Inspiration from Mt. Washington Hotel

Posted on | February 1, 2011 | 14 Comments

This past week I’ve been talking with Greg about putting a light at the top of our stairwell—A few things have to happen before we can actually do this like maybe taking down the ceiling. He was totally against the idea of hanging a ceiling lamp and thought we should do sconces on the walls instead.

In the Rosebrook bar at the Mt. Washington hotel I looked up to find exactly the light I was trying to explain: the bell jar lantern. He really likes the style and how the glass reflects rings onto the ceiling. I’ve spotted a few similar versions at Pottery Barn, Circa Lighting, and Shades of Light but I’ll have to keep looking because it can’t be too big or long. Below a few more pieces from the hotel that we found inspiring.

Mt. Washington Hotel at Bretton Woods
Art of Americas Wing at MFA
Italian Gilt Pineapple Sconces

Comments

14 Responses to “Inspiration from Mt. Washington Hotel”

1. Laura.
    February 1st, 2011 @ 11:11 am

oh, cool! i love how it looks old and new at the same time–and those rings of light are really lively. i want one now!!

2. Kate
    February 1st, 2011 @ 11:31 am

I’ve been eyeing this one for my entry: http://www.csnlighting.com/Progress-Lighting-P3617-88-PG2268.html Maybe it would work in your space as well?

3. Andrea
    February 1st, 2011 @ 11:52 am

We searched for a long time to find one that was small enough for our stairway and upstairs hall. They are so “in” right now, but oftentimes sized for supersized houses, not old ones (like ours too). Found this one that is shaped like an acorn. The reflections are so beautiful! Lots of manufacturers make the traditional bell jars in smaller sizes too. This site has so many, and prices are pretty good too.

4. Ellen Spencer
    February 1st, 2011 @ 2:25 pm

For really nice reproductions of old lights in both the bell and pumpkin styles, I recommend Churchill & White on Charles Street in Boston. It’s a really nice antiques shop as well!

February 1st, 2011 @ 2:30 pm

Thanks everyone for the all the recommendations!

6. Steve
    February 1st, 2011 @ 3:16 pm

I REALLY love the pattern of light they cast on the ceiling. I wasn’t aware they did that.
    I’ve wanted to get a nice light for my upstairs hallway but with low ceilings, I’m concerned about getting furniture and building materials in and out…at least until everything is done.

It’s also really hard to find something that’s the right scale. The Circa lighting one seems to be a good size. Here’s one I found that also seems good. Comes in different finishes and plain or cut glass.

How are the ceilings coming? Can’t wait to see them!

7. Jennifer
    February 1st, 2011 @ 4:06 pm

I have a miniature version in my small front hall and my live and learn comment is make sure it has a glass/metal cover/top. I constantly have to clean bugs, dust, dirt out of the bell part. I thought it wouldn’t be a problem but it is. I got mine at the major lighting shop in Hampton Falls, NH. They have lots of sizes and historic looking. Also I live in Nbpt and there is a lighting shop (next to the Black Cow Restaurant) with beautiful ones but out of my price range ($700). Good luck!

8. moparbrownstoner
    February 1st, 2011 @ 7:16 pm

Seems perfect for your house. Adding one outlet to the ceiling shouldn’t be too difficult or expensive – if the ceiling is OK :) Especially if there is already a switch nearby.

9. G
    February 1st, 2011 @ 11:04 pm

and greg says, “what’s a sconces” ?

10. Allison
    February 4th, 2011 @ 1:22 pm

I love this style, and when we were redoing an old home 8 yrs ago we had this type of lighting in our front entry and living room (very open concept entry, dining, living room). They were not huge and we had very little budget, we got them on clearance at Home Depot for super cheap. Maybe not the route you were looking at, but maybe check it out (though it’s been a looong time)! They honestly looked just as nice of quality as PB.

11. Kay
    February 7th, 2011 @ 11:12 am

I’m renovating an 1838 house with my husband in Salem (MA) and have wanted a bell jar lantern for a long time–grappling with the same question, what’s the right scale for our dining room. Some beautiful repro ones in Cargo Unlimited in M’head, but 9″ and $500+. I finally took the plunge and ordered two of the lanterns from Shades of Light, the 12″ Greek key and the 10″ star, one looks great. A bit of a risk, as the return shipping on each one is around $50, but that was really the only way to see which would work. If you want to pop over and see them before I return the second one, I’d be happy to show you–funny that we’re thinking about the same thing at the same time!

February 10th, 2011 @ 1:56 pm

Thanks Kay! I sent you an e-mail but wow that return shipping makes it tough!

13. cecilia
    September 6th, 2011 @ 3:54 pm

Since this post was back in February, have you found your bell jar yet? If not, try Flemings in Cohasset. Some examples here: http://www.everythingin3s.com/2011/08/18/seeing-stars-pendant-lighting/

September 6th, 2011 @ 4:58 pm

Thanks for the tip Cecilia. I haven’t bought a lamp yet. I haven’t gotten to the project I need it for so I’ve been holding off. Flemings looks like a great store.