Wednesday Snowstorm

Posted on | January 12, 2011 | 17 Comments

It’s 6 pm on Wednesday and it’s still snowing. It’s been snowing here since I got up at 6 am. I shouldn’t complain this is New England and it’s indeed the middle of January. When the morning started I was super chipper; I got up earlier then I do most mornings, made bacon with my super beautiful araucana eggs—ya know because snow days call for extra special breakfasts. I got bundled up in long underwear, a wool sweater and my new Pip-Squeak Chapeau neckwarmer I scored on sale at French & Italian. I stepped out at 9 am fully embracing the gorgeous snowstorm.

I shoveled, snapped photos and made a little video. About a 1/2 hour later I got plowed in over my sidewalks and into my gardens. A kind neighbor snowblowed me out around noon (he said anything for a fellow sailor) followed by getting plowed in again at 1. I shoveled again at 3 and then at 5 I got completely plowed in again. I came into the house about a half hour ago stomping off the snow and yelling to Greg: Forget it! My shoveling is pointless! If someone gets caught out in the road because of a mega plow I’m not going to feel guilty! Honestly, I feel really guilty. The plows come barreling up my narrow street and I get really worried walkers won’t have any place to go.

My waistline was probably the only thing that benefited from all the shoveling I did today. I nibbled my way through half a pan of Peanut Butter Crispy Bars I made last night, whoops. Gosh they’re sinfully snow day delicious!

Snowy Monday
Snowy Weekend Snapshots
Recipe: Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars

Comments

17 Responses to “Wednesday Snowstorm”

1. Susan
    January 12th, 2011 @ 6:40 pm

Wow…incredible. I went for a long walk & took some shots of billy playing (more like posing) in the snow. Posting tomorrow…stay warm & enjoy the scenery!

2. ashley maureen
    January 12th, 2011 @ 6:52 pm

ohhhh, how i’m jealous of your snow! we only got about 2.5″ before it made its way up the coast. looks like a wonderful day… that second to last photo is beautiful. (and those pb bars? why have i never made them before!)

3. Gwendolyn
    January 12th, 2011 @ 7:12 pm

Great pics! I LOVE the one with the tree and the snow blurring the house..very spooky and beautiful. Oh New England..

4. erin, reading my tea leaves
    January 12th, 2011 @ 7:28 pm

lovely photos of the snowstorm. i’m feeling the shoveling in my arms tonight. hoping you’re inside and cozy now!

5. The Knit Chick
    January 12th, 2011 @ 7:41 pm

Where do you get araucana eggs? Whole Foods? I’m hoping to get some chickens for my back yard this summer! Martha Stewart here I come! :)

6. Josephine
    January 12th, 2011 @ 8:51 pm

I love the photo of the house that’s yellow with blue shutters. My monitor shows the shutters as more of a sage green. It reminds me of our house which the previous owners painted sort of a burnt pumpkin with kind of a dutch green shutter. The molding is khaki/taupe. It’s ok, I wouldn’t have picked it, but I love the house’s colors in the photo! Our house needs repainting anyway! Maybe if we went with a more subdued yellow and the right sage shutters we could still keep our khaki/taupe trim. Thanks!

January 12th, 2011 @ 11:02 pm

The Knit Chick!

I picked up the eggs at Shubie’s in marblehead. http://www.shubies.com/

January 12th, 2011 @ 11:03 pm

Josephine!

The house is a mustardy yellow with blue sagey shutters.

9. Martha
    January 13th, 2011 @ 1:13 am

Knock out gorgeous photos you took in the snow! I mean, really, they hail from postcards and such…

10. Jill
    January 13th, 2011 @ 1:59 am

You deserve those peanut butter bars! That is some cold looking weather. It looks scary and fun at the same time.

11. Patsy
    January 13th, 2011 @ 10:34 am

Love the photos! My husband works at The Trading Co.

12. Susan
    January 13th, 2011 @ 10:40 am

I understand there is pain involved with living with that much snow but, oh, it makes for some truly beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing :D

13. emily @ thirtyeight20
    January 13th, 2011 @ 1:47 pm

Great pictures–they’re slightly spooky in a way that I love. All that shoveling misery is not enviable, but I am a little jealous of your snow. Our winter here in Maryland has been so lackluster. We’ve gotten about 3 inches of snow total — the rest of the time it’s just been cold and dreary. Last year we got over 40 inches of snow, which came with its own set of problems, but boy was it a pretty winter!

I hope your new roof is working out for you, protecting your home from all your wintry weather!

14. christi
    January 13th, 2011 @ 10:33 pm

snow snow snow. how i wish we’d get some snow! enjoy the beauty and stay warm. and i’m pretty sure i’d have eaten that entire thing of crisps.

15. Laura.
    January 14th, 2011 @ 11:31 am

i really like that yellow house and the darkness in that top photo. snow days are great/annoying. as are plows.

16. Ginny
    January 15th, 2011 @ 9:05 am

Oh my gosh, that snow! In Virginia we keep missing out on the storms that end up in New England. It is stunning how austere everything looks after it snows up there. No wonder the puritans were so serious!

Beautiful pictures!

17. Alanna
    January 18th, 2011 @ 12:18 am

So beautiful! An ideal winter storm :)