My Thanksgiving Table

Posted on | November 22, 2010 | 18 Comments

When I was growing up we always had Thanksgiving at my great grandparents farm in Maine. Generations of women would gather in the kitchen making homemade rolls, fresh kielbasa, and stuffing so rich we now refer to it as “stomach stuffing” —it sticks to your ribs and gives you a bit of a bellyache.

Our family farm was sold and now Thanksgiving usually takes place at my house or my older sister’s. This year it’s just going to be Greg and I. Everyone has been really busy with work and we all agreed a day of sleeping late and hanging out in our pjs sounds like way more fun then sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. Our house looks like a bomb went off with house renovations projects going on in just about every room. I couldn’t be more thankful that I don’t have to clean the house from top to bottom to make it presentable for guests.

I haven’t even thought about what I’m going to cook which is a bit unlike me. I’ll probably head to the grocery story tonight to pick up a fresh turkey, some veggies and a loaf of bread to make stuffing. Greg will probably spend the majority of Thanksgiving working outside on the house. I want be stuck in the kitchen all day cooking and making homemade pies. Simple but perfect.

Above and below photos that I took for an online story that got cut. My great grandmother’s china is shown as a salad plate. A simple stripe linen tablecloth from Terrain and purple napkins from Libeco pull the table together without it becoming too fussy. The hurricanes are from now defunct Smith & Hawkins and the beeswax candles my mom picked up for me at Whole Foods.

Plait Textiles
Kitchens Linens For Table
Simon Pearce: Quechee, Vermont

Comments

18 Responses to “My Thanksgiving Table”

1. Julie
    November 22nd, 2010 @ 1:48 pm

This is exactly the feel I’m aiming for! Simple, pretty, and sweet.

2. chelsea
    November 22nd, 2010 @ 1:51 pm

Very pretty! I am so thrilled for you that your house projects are happening!! Please have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

3. Susan
    November 22nd, 2010 @ 2:02 pm

Looks lovely…have a wonderful holiday! :)

4. Caitlin
    November 22nd, 2010 @ 2:45 pm

This tabletop is so pretty! I hope you have a wonderful thanksgiving and get lots of house projects done.

5. Kate
    November 22nd, 2010 @ 7:11 pm

What a beautiful table setting! It is both traditional and un-fussy. I am especially taken with your great grandmother’s china :) happy thanksgiving

6. Helene
    November 22nd, 2010 @ 7:50 pm

Happy Thanksgiving Katy! Thanks for sharing your life with us as you do. Yours is one of the few blogs I actually read (as opposed to just scrolling through the pictures), and have been reading for over a year now. I love it. Your great grandmother’s plates are so beautiful. Have a fantastic, do-nothing day in your PJs. Sounds just perfect.
    xx

November 22nd, 2010 @ 7:57 pm

Thanks everyone for all your kind words. Each one makes me smile.

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!

November 22nd, 2010 @ 9:59 pm

Beautiful table, Katy!

9. Vanya
    November 22nd, 2010 @ 10:12 pm

very pretty Katie. Can I ask what on earth is kielbasa?! :) Not something we’ve heard of in New Zealand

November 22nd, 2010 @ 10:17 pm

It’s polish style sausage. My family immigrated to the United States from Poland in 1906.

11. jen jafarzadeh
    November 22nd, 2010 @ 10:37 pm

such a pretty table! I’m a little jealous you don’t have to schlep anywhere (or clean)

12. designchic
    November 23rd, 2010 @ 12:18 am

Love the table…pretty and festive. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

13. little pink room
    November 23rd, 2010 @ 4:20 am

It’s so beautiful. Although we don’t celebrate Thanksgiving in the UK, you’ve given me some Christmas inspiration. I did not want to invest in a whole new dinnerware set, maybe some christmassy salad plates will do the trick! Aoife x

14. Ashley
    November 23rd, 2010 @ 9:24 am

The table and the accompanying text are lovely, Katy. I’ll be spending Thanksgiving in Maine with my grandmother and extended family on my grandmother’s farm, as a matter of fact. I’ll be sure to say hi to ‘Vacationland’ for you! Happy Thanksgiving!

15. Patsy
    November 23rd, 2010 @ 10:16 am

Gorgeous table! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

If you get bored, come join us for the Wild Turkey Run in Salem ;-)

16. Kim
    November 24th, 2010 @ 12:42 pm

Gosh, the name of those flowers is on the tip of my tongue. What are they?

17. Emma
    November 27th, 2010 @ 8:41 pm

Happy Thanksgiving! Your pretty table makes me wish we were celebrating up in Canada as well!

18. April