. Really lovely!~

13. Rosemary
    September 21st, 2011 @ 3:44 pm

Katy,

No worries..if you have time to check that’s great if not don’t worry about it. Rosemary

September 21st, 2011 @ 11:31 pm

I found out Rosemary! From Sharon:

The Marston Family owned the house since the 1840′s..
    so when we bought everyone who we met in town would say
    “oh you bought the Marston House”…
    Paul wisely decided to call it that.. sounds better than Mrozinski House!!!!
    I do keep a Marston Family visitors book.. hoping some of the Marston’s will find
    a long lost cousin or someone Marston…..

15. Clementine
    September 26th, 2011 @ 2:56 pm

Another lovely post Katy. Marsten House looks amazing! I love those mugs at the top of your post and the bedroom looks beautiful. What an idyllic place to stay. x

16. Abigail
    September 29th, 2011 @ 9:15 am

hi Katy!

I’ve been following your beautiful blog for a while but (shame on me) never commented. when I saw this post, I just had to pipe up. I have such a magical memory of staying at the Marston House with my parents when I was a kid. Your pictures took me back as if not one day had gone by – it hasn’t changed! I remember that they had some dogs when we stayed there and they had little dog treats left in the room that we could offer the pups on the way to and from the guest house. :)

anyway, thanks for sharing all these wonderful images!

-Abigail

17. abigail
    January 4th, 2012 @ 7:36 pm

lovely, I’m bookmarking this post for a future trip to Maine!

abigail

aka @GrayDayShop

18. Barbara stroud
    January 13th, 2012 @ 1:39 pm

Thank you for the information about the B&B, I absolutely loved the photos!! Thanks for posting!

19. Andrea
    May 21st, 2013 @ 1:04 pm

Note that on the website it now says $125 per night.

20. Andrea
    May 21st, 2013 @ 1:05 pm

Note that on the website it now says $125 per night.

21. Henna Lund
    May 29th, 2013 @ 12:17 pm

wow! I love all of it. . . I wish I could buy half of the vintage looking pieces and ship to Europe!!!

With these great interiors you should participate in this contest:

Henna !