Recipe: Grapefruit and Meyer Lemon Marmalade

Posted on | February 14, 2011 | 14 Comments

Happy Valentine’s Day! Yesterday afternoon Greg and I made Grapefruit and Meyer Lemon Marmalade to go with blueberry sconces for v-day breakfast. I’ve been dying to making meyer lemon anything for years but I always seem to miss my the small window of opportunity—they’re only available in the winter. This recipe comes via an oldie but goodie New York Times interview with June Taylor. She makes delicious organic jams without pectin using heirloom plants and vegetables. You can purchase all her jams including this one on her website: junetaylorjams.com.

I love this marmalade it’s bright, tart from the grapefruit and citrusy—definitely perfect for this long New England winter we are experiencing. It’s yummy with blueberry sconces but I’m imagining it might be nice with fish, pork or between a nice fluffy yellow cake! Below the recipe and photos.

Update: I used the marmalade I made on Valentine’s day to make springtime Meyer Lemon Panna Cotta in jam jars. So delicious, bright and yummy!

Adapted from June Taylor

Grapefruit and Meyer Lemon Marmalade
5 pounds grapefruit, rinsed (I used 6 grapefruits)
5 Meyer lemons or small regular lemons, rinsed (I used Meyer lemons)
1/2 cup lemon juice (from 2 to 3 additional lemons)
2 1/2 pounds sugar

Remove the grapefruit skin with a vegetable peeler. Cut the peel into 1/8-inch slivers; stop when you have 3/4 cup. Discard the rest. Slice off the ends of the grapefruit and the remaining grapefruit peel and pith. (I cut in half and removed the segments like I was going to eat it for breakfast—I found this to be much easier to get the fruit away from the membrane) Remove grapefruit segments, reserving membrane. Stop when you have 5 cups of segments.

Cut the ends off the Meyer lemons, deep enough so you can see the flesh. Leaving the peel on, remove the segments of lemon and reserve the membrane. Cut the segments crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces. (I removed most of the flesh and reserved about 3/4 of cup for the jam.)Put membranes from the grapefruit and Meyer lemons in a jelly bag (I had to look this up. Means: wrap membranes in cheesecloth) and tie closed.

In a wide and deep pot, combine the grapefruit segments, grapefruit peel, lemon pieces and jelly bag. Add lemon juice and 2 1/2 cups water. Simmer until the grapefruit peel is tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool.

Preheat the oven to 225 degrees. (I used a canner and did a regular water bath) Working over a bowl in your sink, squeeze the liquid from the jelly bag; keep squeezing and wringing it out until you extract 1/3 to 1/2 cup of pectin. Add pectin and sugar to the pot. Place over high heat and boil, stirring now and then, until marmalade is between 222 and 225 degrees and passes the plate test. (Spoon a little onto a plate and put in the fridge for 3 minutes. If it thickens like jam, it is done.)

Meanwhile, put 6 sterilized 8-ounce canning jars and lids on a baking sheet and place in the oven. When jam is done, remove jars from the oven. Ladle jam into the jars, filling them as high as possible. Wipe the rims. Fasten the lid tightly. Let cool. If you don’t get a vacuum seal, refrigerate the jam. Makes 6 8-ounce jars of marmalade.

Springtime Grapefruit Meyer Lemon Panna Cotta in jam jars. Get the recipe.

Grapefruits Meyer Lemon Panna Cotta
Making Strawberry Jam
Making Dill Pickles

Comments

14 Responses to “Recipe: Grapefruit and Meyer Lemon Marmalade”

1. S@sha
    February 14th, 2011 @ 12:00 pm

Yum, looks good. I made marmalade for the first time back in December when I was out in California visiting friends and they were wondering what to do with the glut of citrus fruit starting to ripen around their new rental house. Its so much better than store bought marmalade that its going to have to become a yearly tradition. I’m going to go eat some now.

2. liane
    February 14th, 2011 @ 12:03 pm

thanks katy! i will look for meyer lemons next time i’m out so i can try this recipe. yum.

3. Kit Mitchell
    February 14th, 2011 @ 2:55 pm

Wow! That looks so absolutely delicious!

4. Sally Mae
    February 14th, 2011 @ 4:35 pm

Oooooh! Those scones looke amazing too! I just realized I have a few bags of frozen summer blueberries in my freezer – I can’t beleive they’ve lasted this long. I was leaning towards a cobbler, but now the scones are winning out;)

5. Christie Chase
    February 15th, 2011 @ 9:31 am

Now I know exactly what I’m going to make with my Meyer lemon tree’s next harvest (this year I got three lemons). If you have a good recipe for those yummy looking blueberry scones, please share it sometime.

February 15th, 2011 @ 10:09 am

Thanks Christie! Here is the recipe for the sconces (sorry forgot to share before) http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/blueberry-scones

7. Karina
    February 15th, 2011 @ 5:02 pm

Hi Katy
    This looks so delicious! I have tried many of your recipes before but I am lost with “Meyer lemons”. I guess they don’t exist in the UK. Will normal lemons do?

February 15th, 2011 @ 5:09 pm

Hi Karina!

I just started seeing Meyer Lemons in my grocery store. Might want to try a fancy shop?

Or the recipe says you can use regular lemons which I am sure would be just as lovely.

9. erika
    February 15th, 2011 @ 10:43 pm

This looks amazing! I am going to post about it!

Have been following your work for some time and am a huge fan. Thanks for everything.

erika

10. Barbara
    February 16th, 2011 @ 9:30 am

Oh la la! That marmalade looks divine and I bet it’s too good with blueberry scones… on my way to the grocery store in search of Meyer lemons! Thanks for the recipe!

11. Mary
    February 16th, 2011 @ 9:59 pm

Hi Katy, the marmalade looks delicious. That is an intersting fact about Meyer lemons that I did not know. I just bought some yesterday. I have never seen them in the store before, so I bought them. I had found a recipe for a crepe cake that uses Meyer lemon curd so when I saw them I grabbed them. Do you think I could can the curd? Because I wanted to try the recipe out and possibly make it later for a dessert. But that won’t be possible if I can’t find the lemons. Any advice? I can tell you where to find the recipe or give it to you in return for advice. Thanks!

February 16th, 2011 @ 10:23 pm

Hi Mary!

I’ve never made lemon curd. But lemon is often used in canning. It seems to be a really common question online. I have a few canning books I can take a peek into but for now see below.

With a quick google search I found these blogs that made lemon curd that was canned:

13. Mary
    February 17th, 2011 @ 5:17 pm

Katy,
    Thank you so much! I have always wanted to can lemon curd as it is my favorite. Now I can. Of course, even if you couldn’t give me any advice, I would give you the recipe I found. I was just kidding. Here is the link:

Hope you get a chance to make it! Thanks again!

14. Kayla @ Exquisite Banana
    February 20th, 2011 @ 10:36 pm

I just saw bags of Meyer lemons at my local whole foods. If they’re still there this weekend, I’m going to pick up a sack and give this a whirl. looks scrumptious!