Sara Elizabeth Block Printers Studio

Posted on | May 4, 2010 | 11 Comments

Over the weekend I visited Sarah Elizabeth Block Printers studio in Rockport, Massachusetts. The thirty year old shop is a living museum honoring the work of Folly Cove artist Sarah Elizabeth. Established in Gloucester in 1938, the Folly Cove Designers were a guild of designer-craftsmen that grew out of a design course taught by Virginia Lee Burton Demetrio. After the designers disbanded in 1969, Sarah Elizabeth continued block printing and in 1974 opened the Sarah Elizabeth Shop.

Today the shop is run by her apprentice, Isabel Natti. Isabel started block printing as a weekend job, and now, after thirty years continues to print the linoleum blocks she has designed and carved. The prints include scenes of nature and marine life on the coast of Cape Ann. The prints are available as placemats, runners, cards, and wall hangings. My favorite is Oceanside a multi-block wall hanging depicting a fish company in Gloucester.

Above and below a photos from inside the studio. Isabel is shown sitting in front of her 150-year old Acorn Press—a press she inherited from her Aunt Lee Natti. To find out more about Sarah Elizabeth including shop hours and purchasing info visit: sarah-elizabeth-shop.com.

Sarah Elizabeth Block Printers
5 Whistlestop Mall
Rockport, MA
(978) 546-6541
sarah-elizabeth-shop.com

George Anderson & Sarah Elizabeth Block Printers
Carved Wood Printing Blocks
Thomas Paul: New Nautical Pillows

Comments

11 Responses to “Sara Elizabeth Block Printers Studio”

1. erica
    May 4th, 2010 @ 6:37 pm

another excuse for a quick trip up north (that and fried clams…)!

2. chelsea
    May 4th, 2010 @ 7:59 pm

So great. I love her shop front.

3. Virginia
    May 5th, 2010 @ 8:56 am

Just read the VL Burton biography. I love the Folly Cove story and designs. So Amazing. I need to drive on out there to see Sarah Elizabeth B P’s!

4. Anna
    May 5th, 2010 @ 11:49 am

Beautiful work! I’ve got a small collection of Indian woodblocks I’ve been thinking of experimenting with, but carving my own would be even better…

5. Jennifer
    May 5th, 2010 @ 12:48 pm

Ohhhhh…I’ve never been to Rockport. ROAD TRIP!!!!!

6. kathryn
    May 6th, 2010 @ 5:29 pm

soooo dreamy! wow. I want to be her. what an amazing shop.

May 6th, 2010 @ 10:35 pm

I think you blogged her before but I’m glad for the reminder! Thank you!

8. Kajsa
    May 7th, 2010 @ 3:20 am

Waow!Fantastic designs and such an interesting and inspiring story.

9. Jenn
    May 16th, 2010 @ 8:54 pm

When I’m daydreaming about opening my own little store someday, that storefront is exactly what it would look like!

I love how these block prints feel modern and traditional at once. Such a great find.

10. Esther
    August 11th, 2011 @ 6:00 pm

I absolutely love her stuff and live 5 minutes away. I’ve actually never been inside…thank you for the photos!

August 11th, 2011 @ 6:32 pm

Go Esther. Really cool things and they make the best gifts!