Beverly Jog

Posted on | November 17, 2010 | 13 Comments

Found exclusively on the north shore of Boston a “Beverly Jog” is an addition added to Georgian style homes in the late 1700s. The jog originated in the Essex county town of Beverly, Massachusetts, hence the name. Typically, the jog is added to one side of the back of the house. The narrow addition jets out from the side of the house allowing for a door, staircase and or a window on the second floor and third floors. The door often leads straight into the kitchen. (Old House Journal)

Above the Josiah Woodbury House in Salem, Massachusetts c.1774, showcasing a typical Beverly Jog with a separate entrance. (Architecture in Salem: An Illustrated Guide)

On the backside of our house we have a jog. I’m not really sure if our addition was built in the 1700’s but added later mimicking the style. The foundation in the addition is extremely poor but the materials used don’t match up to the structure found in the main part of the house. I have to do some more research to confirm the actual dates.

Our addition is in really bad shape—rotten walls, beams and floors. We started by adding in a new sill, rebuilding parts of the foundation and restoring the corners. When Greg was demoing the area he found an old wood door behind a wall. From the outside the door was clapboarded over so we had no idea it was there.

We’ve been talking about adding the door back in. I would have to have it approved by my Historic Society but I assume it won’t be an issue since the door is typical of the jog and we found an old door. Eventually the door will lead right into our kitchen. How cool right? Below photos of the addition restoration in process as well as the door we found.

Found! Secret Door
Newspaper Insulation
Roof, Rotten Gutters, Sill, and Back Door

Comments

13 Responses to “Beverly Jog”

1. evencleveland
    November 17th, 2010 @ 1:09 pm

How very cool. I always wondered what those little additions were called.

2. Ashley
    November 17th, 2010 @ 2:43 pm

This post was such a surprise because, judging by the title I thought, “Oh, wow, Katy took up running!” I always love the history/architecture lessons I get from your blog.

November 17th, 2010 @ 2:47 pm

Ha! I bet my boyfriend wishes that was the case. He’s a runner but I find it painful and boring. I’m a 10 minute super sprint on the treadmill when I’m having major stress kinda girl.

4. Paula Kucera
    November 17th, 2010 @ 3:56 pm

Okay, I’m having a renovation flashback, not exactly a good thing. After years of ripping out nasty old boards form every imaginable space (usually cheap), the thought of it makes me shiver. Okay, I’m exagerating – sort of. Bravo to you for turning your work into a great history lesson for all. Still, needless to say, my next house will be a yurt. Come visit the farm and the shop next time you’re in New Paltz.

5. amy goodhouse
    November 17th, 2010 @ 4:46 pm

kudos to you guys for really thinking out every step of the process in your home renovation. I really enjoy seeing it all take shape! I also was tricked into thinking maybe you took up running. lol.

6. G
    November 17th, 2010 @ 4:55 pm

That was a fun project – you get to see results quickly when working with wood. This corner about half way done (on the outside), then I “jog” over to the end of the “jog” and do it all again. Here is some advise – don’t buy a house with shingles covering the corner boards unless you want to rebuild it all.

7. The Roving Home
    November 17th, 2010 @ 6:45 pm

Nice find. I like the “what’s behind the walls” posts (along with the architectural info) – you give us a sense of discovery without all the tough work. Fun for us, not quite as fun for you.

November 17th, 2010 @ 7:41 pm

Did you catch that everyone? G is Greg he thought he was being funny by saying, “then I ‘jog’ over to the end of the ‘jog’ and do it all again”.

9. Josephine
    November 17th, 2010 @ 8:54 pm

Ha, ha! The G post is funny. :) That was a very interesting blog post. It looks like you have a good start on the problem as well.

10. ddl
    November 18th, 2010 @ 9:06 am

Love your blog in general but I’m always psyched to see the blood and guts. Go Greg go!

11. Patsy
    November 18th, 2010 @ 10:31 am

Oh, I can’t wait to casually drop Beverly jog into conversation – thanks!

Funny, Greg!

12. Karena
    November 18th, 2010 @ 10:33 am

Katy so knowledgable. I adore your site. Love historic homes (though the work is never ending!)

Come enter my giveaway from Empress of the Eye! You will love the interview!

xoxo
    Karena

Art by Karena

13. mydesignchic
    November 18th, 2010 @ 9:10 pm

Thrilled to have found your blog…inspiring and informative – perfect combination!!