Vintage Ikat Sofa

Posted on | August 31, 2011 | 15 Comments

I spotted this library over at Abbey Goes Design Scouting last week. I can’t stop staring at that sofa. As Abbey describes, “I love the WASPY touches; the dogs, the bar, the eagle mirror.” I’ll take the sofa, books, the eagle mirror and that blue jar.

I’m still on the hunt for a small settee for my library. I saw a sofa so similar last fall at Grace Sales in Marblehead for $450. Damn, I should have bought it!! How cute would have it been slipcovered?

Below samples of Peter Dunham’s Rajmata fabric which as similar feel to the sofa above. I love the blue but my eye is drawn to the rusty red too.

Melanie Acevedo via abbey goes design scouting via the lil bee.

Small Scale Sofas
Recent Finds: Terrarium, Camel Back Sofa, and Stool
Les Indiennes: Indian-Inspired Fabric

Comments

15 Responses to “Vintage Ikat Sofa”

August 31st, 2011 @ 12:21 pm

Love this and it would look fantastic in that rusty red. I wish the background colour was a tad rustier – it looks a little peach.

Hopefully another suitable settee comes along!

2. meesch
    August 31st, 2011 @ 12:27 pm

i actually like the greener blue of the fabric choices you have better than the blue in the photo of the couch!

-meesch

3. Steve
    August 31st, 2011 @ 12:38 pm

I think I have this photo in my “bookshelves” file but you’re right the sofa’s wonderful. I love that the slip isn’t too perfect and the down cushion makes you want to dive right in. I think this would feel right at home in your place.

4. Abbey
    August 31st, 2011 @ 1:07 pm

I love that fabric you found!! Such a great sofa! Thanks for the link, lady!

5. Doreen
    August 31st, 2011 @ 3:08 pm

Love the sofa – blue and only blue! Love the room with the blue sofa – if it’s not broken don’t fix it (especially with red).

6. Donna Seger
    August 31st, 2011 @ 4:03 pm

Katy,

I think I saw a smallish sofa similar to what you are looking for at the resale shop over here in Salem: Once & Again on Bridge Street. It was a while ago, but it might be worth checking out, as well as the Stock Exchange up in Manchester.

August 31st, 2011 @ 4:06 pm

Thanks Donna! I think I need to do a little scouting road trip of the shore tomorrow am.

8. mopar
    September 1st, 2011 @ 9:46 am

Love that slipcovered sofa too! I think I’ve seen that photo before — anyone know where it’s from? (I thought maybe Sister Parish, but no, it’s not Sister Parish.)

9. mopar
    September 1st, 2011 @ 9:47 am

Katy, is the white sofa the one you saw for $450 but didn’t buy? Great price, but I agree it doesn’t have quite the same look and feel as the slipcovered one (if that’s why you passed). Oh, but maybe you can change the feet?

September 1st, 2011 @ 10:18 am

oops sorry if it’s confusing.

The top photo in from photographer Melanie Acevedo shown on 1stdibs.com. http://photoarchive.1stdibs.com/search?photographer=Melanie+Acevedo

The similar sofa I found is white but I didn’t buy it.

I could have changed out the legs and slipcovered it in a different fabric like Peter Dunham’s.

11. mopar
    September 1st, 2011 @ 10:24 am

Aha! Thanks for the reference.

12. ann marie
    September 3rd, 2011 @ 6:12 pm

I’ve seen quite a few small settees at local Estate Sales. Granted, most need to either be slipcovered or reupholstered, but sometime the prices can’t be beat! Some of the older parts of town, not neccesarily the really expensive, high end neighborhoods have the best, well loved items! I’ll be in Boston next week visiting my daughter, maybe there’ll be one or two to visit. Definitely something to look into!

13. My Dog-Eared Pages
    October 7th, 2011 @ 11:19 am

I adore the sofa in this photo! I think it might be slipcovered in a favorite of mine by John Stefanidis. [http://www.johnstefanidis.net/display.php?pid=16241]

14. AtTuned To Style
    November 13th, 2011 @ 5:39 pm

just found your blog via InStyle magazine mention. first thing i clicked on was this Ikat settee – fabulous.

15. pamela haines
    November 19th, 2011 @ 8:04 pm

I just found ths site and sooooo glad I did. Simply beautiful!