Recipe: Ricotta Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms

Posted on | July 27, 2010 | 19 Comments

It’s zucchini season in New England. I picked up a bunch of zucchini blossoms from my local farmer’s market over the weekend. I’ve never actually stuffed my own but I have spotted recipes a hundred times in magazines and online. Then, last week I was watching a Gourmet’s Diary of a Foodie where this amazing Italian women was frying up a few—I’ve been dreaming about them ever since.

The process is pretty simple. Cut off the stems from each of the blossoms, make a small slice down the side of the blossom, remove the stamen, and give the flowers a cold water rinse. After reading a few different recipes I came up with my own adaption of the cheese stuffing. Ricotta is usually the base and other cheeses and herbs are added. Stuff each blossom with your cheese mixture, taking care to fold the petal over the hole for a nice seal. Dredge in an egg/flour mixture. Heat skillet with a substantial amount of olive oil for frying—about an inch. Fry three or four blossoms at a time. They are delicate so try not to overcrowd them. Remove from oil and top with fresh grated Parmesan. Enjoy!

Cheese Mixture
1 cup of fresh ricotta (I used Narragansett Creamery’s Renaissance Ricotta, amazing!)
1/2 cup feta
2 handfuls of flat leaf parsley
1 handful of basil
S&P

Marblehead Farmers Market
Marblehead Veterans Middle School
217 Pleasant Street
Saturdays 9-12

Making Strawberry Jam
Recipe: Ratatouille and Sausage Potpie With Cornmeal Biscuits
Recipe: Pasta with Sausage, Swiss Chard, and Artichoke Hearts

Comments

19 Responses to “Recipe: Ricotta Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms”

July 27th, 2010 @ 10:15 am

This is gorgeous. One of my favourite things.

2. evencleveland
    July 27th, 2010 @ 10:15 am

This makes me miss having a garden. My dad used to make these for me for lunch all the time when I was growing up.

3. chelsea
    July 27th, 2010 @ 10:18 am

they look beautiful and delicious. love these photos.

4. S@sha
    July 27th, 2010 @ 12:30 pm

Yum! Was that the Diary of a Foodie episode where they visited a monastery garden in Rome? That was probably my favorite episode along with the Brazilian one.

5. Concha
    July 27th, 2010 @ 4:47 pm

Great tip!

I’ve got some courgette (zucchini) plants growing in my garden and whilst the female flowers turn into fruits, the male ones are excellent for stuffing!

6. Melanie F.
    July 27th, 2010 @ 5:54 pm

Your blog is beautiful… love it. Thanks for sharing.

7. Hilary
    July 27th, 2010 @ 5:59 pm

These are my favorite!
    A little Italian restaurant around the corner from me makes these! (way better than I do:)

8. Krista
    July 28th, 2010 @ 1:29 pm

Hello! Love the blog! You inspired me to make these last night. For any other vegans out there, I make a great “tofu ricotta” by putting these things into my mini-food processor:

1 block of firm silken tofu
    2 tsp fresh lemon juice
    1 big handful of basil
    1 clove of garlic
    1/4 cup nutritional yeast (optional)
    some black pepper

Cheers!

July 28th, 2010 @ 3:04 pm

Sounds like a great alternative for vegans! Thanks for sharing.

Katy

10. Lauryl
    July 28th, 2010 @ 4:49 pm

These look scrumptious!–I’ll definitely have to buy some blooms the next time I’m at market.

Also…I love your serving platter! Can you tell me who makes it? Thanks!

11. Gretchen
    July 28th, 2010 @ 8:43 pm

YUM! We usually do zuccinni blossoms every year, but this year we were without a garden having just moved. (concentrating on the inside instead of outside). Maybe next year.

–Gretchen

July 28th, 2010 @ 10:14 pm

Hi Lauryl,

The platter is from William Sonoma from about four years ago. The only similar thing available is this platter: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/pillivuyt-queen-anne-porcelain-serving-platter/?pkey=cserveware|tblsrvplt

13. Lauryl
    July 30th, 2010 @ 11:21 am

Thanks so much for your help! Pity they don’t carry it anymore! I’m actually considering to register for WS’s beautiful Pillivuyt Basketweave dinnerware and it’d be fun to mix it with other white serving pieces…

14. Abby
    August 1st, 2010 @ 8:32 am

Yum! These are one of my favorite summer treats, but I honestly never thought about making them at home. Thanks for the great recipe!

15. pleasesir
    August 1st, 2010 @ 11:19 pm

They are so beautiful! Sorry I’ve been out the loop recently. My work has blocked blogging sites – the horror right?! I’m slowly trying to catch up with my favs!

16. Anonymous
    August 6th, 2010 @ 11:43 pm

Had this appetizer in Rome this summer but with Mozzarella instead. It is absolutely delicious!

17. jessica and shelly
    August 8th, 2010 @ 2:53 pm

O M GEEEEEE the most bombest yummiest part of a plant i tasted yet!!! my family loved them and it was a nice lil addition to our breakfast of champions thanx for the recipe!!!!

18. Tanya
    August 25th, 2010 @ 4:20 pm

I just saw this on Food Network. Looks DELICIOUS!

19. Rachel
    August 23rd, 2011 @ 7:31 pm

Finally got a chance to make these – so many seasoning possibilities! I added cayenne + red pepper for a spicy version and think I might take inspiration from crab rangoon sometime! Thanks!