Recipe: Edamame Salad

Posted on | June 25, 2010 | 14 Comments

In a sea of mayo-filled summer salads my edamame version is a standout. Goes great with fish, burgers, and even BBQ. It’s my go to side for summer potlucks. Friends always ask me for the recipe. As I type I am munching on a bowl for lunch. Perfect for hot days when you want something fresh but don’t feel like cooking. Happy Weekend!

1 bag of frozen shelled Edamame
½ cup seasoned rice vinegar
2 T. canola oil
1 T. sugar
zest of one lime
juice of one lime
Salt and Pepper to Taste
8 ounce bag of radishes (sliced)
3-4 medium sized carrots (I buy the pre-sliced guys in a bag)
½ c sliced almond (toast in a small skillet)
1 cup of cilantro (chopped)

Rinse edamame with cool water till the ice comes off the shells. In my experience cooking the edamame makes it mushy. You want to keep the crunch—no need to cook. Put in a bowl with sliced radishes, carrots, and toasted almonds. Whisk together vinegar, oil, sugar, and S+P, and lime. Pour over vegetables and stir till well combined. Stir in cilantro and place in the fridge for about a 1/2 hour. Can be made the night before. Totally fine serving at room temperature for a potluck buffet.

Individual Strawberry Rhubarb Galettes
Homemade Baked Beans
Thai Beef Salad & Zucchini Bread

Comments

14 Responses to “Recipe: Edamame Salad”

1. Christie Chase
    June 25th, 2010 @ 3:45 pm

This looks yummy!…and I am glad it is sans mayo as I think mayo is the grossest stuff on the planet.

happy weekend

2. Beauty Bets
    June 25th, 2010 @ 4:41 pm

I see rice vinegar and cilantro. That is all I need I to know! (let me know if you need a go-to bread salad recipe. Not nearly as healthy but divine!)

3. Megan
    June 25th, 2010 @ 5:17 pm

Looks very refreshing and perfect for summer! I’m always in search of a fresh summer salad, something to cool down with on a hot day. I recently made Giada De Laurentiis’ “Mediterranean Farro Salad.” It was soooo good. Perfect for lunch or dinner, but definitely a BBQ must! Here’s the recipe if you are interested:

(p.s: I substituted red pepper for cucumber. It was a very good choice in the end…)

xoxoMegan

June 25th, 2010 @ 6:11 pm

Oh yum I love farro salads. I’ll try it!

5. Heather
    June 25th, 2010 @ 10:30 pm

Thank you for this post…I need something this weekend for a side – this is perfect!

6. Trish
    June 26th, 2010 @ 8:54 am

Super yum! I usually just get the broccoli slaw from Trader Joe’s and do a similar vinaigrette. This is much more interesting and colorful! Thanks for the hot tip.

7. Tessa
    June 26th, 2010 @ 11:36 am

This looks wonderful. I think it would be great with garbanzo beans in place of the edamame too.

8. Jenny
    June 27th, 2010 @ 9:42 am

Thanks for the recipe! Wanted to let you know that your blog is making waves in the north country. A lovely woman running the shop Sugar Tools in Camden, Maine was chatting with me about Marblehead. “That’s where Katy Elliot lives!” she exclaimed. I asked if she knew you, and she said only from your blog. Sugar Tools is a fabulous store. From what I’ve seen of your taste, you would love it – so do stop by if your Maine treks take you to Camden (and make sure you have dinner at Primo in Rockland too!!).

June 27th, 2010 @ 9:20 pm

Jenny,

Ha! What a compliment! I’ll be up in Rockland/Camden area in early August. I ‘ll have to stop by her shop.

We are totally having dinner at Primo…already in the works.

10. moparbrownstoner
    June 28th, 2010 @ 5:49 pm

Sounds yummy and easy. I like the edamame-radish combo.

11. Heather
    June 30th, 2010 @ 12:55 pm

Made this and it is awesome….a new favorite! Eating it right now for lunch! Thanks again

12. Lizzetta
    July 3rd, 2010 @ 7:16 pm

I too just made this lovely summer salad, and have now added it to my recipe box of favorites. It’s even better the next day.

July 3rd, 2010 @ 8:06 pm

I’m glad everyone is having good results. I got a few very nice e-mails from others readers saying they tried it too!

14. Betsy Snyder
    July 6th, 2010 @ 10:14 am

Hi Katy,

I’ve been a blog-admirer of yours for a while:) I made this recipe over the weekend and it was fantastic…thanks for sharing!