Boston Flower & Garden Show: Part I

Posted on | March 22, 2011 | 9 Comments

DSC 5544 Boston Flower & Garden Show: Part I

Greg and I went to the Boston Flower & Garden show on Saturday afternoon which probably wasn’t the best time of day to attend. I have a low tolerance for crowded spaces; we checked out the main landscape displays but skipped the retail booths.

Peter R. Sadeck’s display won Best In Show. A beautiful wood slice path wound through a landscape of mossy tree stumps, rocks and ferns. The indoor landscape was completely convincing and had me wondering if we had been suddenly transported the woods of New Hampshire. Beautiful owls, a turkey vulture and a falcon sat peacefully perched on tree stumps; surprising the crowd when they suddenly moved. The owl above was my favorite, so freakin cute!

In 2008, I spotted a similar walkway at Portland’s Flower Show designed by Landmarcs. Am I sensing a wood slice trend? Sadeck’s slices were much larger, thicker, and looked like they were laid using dirt and moss. Both examples are stunning and would be amazing paths for a garden in the woods.

DSC 5550 Boston Flower & Garden Show: Part I
DSC 5524 Boston Flower & Garden Show: Part I
DSC 5527 Boston Flower & Garden Show: Part I
DSC 5547 Boston Flower & Garden Show: Part I
DSC 5541 Boston Flower & Garden Show: Part I
DSC 5534 Boston Flower & Garden Show: Part I
DSC 5533 Boston Flower & Garden Show: Part I

Portland Flower Show: Wood Slice Walkway
Gray Rock Garden Paths
Salem Garden Club Tour

pixel Boston Flower & Garden Show: Part I

Comments

9 Responses to “Boston Flower & Garden Show: Part I”

March 22nd, 2011 @ 12:58 pm

Gorgeous! I adore the owl too.

2. redbrickbuilding
    March 22nd, 2011 @ 3:17 pm

We went on Saturday around noon and the crowds were awful. Not just lots of people but lots of unbelievably slow-moving/randomly-stopping-and-blocking-an-entire-aisle people. We were hoping to find some tradespeople who could help us with our roof garden and might have found one company to do the irrigation system. I don’t think you missed anything by skipping the retail area: giant sea of tchotchkes, most without even the most tangential connection to flowers or gardens. Honestly, the owls were the highlight for me. Can’t believe we spent nearly 60 bucks to attend, including the parking. Sorry to be so negative. I went once about 7 years ago and it was pretty bad then. Thought I’d give it a second chance. Oops!

3. G
    March 22nd, 2011 @ 4:10 pm

They did have a seafood convention across the highway. We went there first by mistake, and there was a vinyasa yoga convention at the other end of the WT building. We went there second by mistake, then finally we found the garden convention and it was packed but the displays were nice to look at. At the seafood convention everyone was rolling in big coolers of beer, and the yoga convention had lots of couches and people lounging around, put all 3 conventions together and it would have been pretty good. All the grandmas at the garden show would have busted out some yoga moves after a liquid lunch.

March 22nd, 2011 @ 4:28 pm

lol G. It was a bit too expensive. We made a day out of it going to beacon hill after and then out for a dinner, which made it worth it.

I hear the owls validated your parking. :)

5. G
    March 22nd, 2011 @ 4:31 pm

katy – you stole my joke! and left off the punch-line.

I heard the Owl was validating parking – It didn’t matter ‘who’ you were, ‘owl’ you had to do was ask.

6. Amy Meier
    March 23rd, 2011 @ 11:16 am

WOW! What an amazing space he created! Your images are gorgeous. Wish I could have attended this show. Thank you for sharing.

7. Pam
    March 23rd, 2011 @ 1:18 pm

What a cute owl! I love the woodland setting with the mosses and wood path. I wish I could have a woodland garden. It looks so peaceful. :-)

-Pam

8. Marla Isaac
    March 29th, 2011 @ 10:42 pm

Great pictures of my birds yes its me the falconer could I get a copy of these pictures for my web site.
    Marla

9. Ruth
    March 30th, 2011 @ 6:57 pm

We went on the Wednesday, not so crowded. I also took pictures of this walkway, I want to do this pathway in my backyard I thought it was incredible. Also, the treehouse at the exhibit as you walked in the door was amazing.