Maine Family Weekend

Posted on | August 9, 2010 | 15 Comments

We joined my sister and her family in Maine for a long weekend and little r&r. We ate lobster for breakfast, lunch, dinner and I will confess I’m done. I’m realizing I’m partial to the lobster roll rather then the whole lobster. After dinner we brought the lobster shells down to the beach for the birds. I’m in love with the photo I snapped of Emma 7, above.

We spent the entire day at the beach on Friday. Running in the waves, searching for shells, taking naps, and eating lobster rolls for lunch. None of us could remember spending the whole day at the beach from high tide to low to high since we were kids. My nieces loved the trip. Why is it that kids are not at all bothered by the cold ocean? I was shivering most of the time and Sydney 4, was looking at my goose bumps like, what are those? Below photos and a few clips I made into a short video.

If your interested in renting a house in midcoast Maine (Camden-Port Clyde area) check out Summer Maine. A number of houses are available on the ocean for week long rentals.

Owls Head General Store
Typeface Drawer For Beach Treasures
Snug Harbor Farm

Comments

15 Responses to “Maine Family Weekend”

1. Lesley Sargent
    August 9th, 2010 @ 11:36 am

Hi, Katy. This tugs @ my heartstrings indeed. We used to have a house on Hupper’s Island off Port Clyde and loved it immensely. I remember when my children were young like the ones in your photos and the wonderful days spend exploring. Thanks for the rental links. I may re-think my vacation plans for Lake Pemaquid next year and venture back up Route 131 to Port Clyde!

2. chelsea
    August 9th, 2010 @ 11:40 am

I love that area of Maine! This video is so great.

3. Emily
    August 9th, 2010 @ 11:49 am

I think all of us that have grown up in New England have some memories of a family vacation in Maine. Thanks for bringing back some beautiful memories!

4. brindy
    August 9th, 2010 @ 4:26 pm

Hello Katie,

What a wonderful trip! I could listen to the sound of your posted video all day. The rhythm of the waves and laughter of the family are beautiful. I am unable to venture up the Maine this summer – which has been our annual tradition- but checking into your blog has been just a joy.

Thanks, Brindy

… Oh, and that is my mom (Lesley Sargent) who posted the first comment. I have been trying to convince her to get a rental in Port Clyde for next summer and I think your post may have convinced her ;)

5. Tessa
    August 9th, 2010 @ 10:21 pm

mmm…. Maine! Looks like a perfect weekend. Such an adorable video. I spent a couple long weekends in Maine while pregnant with my second child and ate so much lobster I thought I would never be able to eat it again, but I’m craving it as we speak. My second child ended up being the happiest little baby I’ve ever encountered so my husband and I joke that it had something to do with all the lobster I consummed! :)

6. Shelly
    August 9th, 2010 @ 11:48 pm

This looks amazing! Thanks for the travel link…I’m trying to talk my fiance into a honeymoon in Maine…this may help!

Love your blog, love your house, keep up the great work!

7. jen jafarzadeh
    August 10th, 2010 @ 2:21 pm

love your photos! we’re getting back up to Maine for a weekend in a few weeks, and I can’t wait. I had to laugh at your comment about the lobster because I’ve overloaded in the past, too. I definitely prefer the lobster roll over the whole lobster.

8. Nicole Garrigan
    August 11th, 2010 @ 2:23 pm

My husband grew up in Camden and we plan to move back there and renovate an old farm house sometime in the future. For now we live in Northern California and enjoy looking at others adventures and pictures of coastal maine. Thanks for sharing!

9. Jen
    August 11th, 2010 @ 3:25 pm

I love the outdoor table filled with sea treasures! We just came back from a vaca. in M.E. (Camp Ellis Beach, Saco) and so many of the cottages by the harbor had outdoor picnic tables covered with new and old treasures. It was like you could tell how long the family vacationed there by the amount of stuff and how sun bleached it was. Very cool. We use shells to label my garden and for outdoor candle holders but I’m going to add an outdoor table to the mix! Thanks for sharing.

10. Brittany Noel
    August 13th, 2010 @ 6:37 pm

It looks like you had such an awesome time up there. I’m still so jealous of your close proximity to such a beautiful place. I could really use some ocean air right now!

11. Rosie DeQuattro
    August 14th, 2010 @ 3:41 pm

Just discovered your blog. Thanks for the links to Maine Vacation Rentals. We used to go when the kids were little but got out of the habit. Reading this makes me want to try mid-coast Maine again–thanks!

12. Christine
    August 14th, 2010 @ 6:37 pm

Hi, Katy —
    Thanks for posting the photos and video. I love seeing the pics of Emma and Sydney playing on the beach, and of Don and Kristen, too!
    I may be a little lacking on objectivity, but I think they are the loveliest family in the world, but maybe that’s because I’m the girls’ grandma in Colorado.
    Your pics and video gave me that “nearly there” feeling. Thanks!
    Love, Chris

13. erin, reading my tea leaves
    August 15th, 2010 @ 1:05 pm

perfect. glad you got to have a little getaway!

14. Scordo
    August 17th, 2010 @ 2:34 pm

Can someone tell me the name of the beach and town at the 44 second mark?

Thanks,
    Scordo

June 4th, 2011 @ 11:33 am

The beach is in Owls Head, Maine. Not sure of the name.