Spotted in Williamsburg

Posted on | May 17, 2011 | 13 Comments

Portmanteau

I’m in New York this week for a blogging conference and thought it would be fun to share a few things I’ve spotted. First up, a few stores I popped into in Williamsburg, Brooklyn on Saturday. Above a really cute 1950’s ticking stripe tufted settee spotted at Portmanteau. I’m not a huge fan of the wood finish but the petite shape—measuring 39.5 inches wide—gave me hope that I can find a comfortable and cute piece for my someday library. Maybe the settee could work in your house?

At Sprout Home I oogled their plants and accessories. I have my eye out for cool and affordable outdoor boxes—my boxwoods are coming out of the front garden and going into planters. A beautiful Oxalis plant and succulents caught my eye too.

So this is funny…While I was out Sprout Home I snapped a photo and posted it to my facebook fan page. Christine Foley the owner of Moon River Chattel left this comment:
Hey!!! You’re on my block. I’m heading into my back yard right now to plant groundcovers I bought there this a.m. Come say hi , back of Moon River Chattel.

I was totally blown away when I got the message. Crazy internet/instant connection world we live in, right? Love it. Christine is awesome! We swapped renovation stories and had a good laugh about the gross things you find in the walls when your renovate old buildings aka the rat. It was so nice to meet her and check out her beautiful store Moon River Chattel. A peek inside below.

Sprout Home

Moon River Chattel

Small Scale Sofas
Linen, Mens Suiting, and Dress Shirt Fabric in New York
Fishs Eddy in New York

Comments

13 Responses to “Spotted in Williamsburg”

1. emerson merrick
    May 17th, 2011 @ 10:08 pm

Wooah, that’s some serious worlds colliding right there. Happy you two connected!

2. Ashley
    May 18th, 2011 @ 10:00 am

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time, Katy! Love the settee idea!

3. Susan
    May 18th, 2011 @ 10:03 am

So cool…love our connected world!

4. karin
    May 18th, 2011 @ 2:32 pm

where did you spot those wooden planter boxes? they are exactly what i am lookig for.

5. Wendy
    May 18th, 2011 @ 3:06 pm

Here’s a sofa for $1,500.00 on sale from Restoration Hardware. Very french!

6. mydesignchic
    May 18th, 2011 @ 3:45 pm

So glad you’re having fun…adore the settee!!

7. mopar
    May 18th, 2011 @ 6:15 pm

Hey, you’re covering all my favorite stores today. Love Moon River and Sprout. Also Brook Farm General Store, which is not too far away. Never been to Portmaneteau though. Thanks for the tip.

Karin, those wooden planter boxes are at Sprout Home on Grand St. in Brooklyn.

8. mopar
    May 18th, 2011 @ 6:18 pm

Oh, wait, I have been to Portmanteau. Yes, cute store. I like the settee!

May 19th, 2011 @ 8:29 am

Ug! Totally forgot to pop into Brook Farm!

Yes Karin, the wood planters are from Sprout Home. I couldn’t find them on their website but I’m sure you could call the store.

10. Karen
    May 19th, 2011 @ 8:40 am

Love that settee – how much was it, do you remember?

May 19th, 2011 @ 8:46 am

OH gosh I forgot to add it’s $1,200.

12. Karena
    May 21st, 2011 @ 5:41 pm

Katy I found you through my friend Linda! What a wonderful settee! Love it.

Yes isn’t social media amazing!

xoxo
    Karena

13. nanne
    May 21st, 2011 @ 6:33 pm

i’m a setee slut..love them. i have one that belonged to my husband’s grandparents and i just move it around the house when i get the itch to re-do things. settes are great, they can go anywhere.

wendy–small world, i just ordered that laurent bench yesterday!! :) in the sand, begian linen!

nanne in indiana by way of alabama