Peek: Green Paint on Molding

Posted on | March 28, 2011 | 28 Comments

Over the weekend I painted my test wall and started painting the molding Verte De Terre. I had a minor freak out Saturday night that the molding color was too green. The scene was a bit dramatic followed by me scouring all my inspiration books and convincing myself I should I have picked, French Gray, because every room I adore used it. The reason why I didn’t go with French Gray was because I was afraid it would be too gray and not enough green.

Morning came and I came down the stairs and viola; I loved it again. I’m seriously crazy, right? After spending so many months brainstorming paint colors I felt like I failed when at first I didn’t like the color in the dark. I know, totally silly. I’m back to painting and here’s a peek from Monday morning.

The painting is slow going. The walls have been painted James White, love. I filled the gaps and crumbling plaster in the corners using Plaster of Paris, which worked out great. I’m painting the molding detail with a toothbrush and then dry brushing over the top. I’m trying to be super careful not to gunk it up after we spent so many months removing paint and sanding. Stay tuned for more…

Priming Walls and Molding in Den
Paint Ordered, Wood Sanded
Elegant Green Paneled Molding

Comments

28 Responses to “Peek: Green Paint on Molding”

March 28th, 2011 @ 1:25 pm

It’s going to be so beautiful! It’s only natural to have panic attacks, but you really did your research and took your time, so you should trust your own decisions!! It’s stunning Katy!

2. Caroline
    March 28th, 2011 @ 1:46 pm

I have been following your blog for a while and was waiting to see paint on the walls (not as anxiously as you, I suppose). It looks great … and being undecisively picky just shows you care. Well done!

3. Crystal @ Plush Palate
    March 28th, 2011 @ 1:46 pm

This is getting me so excited to start painting my new SF home next week. I was going to hire the job out, but after seeing this pic, doing it myself kinda sounds like fun! :)

4. Ashley
    March 28th, 2011 @ 2:04 pm

Oh, it looks wonderful, Katy!! It must be so satisfying seeing the room come together like this, and seeing how your hard work is paying off! The room is lovely and will only continue to grow lovelier with every new addition you add.

5. Ashley
    March 28th, 2011 @ 2:07 pm

Oh, Katy, the paint color looks so pretty! All of your hard work is really paying off! The room looks lovely as is, and will only grow lovelier as you continue to work on it.

6. Lynne Culp
    March 28th, 2011 @ 2:41 pm

This color will be so subtle and beautiful with furniture and objects in the room. BTW I love reading your blog, and even though I don’t do this work like I used to, I remember it well…and empathize.

7. Mom
    March 28th, 2011 @ 3:04 pm

Katy, its perfect!!

8. kate
    March 28th, 2011 @ 3:29 pm

so happy to have found your blog. the paint color is beautiful! can’t wait to see more. :)

9. mary
    March 28th, 2011 @ 3:33 pm

It looks absolutely gorgeous! Wow.

10. Karina
    March 28th, 2011 @ 3:39 pm

Katy,
    The colour looks lovely!! I can’t wait to see the next stage and the furniture and so on. I have been following your progress for a while now and admire your patience and attention to detail.
    My environment is so different ( a Victorian terrace in London) but maybe that is why I love your blog so much.
    Keep going!
    Karina

11. Monica Dunkley
    March 28th, 2011 @ 4:07 pm

looking gooooood!!

12. Liz
    March 28th, 2011 @ 5:03 pm

love it, and totally motivated by it! i just, finally, yesterday finished scraping the layers of wallpaper and paint off my little hallway and now must damp-wipe the walls and spackle spackle spackle. and then: paint! this is making me wonder if i didn’t make a mistake picking light blue instead of a sober grey-green. hmmm!

13. Agnes
    March 28th, 2011 @ 6:37 pm

It looks great Katy – that pinkish paper and blue tape change the context of the colour – you’ll love it when it’s done – it’s beautifully complex and moody

March 28th, 2011 @ 6:38 pm

Thanks everyone for all your wonderful sweet comments. I can’t wait to paint the mantel!

