Typeface Drawer For Beach Treasures

Posted on | August 11, 2010 | 7 Comments

When I was growing up we had an old typeface drawer full of treasures. I remember spending hours looking at every tiny little piece. My sister’s vacation house in Maine had one displayed in the stairwell. It was gorgeous filled with tiny little shells and rocks from the nearby beach. The bird feather tucked at the very top was great contrast.

You can find old typeface drawers at fleamarkets, antique fairs, ebay for under $50. Most are rectangular or square.

Maine Family Weekend
Owls Head General Store
diy: Mussel Shelf Wreath

7 Responses to “Typeface Drawer For Beach Treasures”

1. Ms. Jen
    August 11th, 2010 @ 4:31 pm

What a great idea! I found one of these at an antique mall for $15 last year. Now that I live on the north shore, I need to start filling it up. What are the most common shells on the beaches of Marblehead?

2. A Bluebonnet in Beantown
    August 11th, 2010 @ 9:13 pm

What a fantastic idea!! My kids love to collect shells, and I just have them tossed in a bowl. This is absolutely perfect. I’m going to keep an eye out when I go to antique stores.

3. Krista
    August 12th, 2010 @ 8:27 am

I had one of these too! It got lost (along with my treasures) in one of my mom’s moves. I need to keep my eyes open for a replacement.

4. second storie
    August 12th, 2010 @ 9:59 am

I have one of these fabulous drawers sitting in the basement just waiting for a grand purpose. I think I just found it! Great ideas and great photos. Thanks for sharing!

5. Hilary
    August 13th, 2010 @ 2:43 pm

Lovely way to showcase a collection!

6. erin, reading my tea leaves
    August 18th, 2010 @ 8:57 pm

i keep earrings on mine. but i like to fill some spaces with little earthen treasures like seashells and sea stones. this one is lovely.

7. katie kirby
    September 1st, 2010 @ 12:11 pm

What a lovely idea. Perfect for a bathroom!