Recipe: Brioche

Posted on | March 4, 2010 | 10 Comments

4404340507 79cd735435 Recipe: Brioche

After making brioche I gave myself a pat on the back. If I can make brioche I can do anything, right? Probably not anything but conquering a recipe that is known for a high failure rate is a huge ego boost. I kept saying to my boyfriend, “I made this. Amazing, right?” Hopefully the rush I feel from conquering brioche will extend to other parts of my life like getting my butt back to yoga.

The brioche “tastes like heaven” according to my boyfriend. It’s insanely buttery, silky, crusty good. Pretty close to perfection in a breakfast treat. The recipe I used called for three sticks of butter which makes it pretty rich. I’ve had a belly ache after every piece, which really hasn’t stopped me from eating more, but I thought I should put it out there as a warning.

The recipe I used is from Dorie Greenspan’s book, Baking: From My Home To Yours. The cinnamon swirl bread I made a few weeks ago is from the same book. If you don’t know Dorie she writes a great blog, has written countless cookbooks, and also writes a column for Bon Appetit. Instead of me typing out the entire recipe I am going to send you to over to a piece Dorie did for Bon Appetit called, Brioche Made Easy. The recipe is slightly different then version featured in her book but I am sure it’s a winner too. The article includes great tips and a recipe. Above and below photos from my brioche that I choose to make into a loaf. So delicious. Enjoy!

p.s. I turned the other half of the dough into Honey Pecan Sticky Buns for Friday morning breakfast. See photos below.

DSC 1927 Recipe: Brioche

DSC 1942 Recipe: Brioche

4408163915 0b5be317bc Recipe: Brioche

4408164227 28e89057b5 Recipe: Brioche

4408164051 9c012b981d Recipe: Brioche

Recipe: Cinnamon Swirl Bread
Recipe: No-Knead Bread

pixel Recipe: Brioche

Comments

10 Responses to “Recipe: Brioche”

1. ClaraAnne
    March 4th, 2010 @ 12:12 pm

What a beauty! Its always such a great sense of achievement to pull out a loaf of homemade bread. Yours belongs in the window of a pastry shop!

2. ellen Crimi-Trent
    March 4th, 2010 @ 1:48 pm

Hi katy,

I just found your blog from Mary Englebreit’s blog and I wanted to say hello to a fellow MA homeowner and blogger. Although I live in the South Shore, but I have a friend who has lived in your town all here life and is a fellow artist as well.

Have you ever met Carol Eldridge? here is here link http://caroleldridge.typepad.com

3. chelsea
    March 4th, 2010 @ 2:12 pm

Katy, you should be very proud! It sounds kind of hard to make. It looks beautiful and delicious!!

4. Emily
    March 4th, 2010 @ 3:14 pm

Wow, congratulations! It looks so good – I’m drooling all over my keyboard!

5. Nancy Gail Ring
    March 4th, 2010 @ 5:35 pm

Katy, your brioche is beautiful and once again so are you photos. I really must insist that you give us a post of tips on how to photograph food the way you do. Please? Thanks for an inspiring post.

March 4th, 2010 @ 9:02 pm

So gorgeous and delicious. You’re doing nothing to help my carb control!

7. Jennifer
    March 5th, 2010 @ 11:10 am

Oh my goodness those sticky buns look delicious. And I love the light you get from that kitchen window — always pretty.

8. stella
    March 5th, 2010 @ 6:04 pm

my husband has been on a bread baking tear ever since christmas. (that and learning french, and running? wth? – i think early midlife crisis. or new dad somethingorother…)

i will forward this along to him – selfishly. I LOVE BRIOCHE. i can practically smell that loaf all the way here in atlanta. mmmmmmmmmmmmm. lovely. good job!

9. Tricia
    March 9th, 2010 @ 8:50 pm

You go girl! Brioche is no easy feat–it looks absolutely delicious. I must try this…

10. Audrey
    March 15th, 2010 @ 2:23 am

Wow, I’m amazed at how beautifully you captured the food. The light is fantastic! And the food looks delicious. I know that feeling of conquering something daunting like that- it makes you feel like you’re capable of anything, doesn’t it? It makes up for all the recipes that don’t turn out so great.