Snug Harbor Farm

Posted on | July 22, 2011 | 13 Comments

DSC 7506 Snug Harbor Farm

I took the day off on Wednesday and headed up to Maine to hang out with Michael Penny and his lovely wife Sara. He’s an editor at Canadian House & Home and writes a great blog too.

We spent the morning scouring the booths at Antiques USA in Arundel and then headed down to Snug Harbor Farm in Kennebunk. We spent at least 2 hours looking at all the different plants, poking in and out of greenhouses and enjoying the beautiful scenery. It’s such a special place!

I picked up a few new perennials—even though I have no room in my garden—and a beautiful succulent to place on my desk. Below snapshots I took on my visit.

Snug Harbor Farm

DSC 7562 Snug Harbor Farm
DSC 7527 Snug Harbor Farm

Snug Harbor Farm Late May
Early April at Snug Harbor Farm
Snug Harbor at Boston Flower Show

pixel Snug Harbor Farm

Comments

13 Responses to “Snug Harbor Farm”

1. Angela Piszker
    July 22nd, 2011 @ 11:51 am

Jason Home and Garden is having a floor sample sale if you are still looking for a sofa. Love this post and thank you so much for introducing me to Ben P’s blog. I have a living room that is only 10″ x 12″ feet with a fireplace, three doors,a large opening to the dining room, and I am having the hardest time finding a couch. My husband wants a sectional tee hee.

2. mary
    July 22nd, 2011 @ 11:57 am

Such a special place! I love your pics. And I must check out that antiques place in Arundel! I’m drooling at the thought of it.

3. Christine C.
    July 22nd, 2011 @ 12:43 pm

Gorgeous pictures! I am adding this to my ‘places to visit’ list for the next time I am in Maine!

Great post!

4. Steve
    July 22nd, 2011 @ 12:49 pm

Katy,
    You captured the place really well. I almost bumped into you. I went up there yesterday thinking it would be a little cooler. Not!
    I went in to Withington and it must have been 120 degrees inside the place, like an oven. Brutal. But it’s always great to visit and I scored a great antique Bar Harbour chair.

5. Rachel from Love a la Mode
    July 22nd, 2011 @ 1:24 pm

There’s something oddly romantic about succulents… I’ve definitely planning to buy a few next month to decorate my townhouse with.
    Bisous,
    Rachel

6. Simsbury Skirt
    July 22nd, 2011 @ 9:50 pm

Looks like an amazing place, and you really captured it’s character and beauty in the photos. Great job, as always!

7. nanne
    July 24th, 2011 @ 5:06 pm

i love an interesting, local nursery..thanks for the great pics!!

btw…there is a cool, old school jazz club in new orleans called snug harbor….

8. Michelle
    July 26th, 2011 @ 11:13 am

ooooh that looks like my idea of a perfect day out :O)

9. Katy Elliott on Facebook
    July 27th, 2011 @ 8:44 am

wall tiles commented on katyelliott.com:

Looks like an amazing place. I wish I could go there right now!

10. Katy Elliott on Facebook
    July 27th, 2011 @ 8:44 am

wall tiles commented on katyelliott.com:

Looks like an amazing place. I wish I could go there right now!

11. for the love of a house
    July 27th, 2011 @ 11:24 pm

I have two of their topiaries sitting in my kitchen! Love this place- the first time I stumbled upon it after moving from Texas I did a little happy cry- it was perfection! My favorite (and that is saying a lot!) garden shop ever!

joan

12. mopar
    August 3rd, 2011 @ 12:25 am

Angela! I read your post with great interest. It is difficult to fit a couch in any room less than 13 feet wide. (I know a room like the one you describe — it’s an Edwardian apartment in Jackson Heights, Queens.) You could fiddle around with love seats and what not, but I would just get two beautiful upholstered, comfy armchairs and a nice table between them. If you look at old photos of Edwardian apartments, you will be surprised to discover (at least I was) no couches! They are full of chairs scattered about. And tables. Try a Google image search on decorator Tom Scheerer. He has his own web site, with a great example of two soft green easy chairs and a Saarinen table in front of the fire, no couch. I’ve always been inspired by that picture.

13. Kristen
    August 3rd, 2011 @ 4:29 pm

Katy, these pictures are so inspirational! I grew up in Maine, but had never heard of Snug Harbor Farm before. I’m heading home tomorrow and am going to make time to visit them. Thanks for sharing :)