Green Molding with Yellow Accent

Posted on | September 28, 2011 | 12 Comments

green molding in veranda1 Green Molding with Yellow Accent

Over the weekend I was traveling for my daytime gig; I hate flying but enjoy the 2-3 hours flipping through magazines. The green molding on the October issue of Veranda caught my eye. Inside a renovation of a 1920′s estate in Nashville depicts grandeur in a pastel palette designed by Barry Dixon. The Robert Kime linen curtains (available through John Rosselli) glows yellow against the green molding. The rest of elements are a bit fussy for me but work well with hints of blue.

This is the third time yellow has caught my eye and had me thinking about my den painted in Farrow & Ball’s Verte De Terre. Below a room from the RIBA exhibit—interior design by Max Rollit. A yellow acidy sofa is a nice contrast to the green. In Ben Pentreath’s house a boxy Max Rollit sofa warms a room full of antiques and textiles. The walls are neutral but hints of sagey greens can be seen on chairs and the ottomon. The acidy yellow compared to a flax linen sofa feels warmer and more inviting in the depths of winter.

I’ve gone back and forth on upholstering a sofa in a acidy yellow but I’m a little fearful. Will I hate it in a few years? What if I use it on a chair instead? Curtains are a no; I think the room is too small and interior shutters feel more appropriate and less fussy.

benpentreathriba Green Molding with Yellow AccentRIBA exhibit

ben pentreath living room Green Molding with Yellow AccentBen Pentreath’s yellow boxy sofa.

den early may 2011 Green Molding with Yellow AccentMy den with molding in Verte De Terre and walls in James White from Farrow & Ball.

Images above from Veranda, Style + Pretty, Ben Pentreath and Katy Elliott.

Searching for the Perfect Sofa
Boxy Sofa with Pillows
Robert Kime Floral Fabrics
Historic Interior Shutters

pixel Green Molding with Yellow Accent

Comments

12 Responses to “Green Molding with Yellow Accent”

1. Steve
    September 28th, 2011 @ 12:12 pm

I especially love what’s going on the middle room. I can totally see your den looking like that with a persian carpet, pale acid yellow sofa and lots of artwork. T’would be loverly!

2. Britt @ Dreamy Spaces
    September 28th, 2011 @ 3:29 pm

What awesome molding! Makes such a huge difference to a home! I really like that shade of green.

3. Pam
    September 29th, 2011 @ 10:46 am

I second Steve. And I think if the yellow is pale it won’t be too dominating and will be more versatile.
    It’s hard to plan around what you think you’ll hate in a few years without making everything neutral. But I understand the need and desire to plan long term. You don’t seem like a fickle person, so I think if you go with your gut and with something you really like now, you’ll probably be okay.

4. mb
    September 29th, 2011 @ 6:40 pm

You know the acid yellow you’re debating with trepidation is a classic color for living room sofa’s across the pond. I say embrace it. I have long been a fan of that fab color. My British in-laws have two settees in their living room in that acid yellow… the room was decorated by Colfax and Fowler… it is timeless.

Good luck.
    mb from Dallas

5. mopar
    September 30th, 2011 @ 12:04 am

I don’t think you would tire of a yellow sofa, as long as it’s a yellow you have always liked and would wear yourself as a color in clothing. While I love the silk, it seems a bit formal. What about yellow in a more casual slubby linen-cotton-raw silk-burlap-handspun? I mean the look, I don’t know the actual fiber content. That is what our couch is and my mom bought it in 1962, and I have never tired of it. (It’s beige, not yellow.) It’s Eisenhower era but has a slightly proto-hippie feel that merges well with its acid yellow (!) pillow and a handknit huge chunky color block afghan. Of course you might not want a proto-hippie feel but you might want homespun. :) With the texture, it is not so difficult to keep clean, also. Then again, you could go for beige, I never thought I would choose such a boring color, but it looks very nice with floral wallpaper in a dark color with some beige bits in it and beige window shades. But perhaps wallpaper is not among your plans for that room. Third option: Couches should match your eye color! Wouldn’t that be blue or blue-green? But yellow is in a way also your hair color, so that’s good too. Another option is yellow in a pillow, and for lampshades or curtains if you think you might tire of it in a couch.

6. mopar
    September 30th, 2011 @ 12:16 am

Looking at the room, I think a yellow couch will look absolutely fantastic in it. As long as it’s a color of yellow you like anyway and would wear in clothing, I don’t think you will tire of it. Some fabric other than shiny silk might be more practical and casual, such as a nubby raw silk-cotton-linen-handspun-burlap sort of looking thing (whatever the actual fiber content). I think it will look wonderful, especially with a pink-y and blue rug.

7. mopar
    September 30th, 2011 @ 12:17 am

Eek, sorry, didn’t mean to post twice!

8. Maggy
    September 30th, 2011 @ 9:33 am

I agree, they are calming and yet warm colors – not something you find too often. Love your blog, I’m a displaced New Englander in Colorado – makes me miss home, but in a good way :)

September 30th, 2011 @ 9:58 am

I think I’m sold on the yellow. Still on the hunt for a sofa and ordered a few high end linen samples that I can hopefully mimic. Stay tuned…

Sorry for the lack of posting this week. I got the flu. :(

10. Nicola
    October 2nd, 2011 @ 11:17 pm

Just came across your blog and it’s been fun to read about your home restoration. I grew up in a 1732 home in Massachusetts that my parents spent about 20 years restoring. Your blog is a little walk down memory lane. Good luck and enjoy!

11. mb
    October 5th, 2011 @ 9:27 am

Katy, maybe some yellow velvet fabric? Could be pretty wonderful too.
    I have some acid yellow linen pillows in my family room that don’t look quite as intense as they did when I got them. They have gotten worn looking with out really taking high traffic.

I have a white linen couch in the living room and two linen wing chairs in linen in the family room, both by Verellen that look great, but the colorways are more user friendly for wear.

Good luck with your search.
    mb from big D.