Fleece at Common Ground Fair

Posted on | September 26, 2010 | 7 Comments

Wool at Common Ground Fair, Maine

Over the weekend I was up in Unity, Maine for the Common Ground Fair. Held every year at the end of September the country fair celebrates rural and agricultural traditions of Maine.

My favorite part was the fleece sale. Hundred of bags packed to the brim with raw wool line long tables. The fleeces are “organized initially by color and then grade, with each grower’s fleeces grouped together within the respective category”. I saw a number of spinners carefully inspecting each of the bags. You could tell by the look on their faces this was their version of Disney World. A large piece of fleece below being inspected by judges and a farmer showing me how to properly look at the fleece on a sheep—you never want to poke it because the fibers will get matted and tangled. The area shown is the highest quality merino wool. Gorgeous, right?

DSC_4047
DSC_4056
Fleece Sale at Common Ground Fair
Wool at Common Ground Fair, Maine

Maine Family Weekend
Smelt Fishing In Maine
Acadia National Park, Maine

Comments

7 Responses to “Fleece at Common Ground Fair”

1. Núria
    September 27th, 2010 @ 11:19 am

I really envy you!!!! what a lovely, lovely, lovely exhibition!!!!

2. Doreen
    September 27th, 2010 @ 12:00 pm

Thanks Katy – I have always wanted to go to this fair but usually go to Maine in August and don’t make the long drive back in September so your pics are especially appreciated! I don’t spin anymore but those Merino are so tempting – too long of a process for me though (I have to keep that in mind). Hope you have more pics to share!

3. lynne
    September 27th, 2010 @ 3:14 pm

your are so lucky!! i LOVE LOVE the common ground fair.

4. Virginia
    September 27th, 2010 @ 6:11 pm

I grew up in Maine and remember going to this fair as a child and being disappointed when there were no rides. I was in the 4-H sheep club so I showed sheep there.

5. Brittany
    September 29th, 2010 @ 6:04 pm

This looks like such a great fair! I would’ve loved to be there. I love the smell of barns, which I realize is kind of weird. But all of that fleece! Oh my goodness.

6. EMILY
    September 30th, 2010 @ 4:36 pm

My family was just here… I have such fun memories of the common gound fair- I was in a bubble gum blowing contest here. It’s the simple things, isn’t it? I included some photos my folks sent me- including over 200 apple varietals from Maine! http://www.bigmoonsky.blogspot.com x

7. Kait Palmer
    October 1st, 2010 @ 4:37 pm

Whoa! That is so nifty! I just want to dig my hands into all of it!