15. S@sha
    March 28th, 2011 @ 9:33 pm

It looks beautiful. Can’t wait to see it as you add furniture, rugs, art, etc.

16. Celia
    March 28th, 2011 @ 9:47 pm

Love it!!!

17. christina
    March 28th, 2011 @ 10:12 pm

It looks beautiful!!! I totally understand though – its so hard to tell with lighting and we paint what the true color is going to be until its dried, etc. Totally reasonable to freak out while its wet. I once went for a Ralph Lauren royal blue – when it went on i freaked – it must have changed 4 shades in the drying process and was completely different a morning (and a thousand sobs) later. It looks amazing though -can’t wait to see the final project. Congrats!

18. Josephine
    March 28th, 2011 @ 11:35 pm

I think it’s perfect and looks amazing! I love it! The molding is so unique and the Verte De Terre really sets it off.

Maybe you could use the French Gray in another room?

19. Brad
    March 29th, 2011 @ 1:19 am

We are all seeing slightly different versions of the color, our monitors are all slightly different… on my screen the gray green is FANTASTIC. But I think you might want to test that French Vanilla yellow-white you posted way back, before you commit. The two together, especially at night, might be overpoweringly rich… like one of those desserts you’re always teasing us with.

I always like the room to recede, and let the objects in it warm it up. The pale green gray of the bar in this comment section of your blog is very tasteful… even more so are the text fields. With white mattes on your artwork, hanging on the light/light moss gray, the pictures will really pop. Cannot wait to see the finished product! I am sure whatever you decide will be smashing….

20. karen cheung
    March 29th, 2011 @ 4:24 am

Hi Katy. I know what you mean about Vert de Terre. Not only does it dry a different colour from wet, but it also changes hue according to the lighting. I have used it before and I think it’s a beautiful colour. We have just bought a Georgian farmhouse (last week!) and will be renovating it so this post makes me very excited about the choices I will make for my new house. Yours looks fabulous – I just hope I have your patience when it comes to taking the time to make the right decision!

21. Mary
    March 29th, 2011 @ 1:10 pm

Looks beautiful! Good on you for having such patience to do it right.

22. Amanda
    March 29th, 2011 @ 2:36 pm

I’m so excited to see this room coming together now. The colour is lovely and will look so elegant and airy when the room is dressed. well done!

23. Kit Mitchell
    March 29th, 2011 @ 3:41 pm

After painting a king sized spool bed in Farrow and Ball’s French Gray, I had the same flash of sudden regret, but the next morning, I loved it again. I had a good chuckle reading your post. It looks great! By the way, French Gray does look quite gray at times. You made a beautiful choice.
    Enjoy your new room.
    Cheers,
    kit

24. mopar
    March 29th, 2011 @ 10:51 pm

Of course, it looks completely gorgeous and perfect. I love the care you are taking with the plaster, tape, brush, etc.

25. Susan
    March 30th, 2011 @ 3:34 pm

I LOVE it Katy, it turned out great!! See, all of our turmoil and indecision pays off in the end…I am loving ours as well. I love the Light Gray I chose so much I’m thinking of using it in the kitchen too…hmm.

26. Emma at The Marion House Book
    March 30th, 2011 @ 9:41 pm

You had me at toothbrush! That’s real house love.

27. Steve
    April 3rd, 2011 @ 7:28 am

Katy and Greg,
    Your prep work really paid off. It looks beautiful! I love James White and I think it’s the perfect choice. To my eye it’s got a gray-green undertone that works well with the trim color. Those colors will also be the perfect complement to the floors when they’re refinished.

28. heidi
    April 28th, 2011 @ 9:24 am

You’re my saviour! I just moved into an old, 1865 colonial in Virginia and I have wall problems. I’m going to try the plaster of paris and see what it can do!