Painted House Number

Posted on | May 18, 2010 | 10 Comments

Have you ever walk by a house a hundred times but never notice a beautiful little detail? Last week on the news; I must have saw the entrance of 10 Downing Street in London (residence and office of the Prime Minister ) a hundred times. I kept fixating on the painted 10 on the front door. That night I walked by a similar door in Marblehead. Suddenly I realized I love glossy black front doors with painted white house numbers. How great would 39 look on my front door? Love it!

Spots of Green in Marblehead
Pumpkins Above The Front Door in Marblehead
Around My Neighborhood: Marblehead

Comments

10 Responses to “Painted House Number”

1. straight from the den
    May 18th, 2010 @ 1:11 pm

the downing st door is a new metal one, made to look like the old wooden one. the number 0 on the 10 is slightly squint, replicating the badly fixed number that was on the original door!

2. Jenn
    May 18th, 2010 @ 1:37 pm

Love it – it’s kind of edgy and traditional all at once.

3. Mopar
    May 18th, 2010 @ 2:34 pm

Your place is going to look great with a shiny black door and the black shutters and gray clapboards I think you mentioned.

I like all the traditional door colors: black, dark green, and red.

Am currently struggling to figure out what to paint our door, and the original (Victorian) surround. The rest of the house is white siding and, unfortunately, PINK permastone that was pasted over the original brick. All the light fixtures are black iron. I just can’t figure out what goes with a pink and white house with black accents.

4. Piper
    May 18th, 2010 @ 7:15 pm

How perfect that I stumbled upon this post! We’re redoing the front landscaping and front door…so I’m obsessed with front doors now! I find myself always checking out houses :) This actually is probably the color we’ll go with – a glossy black – great post!

5. G
    May 19th, 2010 @ 12:10 am

Yea – looks good. I like the gloss. I was thinking the paint might be the boat paint brand Awlgrip. The stuff looks so unbelievable. It’s tougher than nails but toxic as hell – if you are careful and do it right, the paint job will last longer than the door.

6. little pink room
    May 19th, 2010 @ 4:36 am

I love the downing street door. We’re planning a super shiny black one ourselves. Farrow and Ball have a high gloss paint that give this exact finish. A x

7. Barbara Rocha
    May 19th, 2010 @ 6:55 am

I paint numbers for clients all the time – most of the time its TEN though, not 10. As for black doors – interior doors look smashing in black too!!!
    Barb

8. FROM THE RIGHT BANK
    May 19th, 2010 @ 2:58 pm

I really like this idea. It makes me wonder why more people don’t do it.

9. jen jafarzadeh
    May 20th, 2010 @ 6:51 pm

I love the painted number idea! I think if I ever owned a home, I’d go with a glossy bright blue door with white painted numbers.

10. Beauty Bets
    May 25th, 2010 @ 11:18 am

This is divine and would look brilliant on my glossy black door! Now if only I had a two-digit address . . . somehow four numbers just isn’t as sweet.