Mt. Washington Hotel at Bretton Woods

Posted on | January 31, 2011 | 17 Comments

Over the weekend we embraced the snow and went skiing in northern New Hampshire. We stayed at the Bretton Arms which is an inn that is part of the Mt. Washington Hotel Resort. The hotel was built over a hundred years ago is one of the last surviving grand hotels in the United States. Back in the day visitors traveled by rail to the backcountry of New Hampshire for long vacations away from the city.

When I was a kid we lived in northern New Hampshire. My older sister took riding lessons at the hotel in the summer months—I was too little and was only allowed to take trail rides on special occasions. I spent hours staring up at the big white lady nestled in the mountains from the riding ring. It was the fanciest hotel I had ever seen.

Above and below snapshots from a twilight walk around the resort. An outdoor pool on the backside of the hotel was full of kids after a long day of skiing. The kids ran down a heated sidewalk, jumped into the steamy hot pool that looked out to view of the mountains, fancy indeed!

Mt. Washington Hotel
Route 302
Bretton Woods, New Hampshire
603-278-1000

Sage Farm Antiques
Shaker Village & Hard Drive Died
Labor Day Weekend At Rindge, NH Lake House

Comments

17 Responses to “Mt. Washington Hotel at Bretton Woods”

1. moparbrownstoner
    January 31st, 2011 @ 4:39 pm

This place looks amazing. How are the rooms? Brooklyn has so much snow it’s beginning to New Hampshire.

January 31st, 2011 @ 4:46 pm

I like the rooms at the Bretton Arms but it would nice to be in the main hotel because you can walk downstairs for dinner/drinks/swimming/ Staying at the inn we had to dress in 8 billion layers to walk up the hotel for drinks.

Believe me New York (i was there last sunday) and boston has more snow then northern NH.

3. Patsy
    January 31st, 2011 @ 5:00 pm

Love it there, one of my favorite places anywhere!! I’ve stayed at both the hotel and the inn and the rooms are equally nice at either, but as Katy points out, the main hotel has more amenities.

Although the inn has a bar and very excellent restaurant……….

January 31st, 2011 @ 5:06 pm

True Patsy! We had breakfast both saturday and sunday in the inn. Any place you stay is pretty awesome.

5. Kathy
    January 31st, 2011 @ 5:40 pm

Hi Katy,
    Did you have any “otherworldly” visitors during your stay? :) My sister and brother-in-law were there for a Bodie Fest (Bodie Miller)held by Swix Wax a few years ago and in the middle of the night the fan and overhead lights went on, then faded off. They were both just looking at each other like whoooooo…When she went back to work everyone was saying it’s supposed to be haunted in certain rooms. hmmmm.

January 31st, 2011 @ 5:47 pm

Nope Kathy no spooky guests. I’ve heard some rooms are haunted too but I lucked out. It was perfectly quiet with a few barks from the snowdogs in the morning.

7. Gabrielle
    January 31st, 2011 @ 6:31 pm

Looks really lovely up there! Makes me kind of miss winter – if only winter was all about sunny walks in the snow, ski trips, swims in outdoor heated swimming pools, outdoor firepits, and curling up to cups of coco..

8. Blakley Huntley
    January 31st, 2011 @ 8:58 pm

Gorgeous.

9. heather
    January 31st, 2011 @ 9:44 pm

oh the memories! I grew up in the Lake Winnipesaukee area and loved going up there in the winters. Jackson is my favorite. Looks like a blast.

10. Julie
    January 31st, 2011 @ 10:18 pm

SO much snow in MA this winter!! and more to come?! I don’t know where they are putting it all. Love your blog, I currently reside in Cambridge. Stay Warm!

Cheers! julie

11. Joel Bouckaert
    February 1st, 2011 @ 12:37 am

This property has just made our shortlist of hotels to visit in the very near-future. A lot of people vacation to get away from the snow. We live in a tropical environment and we travel to find it. And, this definitely fits the bill.

12. Meg
    February 1st, 2011 @ 8:57 am

Love this hotel! Every year we went Christmas shopping in North Conway and stopped at this hotel on our way back to Maine. The hotel always reminded me of the movie The Shining!

13. Susan
    February 1st, 2011 @ 10:19 am

Gorgeous! I grew up in Nashua and New Hampshire has a special place in my heart. I’ve always wanted to visit that hotel…it’s on my list! ;)

14. Rachel
    February 2nd, 2011 @ 5:21 am

First thought was The Shining….

15. erin
    February 2nd, 2011 @ 9:15 am

well, i this looks like a fantastic winter getaway. i love the blue tint to these photos, too!

16. Carmie of the Single Nester
    February 3rd, 2011 @ 7:08 pm

I’ve always wanted to visit this hotel.

17. Barbara
    February 23rd, 2011 @ 3:19 pm

What great photos! I love the blue winter twilight. It’s magical ; )