David Austin: English Roses For Shade

Posted on | April 7, 2010 | 15 Comments

side of house afternoon sun early april David Austin: English Roses For Shade

2666961857 93ded6ba9e David Austin: English Roses For Shade

We had our second architect visit today. I’m still trying to wrap my head around our renovation, the architect’s thoughts, and fees before I comment. I need to gulp that we could have gotten ourselves into a 100-200k renovation. Stay tuned…

It’s warm and 80 degrees here in Marblehead. The leaves and flowers are popping. Last night I was up late cruising the internet for English climbing roses. David Austin’s are beautiful and from what I have heard the most fragrant. I would love to do a wall of them down the side of our house. I know the house looks terrible now but imagine a fence and climbing roses between the windows? I think the house is going to be gray with black or dark green shutters. Pink, reds, and creams might be good accents? Below a few I picked from the site that were shade tolerant. I only get about 5 hours of direct sunlight on the side of my house.

English Roses David Austin Shade David Austin: English Roses For Shade

Blaze, Dr. Huey, and Sally Holmes Roses
Thomas O’Brien’s Garden
Dreaming of a Fancy Girl Kitchen

pixel David Austin: English Roses For Shade

Comments

15 Responses to “David Austin: English Roses For Shade”

1. Polly
    April 7th, 2010 @ 5:50 pm

Roses, I love them all but…check out the New Dawn rose, so hardy, and grows quickly, I have one growing on my old stone wall, it is the palest shade of pink and looks elegant in the simplest of vases…. also the color on your house, the gray with black sounds very pretty ! Polly

2. Emily
    April 7th, 2010 @ 6:07 pm

Creams and pinks would look lovely with the grey/black color scheme. Plus they mix well with other colors (I’m thinking wisteria and blue hydrangeas). Gorgeous!

April 7th, 2010 @ 8:16 pm

oh gosh Wisteria would be amazing too.

Maybe I should get the house fixed before I plant climbers? Not sure because it will take time for the plants to get established. So by the time they climb I will have the house painted?

hmm….

4. Roxane
    April 7th, 2010 @ 10:32 pm

Those roses are amazing! It got me thinking about planting some right outside my home office windows which face south so any roses I pick would have to endure “blast furnace” sunshine & heat during the summer.

You’re going to need an extremely strong support for the wistera. Have you considered shade tolerant clematis with the roses? It would look good with hydrangeas too, both are shown on this site http://www.finegardening.com/design/articles/shrubs-perennials-support-clematis-vines.aspx

Having been through a few house renovations and new builds, I’d wait on planting anything. I’ve found they always,always get stomped on!

5. Ann S.
    April 7th, 2010 @ 11:10 pm

I will say that a friend had cabbage roses climbing over a wall for twenty years and finally, this past winter, they overpowered (i.e. they are very heavy) the wall and it came tumbling down. The had to be trimmed back quite a bit. They’re tough little things!

6. Ann S.
    April 7th, 2010 @ 11:12 pm

Oh by the bye, the clematis is a wonderful idea. My grandfather has it running over the main house of his property and it is very light compared to many other climbers. Not to mention – beautiful vibrant color!

April 7th, 2010 @ 11:19 pm

I think maybe that’s the best idea Roxanne. I would love to get them going but afraid they will get ruined.

8. Jane
    April 8th, 2010 @ 8:29 am

I’d like to second Polly’s recommendation for a “New Dawn” climber: amazing profusion of shell pink blossoms, heavenly scent, hardy, vigorous growth. Sometimes a second bloom in fall. Equally enchanting is “Sea Foam”. I’ve had both growing for at least 8 years on the east side of my coastal home north of Marblehead.

9. Elle
    April 8th, 2010 @ 9:00 am

You may want to start the clematis in a large terra cotta pot with a lattice in the location you’ll be starting it…you might have better luck transplaning a potted clematis than keeping the handimen from squashing it.

this site has really simple to the point clematis facts: http://www.homeofclematis.net/index.htm

10. Robhttp://www.katyelliott.com/blog/2010/04/david-austin-english-roses-for-shade.html
    April 8th, 2010 @ 9:14 am

Beaten to the punch on the clematis recommendation. If you like perfume Clematis montana Elizabeth is a nice spring flowering selection. Also there’s no harm planting them now so that their root systems can get a head start. Then when it comes time for painting or whatever just prune the stems back close to the ground. Wont bother them at all – in fact for the summer flowering clematis this treatment is recommended.

11. Jennie
    April 8th, 2010 @ 9:16 am

A wall of roses is a gorgeous thing, indeed. *swoon* A word of caution, a wall of any vegetation can introduce a serious moisture and/or insect issue, especially for wood siding. Also, wysteria (definitely love wysteria!) has to be pruned like crazy. If left to its own devices its rampant, twining tendrils will lift siding, shutters, … I’ve even seen roof damage (this is also true of some climbing roses; one of mine — Mdm Gregoire Stachelin (sp?) — grew in between gable clapboards and actually bloomed in the attic!!). Regarding the moisture issue, I’ve had some success at preventing it by using trellises installed 12″ from the wall surface, to allow for air circulation. Oh, and I second the idea of growing clematis with roses. For instance, Marie Boisselot (sp?) is very shade tolerant and produces gorgeous white flowers that are 6″-8″ in diameter; definitely large enough in scale not to be lost in a wall of roses.

I hope I haven’t been discouraging (seriously, if I were in charge, I’d plant David Austen and antique roses everywhere), I just thought I’d pass on a couple things I’ve learned … the hard way. *g* Have fun planning your poseys. I can’t wait to see how your garden grows!

12. Patsy
    April 8th, 2010 @ 10:45 am

Mr. Pierce, on the waterside corner of Commercial and Gregory, has a bittersweet climber in a container. Perhaps, as Elle suggested, start the clematis in a pot, to enjoy now and transplant later.

13. Wendy
    April 8th, 2010 @ 12:03 pm

That’s a lot of money but if you could get a loan it would probably be a huge relief to have it all taken care of for you–new roof, structure, bathrooms, heating etc…I hope everything works out!

14. Ann Shumbo
    April 9th, 2010 @ 6:05 pm

I love David Austin Roses. I live in LA but I’m from CT and Boston. I wanted the country garden look. I researched every rose you can think of and wanted something that was low maintenance and disease free. I selected the Heritage and Mary Rose from David Austins collection. I love peonies (they don’t really grow here) and these roses bloom from spring through summer, are easy to maintain with fertilizer and some ammodiom sulfate? not sure how to spell. Mine look like pink peonies and they are the most gorgeous pink. I did buy the New Dawn for my climber but where I have it – I don’t get enough sun so I used the Cecil Brunner. I have an all pink garden. You will love them. They are fragrant and they make me happy all summer long.
    Ann @ Peggy and Fritz

April 10th, 2010 @ 12:23 pm

Thanks everyone for your insight. Maybe I should wait? Like most things I think I am jumping the gun. I can work on the rest of the garden this year and get back to the roses next spring.