Searching for the Perfect Sofa

Posted on | May 11, 2011 | 22 Comments

den early may 2011 Searching for the Perfect SofaMy den in progress

I’ve been hinting about a sofas for my den but realized I haven’t shared any inspiration. We are still painting the den. Check out a little peek of the room in progress above. I love that we choose green for the molding and cream for the walls and not vice versa. I would like to put a sofa on this wall but it has to be small. A 72″ sofa would be perfect and not overwhelm the space.

I was cruising around this morning looking for curtain inspiration when I came across the below room by UK designer Max Rollit on Simple + Pretty’s blog. OMG gorgeous! Love the walls, furnishings and that sofa! The Katzic sofa in a beautiful yellow is by Rollit and inspired by a antique piece similar to this one. Note the antique sofa is referenced as an English George III Settee. Hold that thought…

John Derian’s Cove and Geranium sofas have really similar lines to the Katzic sofa from Rollit. Derian references his inspiration from the American Sheraton and Hepplewhite styles. So what came first the George Settee or the American version? I assume The George settee and then the American version was later inspired by the style?

So all these sofas would work in my space but they’re all really expensive. The den is on our second floor and two bedrooms are behind it. I can’t choose a piece that is so over the top that I resort to plastic on the furniture. This shape is perfect but I need to keep looking and hopefully score a vintage knock off. Have I set myself up for something completely unachievable on a budget?

benpentreathriba Searching for the Perfect SofaRIBA exhibition
max rollitt interior Searching for the Perfect SofaInterior from Max Rollitt
max rollitt katzsic sofa Searching for the Perfect SofaKatzsic Sofa from Max Rollitt
george III settee circa 1795 Searching for the Perfect SofaGeorge III Settee circa 1795 from Max Rollitt
john derian cove sofa Searching for the Perfect SofaCove Sofa from John Derian

geranium sofa lrg Searching for the Perfect SofaGeranium Sofa from John Derian

Small Scale Sofas
Striped Sofa in Green Room

pixel Searching for the Perfect Sofa

Comments

22 Responses to “Searching for the Perfect Sofa”

May 11th, 2011 @ 11:42 am

I love all of these! I think it should be an achievable goal, though I wouldn’t rule out custom either, which can be more affordable than you might suspect!

2. Beth Davis
    May 11th, 2011 @ 12:22 pm

Looks like you are making great progress! Your sofa post reminded me that I meant to let you know that I actually own the Lee Industries loveseat that you spoke of in your “small scale sofa” post. All of our furniture was very diminutive in our last house, a teeny tiny bungalow. Now we live in a larger scale home and if you’re interested in that loveseat you’re welcome to come take a look — right up the line (or across the water) in Manchester. It is upholstered in a beautiful cream textured fabric AND I also have a beige ticking stripe slipcover for it (two different looks). It’s in great condition, quite new. Just let me know!

May 11th, 2011 @ 12:26 pm

The smaller sofas I was looking at for the little room aka library just next to this one. I do want the shapes to relate. I might take you up on that offer to check out your sofa Beth!

4. lynda
    May 11th, 2011 @ 2:08 pm

not exactly what you are looking for but take a look may be a bit bigger and too curvy for your needs but great price and still some $ to upholster.

5. redbrickbuilding
    May 11th, 2011 @ 2:24 pm

I agree that they’re pretty, but they don’t look comfy to me. Maybe you want to perch rather than lounge? I’m definitely a lounger. I went to Brimfield yesterday and found good stuff. Maybe you want to take a look there for a vintage/antique version?

May 11th, 2011 @ 2:27 pm

Hi Lynda!

Good find. I have a very similar sofa my mom gave me. It’s going on the first floor in our family room!

May 11th, 2011 @ 2:30 pm

I’m not a huge lounger. And I plan to put some kind of soft ottoman in front of it. I love curling up in high arms and loose pillows rather then larger back cushions.

No tv in this room. It will be a reading, talking and roaring fire kinda space.

8. Susan
    May 11th, 2011 @ 7:24 pm

I love them all, tough choice…but an ottoman in front is perfect. I always do that, it makes so much sense.

9. Ellen Spencer
    May 12th, 2011 @ 12:02 pm

Love the John Derian sofas; the others don’t look very comfortable to me. Have you looked into upholstered pieces from Lillian August?

10. Tokyo Jinja
    May 14th, 2011 @ 9:29 am

Katy-
    I have the Cove sofa from John Derian. It is amazingly comfortable and it wastes none of its seating depth and length by having a thin back and narrow arms. Throw pillows are not in the way when you sit down, do you know what I mean? I got mine for a great deal through Wildflower Organics in Texas. Take a look, or better yet, give them a call. It is the perfect piece for a historic house! Oh, and the Geranium is nowhere near as comfy…

11. Vic
    May 15th, 2011 @ 12:33 am

Hi: Been following you for some time, but this is my first posting on your site.

Considering the size and motif of the room/house, I should think something akin to the George III Settee would be in perfect taste (less trendy than the others you show here). With the high sides, it looks both period and very inviting for this room. I’m with the first response of Jane – you might consider having a local craftsman make this for you, if it’s so important and central to the room (which I believe it is). I shouldn’t think it would be much different in price, and might even be less.

12. lisa
    May 15th, 2011 @ 8:57 am

love your sofa choices. not too sure about that yellow with your lovely green room. i was envisioning an old/worn red asian carpet and now there might be too much clash with the butter. have you created something unachievable? no way! look to worldofinteriors for inspiration. try a little less polish and perfection…

13. Renata
    May 15th, 2011 @ 10:33 pm

I saw this and thought of your quest…

14. Wendy
    May 16th, 2011 @ 11:19 am

The “Ditte” sofa from Anthropologie resembles these as well. Also pricey.

15. Kat
    May 17th, 2011 @ 6:16 pm

I love that you’re keeping with the simple lines of the room in your selections.
    Thought of Mid Century or Modern for the sofa?
    Have you seen this on 1st Dibs? (It’s in Boston!)
    Purple with Green-Very Wimbleton

16. Justine Hand
    June 13th, 2011 @ 11:42 am

I like the yellow. Would be gorgeous against the gray.

17. Anonymous
    July 15th, 2011 @ 10:00 pm

you should go for the cisco abc one—-the interesting tufted one you blogged about a year ago–it would be perfect and they are selling floor models super cheap!

July 16th, 2011 @ 9:35 am

Thanks. That was a beauty but out of my price range right now. I like the boxy sofas and hoping I score one vintage this summer!

19. Judith
    January 21st, 2012 @ 1:18 pm

There is a sofa you may like!! It is quite similar to the Max
    Roillett sofa. it has been recently slipcovered. It is on consignment and on its FINAL markdown price.

You may view it at: http://www.furnitureconsignment.com

Go to Hanover store inventory, sofas and chairs. and scroll down. price now, $1.399.00!!!

I do not need it, but love it! Nice fabric not yellow but pillows could be added, deleted. I think it is special!

January 21st, 2012 @ 3:36 pm

That’s a good one. Thanks Judith for the tip! All kinds of fun finds on the site too!

21. Anonymous
    June 15th, 2012 @ 6:38 am

Shame your not in England . Never go to George Smith ….sofa.com is much more affordable.

Y

22. e cigaret væske
    November 16th, 2012 @ 6:00 am

Hi my family member! I want to say that this article is amazing, nice written and come with approximately all important infos. I¡¦d like to look more posts like this .