Making Raspberry Jam with Mint and Lavender

Posted on | July 19, 2011 | 17 Comments

DSC 7449 Making Raspberry Jam with Mint and Lavender

Over the weekend we made raspberry jam. I was a little concerned about the seeds. They don’t bother me but Greg suggested about a week ago he hates raspberry seeds—he denies this statement now. So when I thought he hated seeds I ordered this Fruit and Vegetable Strainer KitchenAid attachment to remove them.

He bugged me all Saturday morning asking when I was going to start so he could try out the new toy. After a quick rinse the raspberries went into the strainer. He had a great time and even said, “This is the most fun I’ve had in the kitchen in a long time.” He read on a discussion board not to run them through twice because the strainer could crack or put excess labor on your mixer— he of course didn’t believe this statement. “Look at the juice left on those things Katy”, he said after I reminded him of the warning. In the photo below you can see the first run through and the second. We also shot a little video to show you how it works.

The machine did get clogged and he had a heck of time getting the attachment off the machine but thankfully nothing broke. As he was cleaning I began to boil the raspberries on the stove. I threw in a few of the seeds sticks when he wasn’t looking. How can you have raspberry jam without seeds, right? I made two batches of jam. The first was just regular raspberry and second was Raspberry with Mint and Lavender. The touch of mint is amazing! The recipe below is from my favorite new canning book, Canning for a New Generation: Bold, Fresh Flavors for the Modern Pantry by Liana Krissoff.

Raspberry Jam with Mint and Lavender
Makes about 5 half-pint jars

1 pound of Granny Smith apples (about 4 small)
3 pounds raspberries, rinsed if necessary (about 10 cups)
2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons strained fresh lemon juice
Grated zest of 2 small lemons
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
2 tablespoons fresh lavender blossoms, or 2 teaspoons dried

Prepare for water-bath canning. Sterilize the jars and keep them hot in a canning pot, put a small plate in the freezer, and put the flat lids in a heat-proof bowl.

Quarter and core the apples, reserving the cores and seeds. Put as many of the apple trimmings in a jelly bag or 4 layers of cheesecloth as will fit, and tie the bag closed.

Put the raspberries and sugar in a wide, 6- to 8-quart preserving pan. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Add the apples and the bag with the trimmings, along with the lemon juice and zest. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook, stirring frequently to prevent it from sticking, until a small dab of the jam spooned on the chilled plate and returned to the freezer for a minute becomes somewhat firm (it will not gel), 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in the mint and lavender and cook for one minute. Remove from the heat and stir gently for a few seconds to distribute the fruit in the liquid. Remove the bag and the apples.

Ladle the boiling water from the canning pot into the bowl with the lids. Using a jar lifter, remove the sterilized jars from the canning pot, carefully pouring the water from each one back into the pot, and place them upright on a folded towel. Drain the water off the jar lids.

Ladle the hot jelly into the jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace at the the top. Use a damp paper towel to wipe the rims of the jars, then put a flat lid and ring on each of the jars, adjusting the ring so that just finger-tight. Return the jars to to the water in the canning pot. Bring to a boil, and boil for 5 minutes to process. Remove the jars to a folded towel and do not disturb for 12 hours.

Recipe as it appears in Canning for a New Generation: Bold, Fresh Flavors for the Modern Pantry by Liana Krissoff.

IMG 1559 Making Raspberry Jam with Mint and LavenderMaking jam together on Saturday afternoon.

Greg demonstrating how the attachment works.

removing seeds using kitchen aid attachment Making Raspberry Jam with Mint and LavenderFirst run through on the left and second time on the right.

DSC 7450 Making Raspberry Jam with Mint and LavenderRaspberries boiling in dutch oven with apple tied in cheese cloth.

DSC 7479 Making Raspberry Jam with Mint and LavenderFresh mint and lavender from garden.

DSC 7480 Making Raspberry Jam with Mint and LavenderMint and lavender chopped up for jam.

