Colorful Plant Cages

Posted on | April 26, 2010 | 10 Comments

Spotted at my local garden center this weekend, colorful plant cages. Did I start a trend? Last year I spray painted my tomato cages red. I got a ton of compliments from passers-by. The red cages gave the garden a pop of color while my plants were still growing in. By August my plants took over and the red accents disappeared.

I used a regular steel plant cage and Krylon’s Indoor/Outdoor spray paint in tomato red. Clean the tomato cages using a rag, spray on one light coat of paint in a well ventilated space, let dry and repeat till the cages are covered and glossy. Make sure to place your cages in your garden when you plant your vegetables etc. If you wait you could damage the plant’s established root system. Below photos of my tomato cages and garden from last year.

Marblehead Garden Center
164 West Shore Drive
Marblehead, MA
(781) 631-8558‎

Tomato Plants Late June

Tomato Plant Progress and Nasty Slugs in Early August
Gardening In Late June After Rain
Side Garden Progress in Late May 2009

Comments

10 Responses to “Colorful Plant Cages”

April 26th, 2010 @ 4:42 pm

So great! I like the red more than the crazy pinks and purples :)

2. Christie Chase
    April 26th, 2010 @ 11:48 pm

Spray painting them is a really genius idea!

3. KatieC
    April 27th, 2010 @ 8:21 am

Great idea – I’m buying a house this week and will finally have a yard and and a garden! A few weeks ago you posted a picture of a chair in your sister’s room (with a cable knit pillow). Do you know what color paint your sister used in that room? So pretty. Love your blog, and Happy Spring!

4. FROM THE RIGHT BANK
    April 27th, 2010 @ 11:01 am

I just love things like this that make the most of something utilitarian. I’d say you have started a trend – your red ones look great.

5. Archie McIntyre
    April 27th, 2010 @ 12:36 pm

Katy, Love tomatos and love your painted cages. They’d look great from a matching Round Back Chair in Bonfire. Take a look: http://gallery.me.com/amcintyre#100017/Bonfire-20Round-20Backs&bgcolor=black

6. handmadecharlotte
    April 27th, 2010 @ 9:23 pm

oh my soooo cool…..i love it….

7. chelsea
    April 28th, 2010 @ 10:50 am

Love this idea.

8. Snewell8
    April 28th, 2010 @ 4:48 pm

These are so cute! Your garden looks great – wish I had a garden in NYC!

9. Alva
    May 1st, 2010 @ 7:08 pm

What an awesome idea! I’m going to have to do this for sure!!! :)

10. Catherine