Millions of Peaches, Peaches For Me

Posted on | September 14, 2010 | 18 Comments

Does anyone else know that song, Peaches by Presidents of USA? I can’t I say I know any of the other words besides, “millions of peaches, peaches for me” but I kept singing it the whole time I was picking and jamming these peaches.

It’s the end of peach season here in New England. I think I got the last of the crop at Brooksby Farm in Peabody, Mass over Labor Day weekend? They are super easy to pick off trees just like apples. Photos of the field above and below. I brought them home, sliced them up, soaked them in sugar for about fours hours, and then cooked them down with some lemon. Viola jam! That’s it! I sampled the jam with a little ice cream and it was delicious. Have you been canning too? I would love to hear your stories.

Making Dill Pickles
Making Strawberry Jam

Comments

18 Responses to “Millions of Peaches, Peaches For Me”

September 14th, 2010 @ 11:48 am

Yum! Yum! Yum! I know that song and I always sing the first line “Moving to the country, gonna eat me a lotta peaches!” when I’m making peach desserts!

2. S@sha
    September 14th, 2010 @ 11:51 am

Peaches are my favorite fruit, but I’ve never tried to make peach jam. Do you can it using a water bath?

I went to a Presidents of USA concert while in college and all I can say is that they may have the most annoyingly simplistic vocals every known to man. The “millions of peaches” is probably all the song actually says, over and over and over. And it’ll probably stay stuck in your head for the next week and a half. The other song I remember was, “She’s lump, she’s lump, she’s really lump,” over and over and over.

September 14th, 2010 @ 11:54 am

Yup! I did the same canning process as I did with the strawberry jam. Sterilize the jars/lids and then once the jars are filled with the fruit I canned them in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

4. redbrickbuilding
    September 14th, 2010 @ 12:24 pm

Not canning but we did buy lots of local (MA-grown) nectarines at Volante Farm on Saturday and made the most luscious Nectarine and Elderflower Custard layer cake with them.

5. Gretchen O
    September 14th, 2010 @ 12:52 pm

I DO know the song, and love peach jam. What a combo, but I do see how the lyrics would be a pain to get out of your head…hopefully you have moved on:) But if it takes having a song in your head to make yummo jam, I guess it is worth it. –Gretchen O.

6. Ally
    September 14th, 2010 @ 1:31 pm

I haven’t been canning, and I certainly wish I had thought of going up to Brooksby for fresh peaches, but I made cinnamon roasted peaches the other day for breakfast and they were out of this world!! The same song was going through my head, too! (recipe –> http://tinyurl.com/2cddl89)

I’m ready for apple season, I think. :)

7. Susan
    September 14th, 2010 @ 1:55 pm

That song is so catchy!! Looks delicious…

8. Olga
    September 14th, 2010 @ 1:56 pm

I want some!!!
    I made blackberry-wine jelly on Sunday. Except you can’t taste the wine. The recipie called for reducing the wine and I stupidly followed. Don’t reduce the wine if you are making berry wine jelly. If you do you wont taste any wine and it will be a total waste of wine.

9. Kathy
    September 14th, 2010 @ 4:36 pm

Hi Katy, I just recently found your blog and I am enjoying all your posts. I especially loved the photos of your sister’s home and the beautiful tufted bench, and how well your painting fit in with the bursts of color. Are you back to painting again? I also have a blog I follow called Catapilladesigns.com that has some nice wool plaid pillows the woman makes with wool from the Kerry Woolen Mills. My mother was born and raised on Bere Island, where the woman lives, so I have to confess that I am slightly biased about this blog. It has great photos anyway.

September 14th, 2010 @ 4:42 pm

Hi Kathy!

We’ll see about painting, something is in the works, I’m on the hunt for studio space.

11. Ashley A.
    September 14th, 2010 @ 11:14 pm

If I had my little way, I’d eat peaches everyday…. ;)

I love peaches. Always have. Always will.

12. Rachel
    September 15th, 2010 @ 12:16 am

We just planted a peach tree this year and are hoping for peaches in the next couple of years. This year they fell off before ripening fully – I’m guessing (hoping) it’s because the tree wasn’t mature.

By the way, dill pickled green beans are delicious!! I pickled them the same as you would cucumbers, but added just a little little bit of red pepper flakes. They are so good!

13. Hilary
    September 15th, 2010 @ 2:34 am

those look sweet! just baked 2 peach galettes today and sprinkled in some toffee. Eating them was heaven!

14. Jen
    September 15th, 2010 @ 9:31 am

Ha! My friend’s cousin was in that band.

15. serena
    September 26th, 2010 @ 2:13 pm

went to high school with those guys in Seattle – “peaches come from a can, they were put there by a man…”

your blog is great – love it!

16. Debi
    September 27th, 2010 @ 1:32 pm

Sorry Katy, but Brooksby is in Peabody, MA – not in Danvers, MA. Local pride dontcha know… :)

September 27th, 2010 @ 1:42 pm

oh whoops. Fixed now. Thanks for letting me know.

18. Abbey
    October 13th, 2010 @ 2:28 pm

I LOVE the photo of the cukes!