Testing Out More Greens & Trim Colors

Posted on | April 19, 2010 | 12 Comments

Round two of picking a green paint for the den. I love Farrow & Ball’s paint colors but all the greens are just too dark for the den. I got a lot of votes for #2 Teresa’s Green (F&B) but to me it’s too blue. I want a sage green.

This morning I picked a few large paint samples from C2. I’ve read/heard C2 has a similar paint structure to Farrow & Ball. I think we have a winner with #4 Cucumber. I like the shade and it’s a nice green! I’ll have to live with it for few days. But I do feel confident if Cucumber doesn’t work I can find something similar in C2’s line.

Now onto trim colors. I tried out a few samples over the weekend. Trim colors from left to right: Off White, Joa’s White, Clunch, and Lime White all by Farrow & Ball. I’m leaning towards Off White, Clunch, or Lime White which are brown/grey/warm whites. I’m not a fan of yellow whites. #2 Joa’s white is pretty but too pink.

Below a video of the paint samples. The colors are so hard to photograph. I was hoping the video would give you a better idea of what the colors look like in real life. View on youtube in HD.

Pale Green Walls with Cream Trim
Sage Green Rooms
Green Paint Samples On Wall

Comments

12 Responses to “Testing Out More Greens & Trim Colors”

1. Laura.
    April 19th, 2010 @ 5:43 pm

i feel kind of ridiculous being so excited about your paint colors, but the cucumber looks beautiful, and the video is actually really helpful in seeing the light and colors interact! it looks like the cucumber will be a really great shade in that room. and i like the lime white (for what it’s worth).

2. lucyatfourwallsandaroof
    April 19th, 2010 @ 7:00 pm

Sage green is really tricky to find. We have one in our guest room – I think it’s Hollingsworth Green by Ben Moore. Another BM shade that’s nice is Morning Dew – really subtle and pale. The cucumber shade looks like a winner though. Nice choice. Have to be careful that the trim doesn’t look too yellowy next to it – the third one along is really nice and clear. Good luck.

3. Ben
    April 19th, 2010 @ 8:02 pm

Have you tried Paint and Paper Library? They have a slightly more modern colour palette than Farrow&Ball but are similar in quality. Their U.S. distributor seems to be Stark Wallcovering.

4. chelsea
    April 20th, 2010 @ 4:49 am

Love the little video! Can’t wait to see how this turns out.

5. Trish
    April 20th, 2010 @ 7:51 am

OMG – look at that woodwork! Can you imagine how much that would cost today?! BTW….I’m new here, love this blog so very, very much. Can’t wait to see how the sage green turns out, I’m with you…it’s a tricky color to get right. So worth all the paint samples, etc. I say take your morning coffee, drag in a chair and commune with the colors in the morning, then go back with a glass of wine after dinner and see what you think.

I’m currently on the hunt for a good beige – you know, a true beige that isn’t yellow or green. Oh, the joys of paint.

6. jaime
    April 20th, 2010 @ 9:17 am

i like the cucumber too. very pretty. my only comment for the trim color would be to maybe use the purest option so you have some contrast. i painted my living room light gray with white trim and at night, the colors look very similar. can’t wait to see the final paints together!

7. Sara
    April 20th, 2010 @ 1:40 pm

Teresa Grow (of Madison and Grow wallpaper fame) is a colorist. For a home I owned in MA, she selected a color that is called tan but more often is seen as green, it’s an historic color:
    Benjamin Mooreâ„¢ HC-81 Manchester Tan
    the trim we used was brighter than what you are looking at- we used BM Sail Cloth.
    I can send photos if you want. The light gives it great depth in the shadows.

8. Angela
    April 20th, 2010 @ 3:55 pm

Thanks for sharing Katy! C2 is a personal fave of mine as well:) We just used ‘Chelsea’ in their LoVo formula for my daughter’s room and it came out beautifully!

9. mopar
    April 23rd, 2010 @ 11:55 pm

I like the Cucumber. Ben, have you tried Paint Library? I’ve got their color cards and hope to order samples soon. (We are priming this week.)

10. sherry
    October 10th, 2010 @ 3:59 pm

Try c2 Salt Water

11. Susan
    January 10th, 2011 @ 3:17 pm

Love you color choice! I am driving myself nuts choosing paint colors for our new house (shh…that’s a secret for now, ha)! Farrow & Ball is my absolute favorite paint, but I am torn…glad to know I’m not the only one! :)

12. mary d
    February 11th, 2011 @ 1:41 pm

I would love to know what color of the living room and bathroom is. Please can one tell me
    Thanks you sooo much!