Rake, Fascia and Wood Gutters

Posted on | November 21, 2010 | 7 Comments

Over the past week we’ve had carpenters here replacing rotten rake boards, fascia and wood gutters. The gutters were so badly rotten the rain literally washed right through them and made the whole back of my house moldy, so charming. Wood gutters are required in our historic district and all our trim has to be wood. The trim made from cedar is naturally bug repellent and lasts longer then less expensive pine. Composite trims are really common in modern construction but not allowed in my historic district.

Above and below photos of the renovation work in progress. All of the old trim has to be replaced; nothing has been salvageable. Scaffolding has been set up on the side of my house to help hang the new rake boards.

I’m using carpenters to do all of the woodwork and roofers for the roof. I received a lot of great e-mails from readers suggesting I use separate tradesmen for each job based on their own renovation experience. The amount of trim work I’ve needed is not typical of a normal roofing job so using a team of carpenters has been essential. I found Regatta Construction through my roofer and they’ve been great. Everyone has been nice, easy to work with and has taken the time to work with me to cut costs. I would totally recommend.

Next week we’ll hopefully get a gutter added to the front of our house. Yay! No more ice puddles on my front step for me to slip on! Stay tuned…

Regatta Construction
50 Jersey Street
Marblehead, Ma
Christian Tosi
(617) 894-5661

Architecture: Beverly Jog
Newspaper Insulation
We’re Going With A Charcoal Roof

Comments

7 Responses to “Rake, Fascia and Wood Gutters”

1. Susan
    November 21st, 2010 @ 5:21 pm

Wow…wood gutters. Looking good so far, that is a lot of work. I’m glad you found good people, that makes all the difference.

2. evencleveland
    November 21st, 2010 @ 7:05 pm

Whoa – they are flying right along. Those wood gutters are fascinating.

I’m so happy that this winter you guys will have a new, snug roof overhead!

3. Patsy
    November 22nd, 2010 @ 10:24 am

So exciting to see the progress!

4. moparbrownstoner
    November 22nd, 2010 @ 1:10 pm

Congratulations. This must feel so good.

5. Wendy
    November 22nd, 2010 @ 1:31 pm

Progress! This is a huge job to get behind you. I’m so glad that things are moving forward for you and I hope you get to enjoy a cozy (and dry) holiday season with a wood burning fireplace!

6. Gina
    November 26th, 2010 @ 10:49 am

Congratulations from Stacey Street! Just when I was feeling despondent about my own roof and gutter problems, I see hope. Can wait to walk by and see how things progress. Some day it will be me! PS I love wood gutters. Weird, huh?

7. Catherine Dunne
    December 4th, 2010 @ 2:18 pm

I wish I would have read this post before I allowed my roofers to take off and replace the cedar shingles on the dormer of my c.1908 house They broke a (102 yr old wavy glass) window and splintered trim, then “repaired” it without telling me. Everything needs to be redone, -including the shingles that were not installed properly-glad you found good advise and god people for your project

8. Catherine Dunne