Bookshelves Around Door

Posted on | April 29, 2010 | 8 Comments

DSC 1889 Bookshelves Around Door

I started this post thinking I was going to build bookshelves around the window. Now that I see the photo on the page with my inspiration I realize that’s impossible. I don’t have any room above the window. Duh! Eventually we are going to put a new ceiling in, paint the walls, and strip the floors. Maybe I can just put a set of bookshelves next to the window but just not around? I would love to put a table below the window for terrariums.

I often call this the ‘little room’ which next to the upstairs den I am trying to pick paint colors for. Once you walk through the door to the right you enter a bedroom. Remember no real hallways in this house! I have to keep thinking… Below a few photos as inspiration.

holiday library Bookshelves Around Door

shelves around door Bookshelves Around Door

14655 Williams03 Bookshelves Around Door

Top: from The Holiday, Gregory Mellory, and here.

Shelves Around The Bathroom Door
Dining Room: Built In Shelving
English Cottage Inspiration from The Holiday

pixel Bookshelves Around Door

Comments

8 Responses to “Bookshelves Around Door”

1. Kate F.
    April 29th, 2010 @ 9:52 am

Seems like you could build in along the whole wall, up to the ceiling (and maybe pulling off the moldings to use on the top of the bookcases?), just not have a shelf above. Is that what you meant?

April 29th, 2010 @ 9:55 am

The molding above the window is actually a beam. It can’t be removed. I thought I had a little room between the window and the beam.

So maybe I just build floating bookshelves up to the beam?

3. Mimi
    April 29th, 2010 @ 10:11 am

Katy – how about putting bookcases on both sdes of the window and then the little table in front of he window for plants. Maybe if Greg were to cut the wainscoating off at the width of the window and then put some beadboad as a backing for the bookcases and attaching them to the wall, just a thought? We’re going to find that perfect little table for your plants.

4. Kate F.
    April 29th, 2010 @ 10:28 am

Ah. You could build in anyway, notching the backs out for the bean and then doing molding along the tops and sides of the bookcases until the point where they meet the beam over the window? Would be a nice nook and turn that little room into a library.

5. redbrickbuilding
    April 29th, 2010 @ 2:14 pm

What about putting bookshelves below the window (from the floor up to the window sill) instead of the table and terrariums? Obviously with floor to ceiling bookcases on either side of the window too to get the “wrapped” effect?

6. That's Not My Age
    May 2nd, 2010 @ 5:33 am

Lovely images – I love the idea of floor to ceiling book shelves. Keep thinking we should move from our two bedroom apartment to a house so that we can have more space for books!

7. Sonya
    May 2nd, 2010 @ 4:46 pm

Wow, the space has such potential. I’ve been going ’round and ’round with a similarly funny little room with and a storage unit full of homeless books and I think the floating shelves instead of the full on built-ins is the solution for both of us. As long as we don’t get too slick or too dense, I think we’ll be in business!

8. darbie
    May 4th, 2010 @ 2:55 pm

just moved in to a new house and i am planning on putting wall to wall bookshelves around the pocket door in my living room…was looking for inspiration photos to post on my blog (fieldguide35.blogspot.com)…and found this! love it! will definitely be linking to your post!