Sage Green Rooms

Posted on | March 17, 2010 | 18 Comments

green paint samples in room Sage Green Rooms

The paint samples are continuing to dry in the den. The sun has returned but no room in my house could ever be classified as “sunny”. The house sits west which in the winter gives us some nice light on the back of house—which hardly has any windows— and afternoon sun in the front.

My favorites so far are #1 Cooking Apple and #3 Vert De Terre. In the photo above the colors look grayer then they do in real life. I am getting a lot of votes for #2 which is more blue then green. The room behind the den is going to blue so don’t fret if your color doesn’t win this round. Cooking Apple Green and Vert De Terre are both lovely colors but they are too dark for my space. Farrow & Ball was kind enough to send me a few more samples to try out. Stay tuned…

I imagine the walls to be a sage green like the rooms I found below on marthastewart.com. I realize the walls will look dark until I add furnishings, trim, and lighting. Picking paint colors that are up against stark white walls in an isolated scenario is probably not the best idea.

mla104089 0908 guestbed xl Sage Green Rooms

sage green rooms from martha stewart Sage Green Rooms

Green Paint Samples On Wall
Pale Green Walls with Cream Trim
Green on Greene

pixel Sage Green Rooms

Comments

18 Responses to “Sage Green Rooms”

1. Kate F.
    March 17th, 2010 @ 12:51 pm

While #5 is definitely not the type of green you’re looking for, I do think that is closer to the tone you’re showing in the inspiration pictures. Do you have some white you can mix with the winning colors to see what they look like in lighter tones?

2. Elise of Argyle Whale
    March 17th, 2010 @ 12:55 pm

I love sage green with wood floors. Good luck picking a color. We were happy to move into a place that already had green walls. http://www.flickr.com/photos/justinandelise/3935776584/in/set-72157622413135788/
    our paint is called “dillweed” which we couldn’t help but laugh about.

3. Jenny at LGN
    March 17th, 2010 @ 12:59 pm

Loving Vert de Terre. Wow, such a beautiful color, though you’re right that it might be too dark for the space. I’ve had luck with asking for white paint to be added to favorite colors (that were too dark) during the mixing process. I wonder if you could get a sample pot of the Vert De Terre or the Cooking Apple cut by 50%?

4. amy
    March 17th, 2010 @ 1:02 pm

If I were you I would wait until the ceiling and trim is painted with your white/cream color before picking the wall color. Maybe even after you refinish the floor. It will change the way the wall color looks!

5. Kathy G
    March 17th, 2010 @ 2:24 pm

I just read that they are selling Martha Stewart paint colors at Home Depot. A few years ago I painted every room in my house with colors from the Martha Stewart paint line that she sold at Kmart….she has a real knack for those green shades you love.

6. Laisla
    March 17th, 2010 @ 2:42 pm

Numbers 2,4 and 5 have my vote. Farrow & Ball have outstanding paint collections and so too does Fired Earth http://www.firedearth.com/ there is another company which has a wonderful selection of muted lime wash type heritage colours but I can’t quite remember the name, when I do, shall drop you a comment.

March 17th, 2010 @ 3:04 pm

I won’t actually pick a color for a few months. I need to see how the colors look in more summer months too. Once the leaves come in my house is even darker.

Color is such a longer process for me. If I could get it down to at least six choices in the next month that would be great.

The process of stripping the floors, ceiling, and other stuff will all be happening at once too.

March 17th, 2010 @ 5:23 pm

#1 is definitely my fave (the left 3 are altogether my faves from the entire set). Maybe Green Ground will work better than Cooking Apple? Or even Teresa’s Green.

9. Barbara
    March 17th, 2010 @ 11:35 pm

I love your wall of sample colors!! I do like #4 too… it’s truly a lovely color. This is fun. ;)

10. Delores
    March 17th, 2010 @ 11:51 pm

I’m a sucker for sage green rooms. Sage green anything actually. Then there is apple green, olive green, and majolica green. I love green. Your room is going to be fabulous. Love the far left and the far right sample!

11. Kristen
    March 18th, 2010 @ 2:40 am

#5 is almost it. I used to have an interior painting company and do decorative panting. try SW Ramie. Gorgeous up.
    Nice neutral with a green tint. Test it because when you see the tiny swatch, you may not see its potential. I never had a customer do anything but love it! =)

12. filoderba
    March 18th, 2010 @ 3:40 am

I like green ground. perhaps less green-green, but it’s quite bright and will give some light to your room. I would be scared to take a too green color on a large surface, suspecting that it will turn out oppressing and in the end, boring.

13. Liz
    March 18th, 2010 @ 10:42 pm

heh, that’s funny; i was going to comment on the first post with the paint swatches on the wall, but then i thought, maybe she doesn’t actually want commentary from the peanut gallery on this one! so i didn’t. but lo and behold, your favorites are two of my favorites! the other is green ground, which is the lightest, which is probably why i like it so much. i like a sage-ier green myself, at least in this room. any way you paint it, though, this room is going to be amazing! i have a teeny tiny 1927 bungalow that i’m slowly giving a facelift, so i appreciate all the work you’re doing and the detail you pass along on your blog! keep up the good work!

14. Mopar
    March 19th, 2010 @ 8:15 am

I’m not sure F&B makes a light sage, or a pistachio. Pale Hound is too yellow, in my experience. What did they say when you asked?

Their creams, grays, and blues are intriguing. Borrowed Light seems to be a popular choice.

15. Isabel
    March 24th, 2010 @ 8:39 pm

I must say, I just love you putting together these inspirations on green – as I have been through the same process through the last year – choosing the perfect green for my hallway (obviously similar taste as yours) – want to decorate with a botanical theme (prints etc.). I actually recall standing in front of my walls different times of day / season asking myself – does the green need more yellow or blue to it? Does it need to be lighter / darker / more greyish? And all these nights with “Vert de terre”, “Cooking apple green” and those terms in my head… Indeed – I do find the green question rather tricky – striking just the right balance between a too light or too dark, a too warm (heavy!) or too cold green (that feels almost blue to me then…) not easy. I do find the not so saturated greens with lots of grey in them are quite elegant. Vert de Terre for me would be a bit too cold – the second from the right you have – way too light – to me that would be too much on the sweet side. If it was for my hallway – I think I’d mix Vert de Terre, Cooking apple and the light one (no. 2 from the right). Best of luck! I’ll send you a picture once I’m done and will keep an eye on your progress!

16. Mary
    March 26th, 2010 @ 11:01 am

F&B Old White is a really nice muted green in almost every light. Good luck… it will be fabulous no matter what!

17. Devon
    March 26th, 2010 @ 1:59 pm

#4 photographs really well but I fully understand the distinction between what’s beautiful in person vs. a photograph.

Best of luck. Farrow & Ball’s colors are gorgeous.

18. Cindy
    March 16th, 2011 @ 11:47 pm

LOVE that you posted all of these different green paint colors. I was searching for a way to convey the importance of undertones when choosing a green color and ran across your wonderful blog! Love your house! I will definitely follow! I linked you to my post! I hope you get a chance to check it out sometime. Keep having fun with that awesome house! :0)