Lobster Dinner at the Cod End in Tenants Harbor

Posted on | August 10, 2011 | 14 Comments

DSC 8120 Lobster Dinner at the Cod End in Tenants Harbor Tenants Harbor, Maine.

We spent the weekend up in Maine eating lobsters, paddleboarding and hanging out at the beach. Our first night we had lobster dinner at the Cod End in Tenants Harbor. The view from the deck can’t get any better; looking out at a scenic harbor dotted with working lobster boats and a pine tree horizon in the distance. At the Cod End all the fish, lobster and clams are local. Greg ordered the Shore Dinner (a mix of lobster, clams and mussels) and I got a lobster roll. A fog bank rolled into the harbor while we were eating filling the air with a cold, dewy, salty mist.

DSC 8066 Lobster Dinner at the Cod End in Tenants Harbor Inside the Cod End market.

DSC 8064 Lobster Dinner at the Cod End in Tenants Harbor Lobsters arranged by size in the market.

DSC 8118 Lobster Dinner at the Cod End in Tenants Harbor You should always boil your lobsters in sea water or use sea salt.

DSC 8070 Lobster Dinner at the Cod End in Tenants Harbor Dinner!

DSC 8072 Lobster Dinner at the Cod End in Tenants Harbor Greg enjoying clams. Check out the biscuit that came with dinner, delicious!

DSC 8059 Lobster Dinner at the Cod End in Tenants Harbor View of Cod End from the dock.

DSC 8094 Lobster Dinner at the Cod End in Tenants Harbor Beautiful boats tied up at the docks.

DSC 8114 Lobster Dinner at the Cod End in Tenants Harbor Lobster traps.

Owls Head General Store
Andrew Wyeth & Olsen House in Cushing, Maine
Harraseeket Lobster Roll

pixel Lobster Dinner at the Cod End in Tenants Harbor

Comments

14 Responses to “Lobster Dinner at the Cod End in Tenants Harbor”

1. Hanna
    August 10th, 2011 @ 1:22 pm

Lovely boat picture–and that biscuit looks amazing.

I went to a similar Maine on-the-water lobster hut when I was little–picking my own live lobster from the tank for dinner was traumatic, to say the least.

2. Steve
    August 10th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm

A few years ago I took a painting class in Rockland–during the lobster festival–and I spent a day driving around that area taking photos. I SO wanted to walk around Tenants Harbor but I couldn’t find a single place to park. Not. one. space.

I don’t know if you realize it but you’re much more than a renovation blog. You’re a lifestyle magazine. These images are really beautiful and so perfectly capture the spirit of the place. I want to be there. Now. And I want that biscuit!

Really beautiful post!

s.

August 10th, 2011 @ 1:36 pm

Thanks Steve!

4. Rosemary
    August 10th, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

I have just found your wonderful blog via Ben Pentreath – I am now hooked.

August 10th, 2011 @ 2:37 pm

Thanks Rosemary, welcome!

6. katy
    August 10th, 2011 @ 4:46 pm

Hi there! I just came across your blog today and I am enamored with your photos! I live in California and the photos you have taken of Maine makes me want to pack up and move there! I was wondering about what type of camera you used to take these photos? I will definitely be following your blog as of today! (I have a lot of catching up to do!) :)

August 10th, 2011 @ 5:08 pm

Hi Katy!

Thanks for sweet note. I use a Nikon D5000.

8. Kit Mitchell
    August 10th, 2011 @ 7:32 pm

One of my top ten favorite locations! Love Tenants Harbor and the oh so Katy Elliott take on it! Great post!

9. Roxane
    August 10th, 2011 @ 9:26 pm

Great pictures! Although I’m a weird New Englander, don’t eat lobster or clams!!! Will have to do the sea salt next time I boil the lobster for the DH. :D

I think everyone was trying to go to Maine this past week-end!! 20 mph coming from NH up I-95!!! Yikes!!! Had a great week-end though, Sunday was all fogged in at the beach early in the a.m.

10. mary
    August 11th, 2011 @ 10:41 am

I’m drooling. I hope you have an endless supply of Maine pics yet to post…they are fantastic. I am so excited for our own trip up there!

August 11th, 2011 @ 12:11 pm

Thanks Mary!

12. chelsea
    August 11th, 2011 @ 6:34 pm

Omg. This looks amazing!!

13. Jennifer
    August 14th, 2011 @ 12:51 pm

Katy-LOVE these shots. This is now on my “to visit while in Maine” list. I’d like to purchase a print of the beautiful boats with the fog in the distance. Could you email me? cookingforcomfort@gmail.com

Thanks!

14. Kristen
    July 4th, 2012 @ 8:51 am

Thanks for sharing this! My grandmother was born and raised in Tenants Harbor and then moved to Camden. I have been to the Cod End, but only via dinghy! I love your documentation of it!