Making Popovers

Posted on | December 30, 2010 | 15 Comments

I baked a lot for the holidays but I saved my recipe for popovers till today. A popover is a light hollow roll made from a simple batter of egg, flour and milk. It’s insanely easy and the batter comes together within minutes. As the popover bakes steam causes them to puff up and “popover” the pan.

You’ll find popovers on menus all over New England. The popover is said to be an American invention derived from English Yorkshire Pudding. The insides have a custard silky texture and a slightly sweet bland taste. Traditionally they’re served in the morning with homemade jam or something more savory like leftover Christmas ham and sliced cheddar like I did for lunch. There is something about their blandness that goes great with meats.

Some will suggest using a special popover pan with tapered cups set apart to promote air circulation for the steam to make the rolls pop. I picked up a 6-cup version on amazon for $17; if I bought another one I would probably go for the 12. Having 12 come out of the oven at once would be perfect for a party or brunch. But if you don’t have a popover pan you can use a muffin tin too.

To achieve a real custard hollow texture my tip is to turn off the oven once the popovers finish baking. Crack open the oven door with a wooden spoon and allow them to cool in the pan for additional 10 minutes. I found if I removed them straight from the oven they would deflate quickly and be much denser.

Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart’s Baking Handbook.

Makes 12 popovers

6 large eggs
1 ½ cups of milk
1 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon salt
1 ½ tablespoons confectioners’ sugar

Preheat the oven to 425°F and grease the popover cups with unsalted butter. In a bowl, whisk together the milk and eggs. Add flour, salt, and sugar and whisk till the batter has a consistency of heavy cream. You’ll have some lumps left so don’t waste your time making the batter perfect.

Fill each prepared cup with about 5 tablespoons of batter. Bake until the popovers are fully puffed over the top, about 30 minutes. Turn the oven off and open the door slightly. Let cool in the oven for an additional 10 minutes. Remove and serve.

Homemade Peach Jam
Recipe: Brioche
Recipe: Real Maine Whoopie Pies

Comments

15 Responses to “Making Popovers”

1. Nataliya
    December 30th, 2010 @ 5:26 pm

wow, these look amazing! thank you for sharing. Can’t wait to make them.

2. Jill
    December 30th, 2010 @ 8:39 pm

They look so yummy! You have inspired me to give them
    a try. Thanx for the wooden spoon tip.

3. Jennifer
    December 30th, 2010 @ 10:02 pm

I’ve always wanted to make popovers-I think I need to give these a try!

4. chelsea
    December 30th, 2010 @ 11:35 pm

beautiful, katy! you really inspire me. i want to make these.

5. Heidi
    December 31st, 2010 @ 12:40 am

Beautiful Katy! These look delish! I can’t wait to try them tomorrow.

6. ctstyle
    December 31st, 2010 @ 8:23 am

Thanks for this post. Your popovers look fantastic! it never occurred to me to serve them for breakfast.

7. Wendy
    December 31st, 2010 @ 11:18 am

I found this in this morning’s feed and I’ve got the oven heating up and the batter ready right this moment. Hopefully it’ll work with a muffin tin.

Thanks for the recipe!

8. Alicia @ eco friendly homemaking
    December 31st, 2010 @ 11:19 am

These look wonderful. I had make some jams and jellies to give in some of my holiday baskets this year and we kept some to have for ourselves so I think some of them would be awesome on these!

December 31st, 2010 @ 11:22 am

Oh awesome Wendy; I’m sure they’ll be great. Happy New Year!

December 31st, 2010 @ 11:23 am

Alicia!
    I gave jams as part of everyone’s x-mas gifts this year too! Strawberry was my favorite. I wish I would have made 4 times as much!

11. Gina @ Temporary Nest
    January 1st, 2011 @ 6:52 pm

Instantly hungry! My sister-in-law made chive Yorkshire pudding on Christmas and they were AMAZING. And these look just as good if not better. I am definitely going to try this order. I also still want to try your apple cider donuts!! :) Thanks for sharing!! Happy New Year!!

12. Laura.
    January 3rd, 2011 @ 5:55 pm

i wrote this recipe down immediately and can’t wait to try them! popovers always remind me of little women, which is one of my favorite stories, in all its versions. . . . happy new year!

13. Bespoke Letterpress
    January 4th, 2011 @ 4:37 am

Oh this is my first introduction to pop overs – they look divine! Are they are little like the choux base of an eclair or profiterole?

14. Karen Graziani
    November 21st, 2011 @ 8:27 pm

I was thinking about this on 10/1 when you posted pictures of pumpkins over the door (my October 1 tradition as well!): Your posts always seem to be exactly what’s on my mind — I’m making popovers for Thanksgiving! It’s the first time we’ve hosted in a really long time and the first time in our house here (we live in Concord, MA). Thanks for the tips and pan recommendation!

15. Missi
    February 7th, 2012 @ 2:53 pm

I found your page while searching for whoopie pie recipes. I grew up in Maine, currently live in the desert :( where no one knows what a Whoopie Pie is. Many stores are starting to carry them but they taste terrible. While looking at your story (and recipe) from the day making whoopie pies I saw this page. I also grew up with popovers. My dad made them on Sundays or holidays for breakfast. I have to say I have never heard of putting sugar in them though. I have heard of salt though we didn’t use it in ours. It was simple 2 eggs, 1 c flour and 1 c milk. I am so happy to see this page, thank you for sharing some of the wonders of New England!