DSC 7465 Making Raspberry Jam with Mint and LavenderMason jars freshly sterilized and ready to be filled. Mr. Jack sits in the window watching the whole process.

DSC 7464 Making Raspberry Jam with Mint and LavenderFilling jars with jam using a funnel.

Recipe: Grapefruit and Meyer Lemon Marmalade
Making Strawberry Jam
Millions of Peaches, Peaches For Me

pixel Making Raspberry Jam with Mint and Lavender

Comments

17 Responses to “Making Raspberry Jam with Mint and Lavender”

1. mary
    July 19th, 2011 @ 1:52 pm

First of all, you are so adorable with that scarf on your head. Second, raspberry jam is a *must-make* for me this summer – it’s my husband’s favorite. I may have to try this recipe! Also, check out the Blue Chair Jam cookbook if you haven’t already. It’s gorgeous and the recipes are awesome.

July 19th, 2011 @ 2:04 pm

Fyi everyone! I typed out the wrong version of this recipe the first time. So if your reading this via RSS please refresh the post to make it with mint and lavender. Sorry guys!

3. erin
    July 19th, 2011 @ 2:27 pm

summer heroine award goes to you!

July 19th, 2011 @ 2:49 pm

ha! Thanks Erin! We gotta enjoy every bit of it while it lasts!

5. Steve
    July 19th, 2011 @ 5:01 pm

I was just talking to someone the other day about adding flower essences to jams. I was thinking of adding rose to your grapefruit and meyer lemon marmalade. Kind of like an Algerian cherbat/rose lemonade.

I don’t know where you kids get the energy.

Hello, Kitty.

6. Liz Noonan
    July 19th, 2011 @ 11:15 pm

Love the mint idea, I will def do that in my next batch! I have to say though, I like the seeds in jam, but I bet that de-seeder will come in super handy. Plus it’s like a grown up playdough toy. love it.

7. emilie
    July 20th, 2011 @ 8:04 am

That is just in time ; I found fresh raspberries in the wood yesterday and I’m overflowing with mint and lavender.

8. Patsy
    July 20th, 2011 @ 10:42 am

Yum! You should grow your own raspberries, they grow like crazy around here. They take over our yard, til we cut them back.

9. Interior design Guildford
    July 20th, 2011 @ 10:52 am

im going to try this i love raspberries and mint

10. Lynn @thevintagenest
    July 21st, 2011 @ 1:28 pm

I found your blog when I was looking for images of English cottages. go figure…but so glad I did…it’s charming. I only have wild blackberries around here to make jam and the deer got to them before I did. But I did go to the blue berry picking farm and picked tons. Froze them and just waiting for a chance to make something yummy with them….jam maybe? So nice to meet you and miles of smiles ~ Lynn

11. Anna
    July 22nd, 2011 @ 11:30 am

This looks like a great version of raspberry jam. I made a really simple one last week, but I want to make more so I will keep this in mind. Thanks!

12. Sjh
    July 22nd, 2011 @ 6:58 pm

I just finished making this and found your post. It’s the most amazing jam flavor – completely addictive!

13. erin * sparkle & hay
    July 26th, 2011 @ 10:57 pm

oh my goodness. i am positively drooling right now – 3 of my favorite flavors all in 1… this is amazing!!!

14. Rachel
    July 29th, 2011 @ 9:07 am

I <3 it!

15. London Cleaning
    August 1st, 2011 @ 7:23 am

Wonderful jam! It looks great! I love the combination with the mint,it will give a nice flavour to it, but I’m hesitating about the lavender it is really strong spice.

16. Ericka Taylor
    September 4th, 2011 @ 10:24 pm

Oh..I love this! I have been canning up lots of Strawberry Vanilla Jam! Canning & Jamming is super addictive :) The flavor combinations are endless!

17. office cleaning wimbledon, london
    September 10th, 2011 @ 12:19 pm

Excellent article. Mint, lavender and raspberries….yummee what could be better than that?