Owls Head General Store

Posted on | August 11, 2010 | 10 Comments

In many of the small towns in Maine general stores and post offices are the only thing in the center of town. Some are regular convenience stores others have hot food and sandwiches. My sister discovered Owls Head General Store last week on her vacation. Food Network named their Seven Napkin Burger the best burger in Maine. I would have to agree it’s pretty darn good—moist, fresh tomatoes, great bun = delicious! I would give it an A for classic burger taste. My all time fav burger is the Chargrilled Burger with Roquefort Cheese & Shoestrings from The Spotted Pig in the West Village of New York; which I should note is 3x’s the price of the Seven Napkin.

The general store is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner serving simple family-friendly fare at reasonable prices. Diners can eat inside or out. The garden out back has picnic tables and a frog pond. The building to the right is the town’s post office but the upstairs is an apartment that can be rented by the night or week.

We went on a Friday night. The girls ran around while the adults enjoyed a six-pack and slices of fresh homemade rhubarb pie. No crowds or lines this place is pretty close to perfect. Take dinner to go and head to Owls Head Lighthouse for a view of the ocean.
p.s. That’s the best photo I could get of the Jones. Classic family portrait, right?

Owls Head General Store
2 South Shore Drive
Owls Head, Maine
(207) 596-6038

Maine Family Weekend
Andrew Wyeth & Olsen House in Cushing, Maine
Maine State Prison Shop

Comments

10 Responses to “Owls Head General Store”

1. jennie
    August 11th, 2010 @ 11:43 am

good to know for our next trip to maine, which is my favorite vacation planning fantasy destination!

2. chelsea
    August 11th, 2010 @ 12:22 pm

I love, love love the general stores in New England!! I actually stayed at a cottage just down the street from the Owls Head General Store e a few years ago. I posted about their cool business cards: http://www.frolic-blog.com/frolic/2007/10/owls-head-card.html

It was actually for sale when we were there and we were dreaming of buying it! Sounds like they’ve done great things with it!

Your photos are awesome and the burger looks delish!!!

August 11th, 2010 @ 12:24 pm

The business cards are so cute! My sister grabbed a few as mementos.

4. Emily
    August 11th, 2010 @ 12:38 pm

At least Don was into it…

5. Jenny
    August 11th, 2010 @ 9:37 pm

We were just there!! And the burger is as great as the Food Network says it is. Did you get to Primo???

August 11th, 2010 @ 9:38 pm

Hi Jenny,

No we didn’t make it to Primo. We canceled our reservations to have a family dinner instead. Next time!

7. Laurie
    August 12th, 2010 @ 7:36 am

I work in Owls Head (OH Transportation Museum) and get to eat at the general store all year round! (Good cookies and pies too.) I send many visitors to the museum there and also down to Port Clyde. Wish I had known you were in the area Katy… Living/working here is very different from vacationing here. I don’t get to do the things you enjoyed too often as a little thing called a job gets in the way most of the time! But I do enjoy it when I can and am grateful for the opportunity to wake up to it every day.

August 12th, 2010 @ 9:49 am

Hi Laurie,

I can totally relate to not doing the touristy stuff in the town you live in. Work always gets in the way. :)

I lived so many wonderful places but was always too busy to enjoy the town except in the off season.

9. Tessa
    August 12th, 2010 @ 11:38 am

This post reminded me of the wonderful Brewster General Store that is always my sons first request to visit in the town we stay in on Cape Cod. It is walking distance from the home we rent and I remember it as a special place when I was a child too, so it is fun to see my little ones enjoy it just as much. There is just something so charming about New England general stores.

10. Elizabeth
    September 1st, 2010 @ 3:09 pm

Ahhh… Owls Head General Store. I have been vacationing in Owls Head and Rockland since I was a little girl and love stopping into the Owls Head General Store for a treat. Their burger is delicious, but my favorite item is the breakfast sandwich with a freshly brewed cup of coffee. Just got back from there a few weeks ago.