Getting Ready For Canning

Posted on | June 9, 2010 | 15 Comments

Did you miss me? I was outside enjoying summer and trying to slowly break myself of my internet habit. I promise to keep blogging but I need a summer break. Expect informal pop-ins from me every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Hopefully less about the internet world and more about my everyday life in New England.

Last night, I started pulling together my canning supplies. If you remember last summer canning season was a bust. We had that horrible rainstorm that lasted till August? Strawberries were horrible and tomatoes were mostly ruined by the blight.

This season I am taking full advantage of the great weather. I would like to get some canning jars in different sizes and maybe try out Weck’s jars too! In years past I’ve used a lobster pot for boiling the jars which was sufficient but difficult to use because it was so narrow and I got burnt about a zillion times. I ordered a Canning pot on Amazon which comes with a jar rack. Could be useful?

I’m hoping to do a lot more preserving this season. Till now strawberry and blueberry jam are the only recipes I have conquered. I picked up Ashley English’s new book, Homemade Living: Canning & Preserving. Hopefully some good pickle recipes? Check out her blog too: small measure. I found this blog all about preserving on Ashley’s blog: tigress in a jam. She has great round up of recipes using rhubarb, yum!

Stay tuned for more. I’m hoping to go strawberry picking this weekend or early next week depending on the weather. Do you have a favorite fruit you love to jam?

Weck Canning Jars
Large Ball Jar for Lemonade
Strawberry Picking In Maine 2009

Comments

15 Responses to “Getting Ready For Canning”

1. Seraphima
    June 9th, 2010 @ 1:02 pm

Went strawberry picking yesterday here in Ipswich at Russell’s Orchard. My daughter had so much fun; she was all strawberry stained! They were delicious. Marini Farms is open now for picking too. Enjoy! I plan on making a strawberry rhubarb crisp this weekend.

2. Liz
    June 9th, 2010 @ 1:55 pm

Congrats on the summer schedule! I’m tempted to do the same:)

Good luck with the canning!

Liz

June 9th, 2010 @ 1:59 pm

I wish I could it with my real job too. Thankfully i get to work from home…so I really can’t complain!

4. mopar
    June 9th, 2010 @ 4:13 pm

Yes, we missed you. Always wonder how you manage to repair house with your own bare hands, blog, work, and bake. Crazy.

5. Trish
    June 9th, 2010 @ 4:40 pm

I had high hopes for tomato canning last year too. You’ve inspired me! Course I’ll be getting them at the farmers market!

6. Shannon
    June 9th, 2010 @ 5:51 pm

I DID miss you! :)
    You go girl, make some jam! I love to make jam and jellies and I am gearing up for some strawberry rhubarb using fresh local strawberries and my very own rhubarb.
    Nice to hear from you.
    Shannon

7. Roxane
    June 9th, 2010 @ 8:30 pm

I used to make crabapple jelly, 7 day pickles and bread & butter pickles, but I haven’t done that for quite a few years. I totally depend on my MIL to make them for me, lol. I got all the recipes from her anyways. I’ve also made “quick” pickles that get refrigerated right away & have to be eaten within a short period of time. Maybe I’ll look up the recipes this summer and start again!

8. A Bluebonnet in Beantown
    June 9th, 2010 @ 8:51 pm

I’m always so impressed by people who can jam, jelly, preserve, put away, etc. The whole boiling/sealing thing intimidates me. However, I was planning on hauling my family to Russell’s Orchard to pick strawberries so maybe I’ll get inspired. Or maybe we’ll just eat them all fresh.

Gena

9. S@sha
    June 10th, 2010 @ 1:41 am

Apricot jam is my favorite. We only get a good apricot harvest here in NM every few years and the rest of the time the blooms freeze, but home grown apricots make the best jam. When I was a kid my grandma used to make black cherry jam that I loved. And last year we got a ton of grapes from an acquaintance and made grape jelly which has never been my favorite, but because we ended up with eight billion jars, I’m learning to love it.

10. christine
    June 10th, 2010 @ 7:39 am

So happy you are back and making jam! I can’t wait to hear what you make. I love classic raspberry. I always alter the amount of sugar in the recipes however because I really want to taste fruit (even though I do really love sugar). Maybe you can find something to can in those adorable tiny weck jars?

11. Patsy
    June 10th, 2010 @ 12:31 pm

Our Farmer’s Market opens this Saturday! Stop by and get inspired. I’ll be there in the craft vendor section, come say hello.

12. Liz
    June 10th, 2010 @ 3:20 pm

Ah… I think your summer M/W/F schedule sounds genius. Love your blog, I’m off to look around.

13. Mandy
    June 10th, 2010 @ 5:54 pm

Fantastic …. what a great schedule !!!!

14. Katie
    June 10th, 2010 @ 11:36 pm

Every summer I say I am going to learn to can and preserve, and then I just end up freezing my garden bounty or making freezer jam. this year, I swear I WILL can stuff.

15. cany gram
    June 14th, 2010 @ 8:24 pm

I’ve been canning and making jams since the 70’s. You DO NOT need a water bath for jams and jellies with high sugar content. It ruins the flavor by overcooking them. Sugar is a natural preservative and also antibacterial so it’s all you need to keep you jam’s safe. Follow the directions on the sure gel package. After putting the hot jam into jars and capping tip them upside down for 5 minutes-when you flip them over you’ll hear a “ping” as the jam cools. This forms an airtight seal and your jam is safely preserved. Cool for 24 hours and then remove the screw lid and store in a cool place. So much easier.