Linen, Mens Suiting, and Dress Shirt Fabric

Posted on | March 29, 2010 | 10 Comments

Last week while I was in New York I took a quick little trip over to the Garment District for some fabric inspiration. My first stop the Fabric Czar— a men’s suiting and custom tailoring shop on West 39th street. I was searching for a light gray window paned wool with a red accent for a side chair in my den. I found a few I liked with yellow and brown accents but no red. The store is a feast for the eyes. Along one side is cotton stripes used for men’s dress shirts. The majority of the space is a collection of fine wools and plaids. I wouldn’t say it was cheap. Most of the fabrics I choose were about $60/yard. It’s still unclear to me if this shop is wholesale or retail or both. When asked if I could purchased using credit they said, cash only. But sometimes I feel in the garment district I have to really tough and kinda pushy to really get a straight answer.

Across the street I popped into Gray Lines Linen. The store is full of upholstery and drapery grade linen fabric. I’ve been searching for a striped linen to make a duvet for my bed. Fyi most of the stripes I found are on the very top shelf which is really hard to see when you first walk into the store. The staff was really helpful and showed me a stack of samples and allowed me to take a few home. The three I choose were 60″ wide and about $4 a yard (they were running a special). Insanely cheap and really great quality. Now which one to choose for a duvet?

p.s. my sister bought a bolt of linen from Gray Lines that we used for two chairs, a tufted bench, and a tufted headboard. All came out beautiful!

Looking for more resources in the Garment District? Click on the related post links below.

Fabric Czar
257 West 39th Street (Garment District)
New York, NY
(212) 475-6666
fabricczar.com

Gray Line Linen
260 W. 39th Street (Garment District)
New York, NY
(212) 391-4130
graylinelinen.com

M&J Buttons
Daytona Trimming Co
Mood Fabrics
All New York Shops

Comments

10 Responses to “Linen, Mens Suiting, and Dress Shirt Fabric”

1. chelsea
    March 29th, 2010 @ 12:42 pm

simply dying over the dressing shirt fabrics!!! i always look at them at our fabric store and wish we had a bigger selection.. thanks for sharing!!

March 29th, 2010 @ 7:36 pm

Looks like so much fun! I too easily become overwhelmed in stores like these because I need to look at EVERYTHING!

3. jehan
    March 30th, 2010 @ 12:24 am

This sounds amazing. I live in men’s shirts.

4. Jenn
    March 30th, 2010 @ 12:05 pm

So smart to check out a men’s suiting shop. I love the fabrics of patterns on classic button-downs.

5. Monica
    March 30th, 2010 @ 1:27 pm

Thank you sooo much for posting about these fabric stores! I live in NY and even frequent the garment district for fabric. However, I was not aware of Gray Lines Linens. And I am looking for some Linen to make a table cover. I will be checking this place out tomorrow!

6. Ann S.
    March 30th, 2010 @ 4:35 pm

I LOVE M&J. You know who else is great for suiting buttons and odds and ends? Bergen Tailors. By far my favorite for really gorgeous shirt and suit buttons! As if thinking fabrics didn’t make your head swim enough!

7. Sarahbeth
    March 31st, 2010 @ 9:54 am

Be still my heart! I love a linen and wool – eye candy galore – thanks for sharing!

8. jen jafarzadeh
    April 1st, 2010 @ 8:12 am

great finds! I’m headed to the Garment District today so I may check these out. fabric is so dangerously tempting to buy!

9. Blue Island Girl
    July 14th, 2011 @ 10:49 am

I’d be so dangerous there. Projects Galore! Enjoy

10. Lydia
    July 14th, 2011 @ 11:25 am

Fantastic swatching you got there! Next time you’re in NYC, drop a line. I’d love to learn about textiles from your expertise and perspective.

(I guess Mood doesn’t carry a swath of masculine fabrics like Czar? Good idea to go to a men’s purveyor…)